Graffiti artist sues Rockstar!

STYLEISKING

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah no shit. It was a joke about how ridiculous it would be to sue him. Damn Theo I thought you were smarter than that.

oh. i guess i didn't see the joke, because a lawsuit against rockstar isn't parallel to a lawsuit against a voice-over actor

i can understand if daze was trying to sue the dude that did the voice for one of the main gta characters

I've seen graffiti in video games that I know the writers did get paid for.

Electronics Arts pays writers for pieces.

The Tony Hawk games paid writers.

I'm assuming the Mark Ecko game paid writers?

The video game industry isn't in the market to rip people off and most of the art directors between video game companies talk. Daze is digging his own hole.

its foolish to say someone has spent less time

"with" graffiti because their opinion differs from

yours. i would understand if rockstar was making

money off of the piece being there. but they

arent, they made money off of gta3 because it

made amazing new leaps and bounds for

videogames. i just cant stand it when people

sue over some bullshit like this. up until i see

both pictures side by side (the one painted by

daze, the one in the video game) im going to

not take sides completely but i am definitely

leaning towards rockstars side because people

sue other people way too often.

But it's Rockstar that fucked up in this case. If the art director over there goes to his counterpart at EA and says

"don't hire Daze, he sued us" then I imagine they'll reply "you should have hired him in the first place, like we all do."

Incidentally, I work as an art director for TV shows, commercials, and music videos. Not quite the same thing, but it's similar.

Whenever someone requests graffiti, I hire real writers that have put in real work. They're the ones who are creating the demand

for graffiti in marketing by putting shit out there in the public eye, so when Viacom or Sony or whoever wants to commodify it, I

want to do my best to make sure that the money they put into it is going to the people who deserve it. I agree that there are a lot

of frivilous lawsuits out there, and it's annoying, but not nearly as annoying as a giant corporation ripping off the creators of the very

thing that said corporation is trying to commodify.

If a producer hires me to paint a wall in a studio to look like some grilled spot in Manhattan for their music video, I'm not

going to go in there myself and put up a bunch of Cycle and Earsnot tags. But if I did, and they sued the producers for it,

I'd be the one who's not getting hired again. And I would blame my own dumb ass, not the artists.

*Note: Above names chosen arbitrarily, based solely on the fact that that's what an authentic New York wall would actually look like.

Some of you kids are rediculous. How you gonna disrespect an oldschool cat for having a comon name? Dude was probably the only one writing that shit when he started. And calling him an artschool homo? Dude was bombing subway trains before you were probably born. Yo it's MAD disrespectful toys with no respect for the oldheads up in here.

Somebody post a flick of the video game jawn so we can see if it even looks like dudes shit or not.

co signed...dudes need to get the taste smacked out they mouf.

you people are weird (drunkenasshole, dawood). so what, the dude wrote on a bunch of shit. that means i should blindly follow what he does, or be ok with it? do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

that being said, harvey i dont deny that your side has a point, all im saying is show me both pictures so i can decide for myself if the dude should even have a case or if it's a total joke.

only one dude called him an artschool homo and no one was dissing him for having a common name, the point of bringing that up was that since it's so commonly used rockstar may have decided on it because it's common. sort of like using "king" or something of that nature.

You telling me this aint a diss?

Rockstar should counter sue with "Hey you brillo pad fuckhead with the jerry curl he stole from the jackson 5. You write daze which is coincedentally one of the most common names in graff. Either change your name or sue brillo pad for mass producing your hair as an effective cleaning scrub"

Yo for real though, this whole convo should just be deaded till somebody comes up with a flick.

It's weird that there are so many people in this thread that are siding with ROCKSTAR. Take 2 interactive,, which is the parent company, grossed $230 million dollars last quarter. They could have payed dude a couple grand up front, but like the fucking scum bags they are, they thought they would try and get over. Fuck them...win or lose, I'm glad they have to pay HUGE lawyer fees in this IP lawsuit.

They probably pulled the image from a magazine/book and got clearance from the publisher and therefore Daze has no rights, he's just being greedy.

Daze could sue the magazine/book source but then he will have to admit to vandalism and might get some fall out from that unless everything he did was legal?

i thought you were supposed to focus on hooker-beating in this game?

"shit shit shit, i'm almost to the goal, almost to the goal, just hold up you piece of shit car, hold up piece of shit car...

wait!

[slams on cars brakes, gets out]

these motherfuckers stole my piece!

[gunfire]

wasted!?! ahh bullshit, they stole my piece!"

but i hope he gets them - gotta support the graff artist over the company, even if that company's sole purpose is advancing the cause of drugs sex and violence in the gaming world

• 7 months later...

It's kind of ironic when you consider how many times this guy painted stuff without permission and now he's a famous artist because of that. The world id a crazy place, no?

However, I'm sure if Rockstar had asked, DAZE probably would have given him his blessing...so, bad on them for not doing the honorable thing.

I still want to see a copy of this alleged ripoff.

What was the deal with all the FATE and MQ throws in that one Tony Hawk game? Did they get permission to use those?

daze playing GTA

"ho shit!! they got my shit in the game!! oh right!! fuckin everybody is gonna see this shit!!"

daze's friend

"eh yo.. you shoulda got paid for that"

daze

"yah think?"

daze's friend smokin more pot

"yeah man, i bet you can sue them for using that shit"

hahahhahahahahah. i bet thats what happened too.