Bonsai Trees

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Great idea. I did a websearch and found an article about using one in a aquarium so I imagine you could create a minature silt and salt water base (maybe with a pump for circulation) and just train it. I guess it would be like a small scale hydro op.

no_mangrove_ill.jpg

Here is the article for you.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=16+2159&aid=3133

hmmm thanks. I guess it would be hard considering the see that starts is already like 6 inches. I got no problem giving i a try. I find it funny there is a web site talking about using them in aquariums...considering at least in my area if you damage one or are transporting a seedling its like a 15,000 dollar fine. Protected sonsofabeitches.

edit : never mind I actually read further and I didnt know they breed them in nurseries for private use. AWESOME!!

Here's another project of mine. It's called a Flame Tree (Delonix Regula) real common in South Africa where my fam is from. I hope to have something like this one day. Pic is stolen.

2008061014515320060601025358FLAMBOY.jpg

This is it wild outdoors.

flamboyant-tree.jpg

This is mine at 4 years. I slacked on pruning. Don;t slack on pruning if you want to have something nice.

DSCN2555.jpg

In my area on the water theyre protected. Every since I can remember theyve been extremely strict if you have a seed and or any other part of their plants. Im just going to order one out of cali. Theyre cheap pods. Never knew that they breed them in a nursery. I was just gonna grab one while kayaking one day.

^^cool-ass tree!! reminds me of the maples around where i live in the fall...

today i took a cutting from a japanese maple and a red plum tree. we'll see what happens.

i also repotted my red cedar that i pulled out of the wild a few months ago. it's got a lot of character for a little tree.

3574439672_342e838ddd.jpg

i hope i can keep this one alive. one day it might be as cool as this.

3494494259_d1dba3dcf0.jpg

just thought i'd share and keep this going.

• Like 1

I'm in the process of purchasing a bonsai. I'm trying to find a tree that looks like a scaled down large, old Oak tree if possible. I am then going to be building a scaled down model tree house in the bonsai. Hopefully all goes well. I will post pics once I purchase the tree and the process which will be within a fortnight.

Thats a pretty sweet idea. Good luck with it, post pics when your done.

I have had a few bonsais over the years and the best for me have been yamadori, the ones collected from the wild. If your lucky enough to live near mountain like me there are TONS of potential species available. Mostly pine species and junipers but with the extreme conditions of the mountains the best thing to do is get your self a pail of dirt, dig up a tree and bring it home. Also collecting moss is from lets say a river bank or something like that looks gret near the bonsai as well as keeps moisture in the soil.

• 2 weeks later...

i've been harvesting a lot of little wild trees this spring. got a privet and put it in my bonsai pot a couple of weeks ago and it's already off to a good start...i'll try to get some flicks in here soon.

if your mom's got a japanese maple it ain't much to get some rooting hormone and take a few cuttings. in a matter of a few weeks or a month you'll have some little trees.

it's dope...and you get to pick trees with character that you want to build on. i've got probably close to twenty now, and i'm going to let almost all of them hang out for about a year and get comfortable before i start to move them into bonsai pots and wash roots, etc. it just depends on the species and how hardy it is. get them soon though, and they'll probably do well with the rest of the growing season to get acclimated.

Sometimes you can rescue some very interesting things from the local garden centre at home depot and places like that. Or if your in a city with lots of old abandoned buildings look around there too. A friend of mine has a CRAZY juniper that used to be infront of some lab. Its atleast 50-60 years old and is all twisted and junk. One night he went over there and dug it up, pruned it and has has it ever since. That tree pretty much got me into bonsai in the first place.

i've been getting more serious about this...thought i'd share my progression..

this privet is the only one in a proper dish right now. grows like a weed. the rest i'll let grow for the year and repot next spring.

3641475429_42c1bb21ab.jpg

my little nursery. i got a wisteria the other day. crepe myrtles last week. lots of red cedars and some more privet for a forest scene.

3641478991_325af03b6d.jpg

i love the trunkline on this cedar. no homo

3642290540_4dc0c36b8a.jpg

my cuttings. three japanese maple (on green, two red), a mountain laurel and a red plum.

3641484255_26be31db68.jpg

my green maple after two and a half/three weeks. it's started to stand back up and hopefully has some roots down there. again, no homo...

3642294680_fabb426a86.jpg

we'll see what happens. let's see some trees..

• Like 1

One of my neighbors is/was a gardener ... he has some trees in the front yard that he is constantly working on. I have missed 2 good photo ops so far thinking of posting in this thread.

I will get some pics when I can. I'm waiting to get some with him working out there, rather than just the yard/trees.

I had gotten a Bonsai from an admirer of mine 2 years ago for my birthday and it by far was the best plant I ever had.

Unfortunately when I moved to new home, they remodeled. During construction, they took my bonsai threw it in a bag and tossed it to the side. I was already at work and didn't come home until late in the evening. When i found bonsai he was out of the pot, some of the branches had been broken and the delicate leaves were limp. I tried to revive Bonsai but to no avail. Needless to say I pitched a fit the size of a football stadium. I don't even care, when you you take the time out of your day every day for a year to care for something living you create an attachment to it, i was super upset, other Phil Collins had the hardest time consoling me. I haven't been able to get another one. Maybe this year...

All you really had to do was spray it with water in the evening and keep it near a window open since they are trees and like to be outside if you live in the city.

Watering in the evening saves the water-burn the droplets and the sun might do in the sunlight.

I say plants in general are win, but Bonsai's takes the cake.

from what i think i understand, yes they will. BUT, i believe it can depend on how happy your bonsai is, pollenating factors, and stuff like that. some trees will only produce fruits on the previous year's growth, for example. i'll see what else i can find out, and see what i have around here that might work...i like the idea.

having troubles with whitefly. it knocked the crap out of my little wisteria and one of my little crepe myrtles, but i have hopes for them both. my little oak is backbudding and looks like it's gonna live too. word.

i had heard fruit bonsai prodcue fruit? I've also heard they dont, anybody know?

i would imagine they would. however sometimes normal trees don't, i've heard that sometimes the tree needs to be "stressed" when they won't.

i once watched a programme where a boy dug up around a huge pear tree and put concrete slabs down so the roots couldn't spread, he said that'd cause the tree to panic and produce pears again after years of not doing so.

i'll try and get pics of the ones in my garden up at some point.