Abstracts

Bojangles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Trance4mationz...

Look man, you're a cool dude so I'm going to level with you like a homie. Not calling you out, but nobody's feeling that. It's dated. You have some potential...try something new with that "whispy style" you got going on. Not everything need to be symmetrical...ya dig? I'm not being a dick, I'm trying to help you. Take my advice, it will help.

With that being said:

smdream.jpg

Trance4mationz...

Look man, you're a cool dude so I'm going to level with you like a homie.

im'a level with you like someone who's not a homie: keep that played out shit out of this thread.

it's not really even an issue of the stuff sucking, it's an issue of you not giving a shit what anyone has to say. you're not posting it for constructive criticism, you're posting it cause you want to see it. being that that's the case, keep it in photoshop and stare at it all day long, we dont want it.

Yeah, that was an earlier one where I was still clinging to graffiti as my inspiration for everything I did.

One of the things I particularly enjoy about your pieces are the colors you choose. Take this last set as an example. *edit- I decided to quote the photo since I was bout to talk bout it.

smdream.jpg

The grey in the back gives a good context to the muted orange. I like that it is opaque but still suggesting the effect of the grey on the color in general. Secondly, the interplay of the secondary yellow as a constituent of the orange against the blue as complimentary to the orange is pretty neat. That you put the only green part in between them gives a nice balance and allows the eye to connect the two colors when otherwise they wouldn't be.

I can't decide if I would like it without the white. If anything the white explains the lighter blue.

At any rate, I don't know if you put this type of thought into the colors. I imagine it is more an intuitive thing, but I think sometimes when people explain the reason they find connection among elements of people's art, it definitely gives an interesting window into the possible rational in the artist's subconscious action.

Not to try and validate the role of the critic or anything...cough cough.

Anywho, I really like your work. It takes all the things I like about the old Albers color theory stuff and takes the spray medium to a well sophisticated level.

Trance4mationz...

. It's dated. You have some potential...try something new with that "whispy style" you got going on. Not everything need to be symmetrical...ya dig?

I agree. I think if you looked at what you're doing and approach it differently than you normally would... the result might be interesting. Maybe a little "off" for you but spot on for this thread. You know what I mean? I understand why you see those pieces as abstract but unfortunately the rest of only see them as rave flyers from the mid-90's. And I'm not going to lie to you... they were hard to stomach back then. I'm not telling you to stop doing them (you should do the art you enjoy) but I am saying for the sake of this thread, approach your pieces from a completely different angle and then post that. Think in terms of abstract art itself and how you can apply what you're currently doing to the idea of the abstract art movement.

Just a thought.

MYlandscape 1002414nt4hr5.jpg

I dont know why i drew this. I think im just homesick. I was going to do it one line. Then just thought whatever. I focused mostly on really defined edges. Because my stuff ends up messy often. Which it did again. I used a caligraphy pen which was kindof fun. Its just my old neigboorhood. Capitol Hill in seattle. Tell me what you think though.

At any rate, I don't know if you put this type of thought into the colors. I imagine it is more an intuitive thing, but I think sometimes when people explain the reason they find connection among elements of people's art, it definitely gives an interesting window into the possible rational in the artist's subconscious action.

It's all intuitive for me. People ask me all the time what my thought process is for particular pieces and I have to be honest and say "there is none". (I know this sounds a little crude...but I learned art mainly from the streets, very little schooling.)

I just zone out and paint. The next color and direction of it pops into my head right in time.

P.S. I wish I could critique pieces like you guys! I'll have to take notes.

P.P.S. Joker pick the next one. Let's get crackin.

MYlandscape 1002414nt4hr5.jpg

I like the lines, i am more of a loose line person myself when it comes to anthing involving a brush or fluid ink pen.

Over all its a bit busy, and i cant get used to the way it lays out vertically. Maybe thats why it seems busy. It seems a bit squeezed into a small vertical area. The only other thing that depending upon your intention, it is a bit flat. Meaning your depth of space is not being utilized. Maybe with more pen work on the background or other parts would make it a bit more dimensional. But it is all based on your intentions. Some people actually like making landscapes look flat in order to abstract the view a bit more.

Good work nonetheless.

I completly Understand what you guys are saying.

See, when i went on this thread, I saw some really interesting pieces done on photoshop and got inspired to take a new step in photoshop.

Really, ive never used photoshop to make "art Pieces", I only use it to "fix" pictures. As soon as i started playing with it, those art pieces came out.

I did get better at it though, compared to my first three pieces that were posted. I didnt know this thread kept a timeline on how the artpieces should look like.

On another note, I finally got some feedback on my pics. I didnt just post them just to look at them on here all day. Each time i make one, i post it on my desktop and look at it and see what could of been different, what did I miss, Is there anything to change, does its concept mean anything.......

For now, im still going to play with photoshop and practice more, but wont post the new stuff in here or anywhere in the 12oz. Give me Time to make a new aproach, still havent acknowledge all of photoshop yet, but im getting there.

I really do admire all the thoughts that were said. Im not hurt or anything like that neither. The truth can sting a little, but does not mean that one can simple just stop and not progress onto the new suggestions. The more I post, the more I learn.

The lack of depth is a result of me not paying attention to what i was doing. I personally am not that fond of it. But hey. It is what it is. The reason its so vertical is its based on a photo i took when i lived there. And the photo was vertical. I dotn know what was there before i cropped it.