Bonsai Trees

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 5 months later...

statistics show that overwatering is the most common killer of bonsai or young trees. try it again and hope for better results. i've killed a good dozen or two in the last year trying to learn what the hell i'm doing. just now starting to feel like i know a little bit. it gets better..

• Like 1

Keeping a juniper under a shade canopy will have a major impact on the tree and it will kill it after time, they dont like being dripped on and are full sun.Responder where you at, what zone?

I'm no Bonsai master but I am a certified horticulturist. Being Zone 5A to 5B my climate isn't really a Bonsai mecca. We have issues with placement here with Jap maples,any southwest exposure and it's lights out after one winter.

How tight are those root balls wrapped?

@ Frate

Zone 10B so we are in ideal conditions. They were left for dead, hense why they are in thatlocation.

as for the root balls, I have yet to re-pot it. so i don't know what technique was use in the production area when they assembled these.

@ cuttybigmac I'm not sure but that's what I'm going to try and find out.

i've heard reports from people about junipers that wound up looking dead and then after years of looking that way popped some new growth. i'd treat it right and put it someplace appropriate and just wait, but that's me.

diggin' those ficus! i've got a little cutting i'm working on, but it's a little twig yet...one day.

just read a bunch of this thread.

i started planting shit for the first time in my life this last summer.

a lot of what i did is already dead (or waiting for spring??).

it seems i have a lot to learn. (i admittedly have no idea what i'm doing)

my biggest concern is my japanese dwarf cedar--about a month after i planted it it started getting brown spots, now about 5 months later it is mostly brown--have i completely fucked it or can i save it? its potted with standard potting soil and steer manure.

recommendations for good "getting started" books?

there are a lot of them out there. i just got craig coussins' bonsai school and bonsai master class in the mail a few weeks ago. good info in both, but bonsai school would get you going and is reasonably in depth as a starter voulme. got a used one on amazon for less that $15.

go here in the meantime. lots of good info to be had there. i really don't know enough to tell you whether the manure is good or not for that kind of cedar, but they definitely prefer to grow in a well draining soil mix that doesn't keep them too wet. usually it's mostly coarse sand, with some inorganic and organic matter thrown in. (i.e., aged bark for organics and volcanic rock or turface for your inorganics in 'most' cases) everybody seems to have their own preference based on where they're growing bonsai. did you repot it into that mix?

• Like 1

yeah i repotted.

maybe its just too rainy here (tacoma, wa) to try moisture sensitive stuff outside?

is it okay to repot at this time of year when frost is likely? or since its pretty well fucked just give it a shot?

thanks for the help. gonna order the bonsai school tonight.

no problem, man..i just joined the local bonsai club this month, so i'll probably be getting my knowledge on a lot this year. i'd probably try to let it ride out the winter if possible at this point, just because when you repot it's going to stress the tree and with the harsh conditions just won't be good if it's already stressed like that. are you familiar with mycorrhizae? that's my other concern. most times when you repot a conifer or evergreen you want to take the old soil and mix it with some water and then pour the liquid over the top of your repotted tree to make sure that the beneficial (i think it's technically a fungus, but the two have a symbiotic relationship that helps the tree get the most out of its soil) business gets reintroduced. at this point i'd just let it ride and see what happens with a repot in the spring. bonsai is a great patience builder that way. and if it dies, try it over again. i've learned something every time i've killed a tree.

thanks, i'll just wait another month or so then til it lightens up.

my wife told me about this place, elandan gardens. which isn't too far a drive for me. i'll be going there in a month or two. will def get some pics.

and i learned that weyerhauser has a garden with 60 bonsai about 20 minutes away. hurrah.

i guess i should start a flickr for this coming season...

It's in my opinion that transplanting any coniferous plant in the winter is a bad idea. It is alive through out the winter and the freeze thaw cycles that naturally occur it will try to absorb some form of moisture. Some people will say soak it before the ground freezes, but thats not enough unless your going at it ever warm day that you can run a hose on it,its useless...wait it out. If it can't not take up moisture the small root hairs will go first, then you will see browning and eventually die back. I've been on installs that contractors pushed on and planted anyway and lost 900 hick yews,and thousands of dollars.

I'm not a small container gardener at all,so I don't know what steps you guys are taking in the pruning of the root balls.I avoid small containers in my designs,but I have worked a lot on large scale containers on roof tops or in condo complexes.

• 8 months later...

its sad to see this thread get so little attention. i'm going to post in here and probably start a thread of its own in channel zero.

I've had some success and failure this year with bonsai. Most of my success has been with dwarf rhododendrons, though. had a 'blue planet' that was thriving and then had a hot week and lost all of its needles, shoulda moved it inside i now know.

Here are some pictures from my trip this week to the Weyerhauser Bonsai Garden in Federal Way, WA.

