STONER ROCK, SLUDGE METAL, DRONE, DOOM! music thread

person

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I can prop the Melvins at length here. The whole catalog (which is enormous, they've been around a long time) is worth investigating. They manage to change up flavors without changing up essential style, if that makes any sense. Put another way, you recognize the song as them but there's plenty of variety. Houdini and Stoner Witch seem to be the best known, but I'll go older or newer depending on my mood. Ozma/Gluey Porch Treatments still satisfies; Bullhead is a good dronier one to draw to; Honky for the true weirdness. The absorption of the Big Business dudes was also a good move; Senile Animal and Nude with Boots benefit from that influence of belting out some harmonized vocals on a few songs, sometimes almost upbeat/major key vocals yet the songs retain the stoner sludge evilness.

Coady Willis is an animal. I saw a Melvins/Big Business show and after BB opened, Dale Crover set up his kit right next to Coady's. They then played the entire Melvins set with both drummers playing in perfect sync, which blew my mind. I mean they played all the parts exactly alike at the same time, like stereo drums. I had the idea a long time ago of having two drummers in a band so they could hurricane it up and fill in each others' holes. These guys did the opposite. It was amesome to watch.

Hostile Ambient Takeover was a good disc. I would say "overlooked" but I feel like the Melvins are largely overlooked in the first place.

If you skateboard, the new thrasher video, prevent this tragedy, has the sword, sleep and witch in it. I'm not used to having the music i listen to show up in skate vids, its been happening more and more.

anyway, WITCH

Can't go wrong with J Mascis on the skins.

Witchst.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?o2xzz6cz0du

wasn't too into the second album, more punky and fast, not as heavy and riff-filled as the self-titled

BARONESS

Not a huge fan of their recent full length, the blue one. Red was alright, Blue sucks.

The first two EPs are the best, and are still great listens.

first.jpg

FIRST

http://rapidshare.com/files/98712277/First_EP_ByRobixxx.rar.html

baroness_second.jpg

SECOND

http://rapidshare.com/files/37327318/BARONESS____second____misanthropians.zip

Have to check these out, I recently got into them through there Blue album (which I liked a lot).