IMG_0417.jpg

Mountain Hemlock

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

Elephant Bush, 1960

IMG_0423.jpg

Sweet Plum, 1973

IMG_0425.jpg

Willow Leaf Fig, 1976

IMG_0427.jpg

Rock and Water Penjing, 1990

IMG_0429.jpg

Chinese Banyan, 1985

IMG_0431.jpg

Jasmine Orange, 1955

IMG_0433.jpg

Green Island Fig, 1965

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

Chinese Juniper on Sierra Juniper, Bonsai since 1970 trunk is dated to ca 1000

IMG_0438.jpg

Hinoki Cypress, 1983

IMG_0440.jpg

Catlin Elm, 1973

IMG_0442.jpg

Trident Maple, 1950

IMG_0444.jpg

Satsuki Azalea, 1990

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

Japanese White Pine, Unknown

IMG_0449.jpg

Chinese Elm, 1985

IMG_0451.jpg

Satsuki Azalea, 1910, grown since 1880

IMG_0453.jpg

Korean Horbeam, 1975

IMG_0455.jpg

Japese Maple, 1964, there are 59 trees growing in this piece

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

Chinese Elm, 1975

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

Chinese Hackberry, 1952, the tree was over 20 feet tall before it was cut down and then the stump was saved for its potential.

IMG_0465.jpg

Japanese Maple, 1968

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

Cork Bark Japanese Black Pine, 1965

IMG_0470.jpg

Tucker Oak, 1940, tree dated to 1840

IMG_0472.jpg

Golden Atlas Cedar,1957

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

Sierra Juniper, 1991

IMG_0477.jpg

Creeping Juniper, 1940

IMG_0479.jpg

Satsuki Azalea 1975

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

Japanese Red Pine, 1990

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

Eastern White Cedar, 1989, tree dated to 1750ca

IMG_0487.jpg

Mountain Hemlock, 1986, tree dated to 1870

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

American Larch, 1972, tree since 1830

IMG_0492.jpg

Creeping Juniper, 1957

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

Coast Redwood, 1957

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

Sierra Juniper, 1975, tree dated to 1700

IMG_0500.jpg

Satsuki Azalea, 1975

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

Eastern White Cedar, 1992, tree dated to 1770

IMG_0506.jpg

Creeping Hydrangea, 1989, plant since 1960

IMG_0508.jpg

Western Hemlock, 1965, tree since 1930

IMG_0514.jpg

Trident Maple, 1971, 25 trees in this saikei

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

Formosan Juniper, 1962

IMG_0521.jpg

Japanese White Pine with Spruce, 1976

IMG_0523.jpg

Japanese Beech, 1958

IMG_0525.jpg

Olive, 1969, this tree was taken from an olive orchard planted in 1880

• Like 1

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

San Jose Juniper, 1982

IMG_0531.jpg

Chinese Elm, 1985

IMG_0533.jpg

Japanese Black Pine, 1950

IMG_0536.jpg

Shimpaku Juniper, 1980

IMG_0538.jpg

Blue Atlas Cedar, 1969

IMG_0540.jpg

Kishu Juniper grafted on San Jose Juniper, 1981, trunk from 1950

IMG_0543.jpg

Catlin Elm, 1970

IMG_0545.jpg

Silverberry, 1946

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

Formosan Juniper, 1959

IMG_0553.jpg

Mugo Pine and Ezo Spruce, 1985

IMG_0558.jpg

Chinese Elm, bonsai since 1980

IMG_0563.jpg

Japanese Maple, 1956

IMG_0565.jpg

Bald Cypress, 1972

IMG_0567.jpg

Satsuki Azalea, 1960

IMG_0569.jpg

Formosan Hackberry, 1975, tree dated to 1780

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

Western Hemlock, bonsai since 1991, tree date unknown

If you're ever in the area this place is amazing. I went in the spring and there were about 10 different trees that have been rotated in/out since then. Spring is also great because there is the rhododendron garden there that is absolutely phenomenal.

Bonsai trees have always amazed me, they fucking rule.

I've tried to start my own, it's been surviving and growing for a few months. It's a Jacaranda tree, we have a few near home and smaller ones start to spread and grow so I dug a tiny one up and I've potted it, I'll take some photos after work.

Don't know how it will turn out but here's some Google examples -

jacaranda_bonsai_by_wizzoo7-d37mbze.jpg

Brazilian%20Jacaranda.jpg

321119025_tp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So it's called training trees? Haha that's awesome. I know training trees doesn't make them bonsai, but after viewing this thread it now made sense why one of the plants is in a shallow pot. He also has a shit ton of desert rose (Adenium obesum) plants. My mom constantly barked at him for having a backyard full of them, but he finally felt 75% of them were ready to be sold and sold they were. I don't know if the ones my dad has are considered bonsai, but I'll post some flicks when I can.