iphone?

Deloner

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iphone = new y2k ???

I'm not saying planes are going to fall out of the sky or computers are going to stand up and attack human beings... I'm saying when is the last time you heard this kind of buzz surrounding a mobile device? The Razor phone?... and even then the only hype was that it is thin. A Blackberry?... yeah, they've become the standard for suits and hopefuls but not the general public. I'm saying that the release of this phone could cause damage to other companies... not will, but could. I'm not saying companies are going to go out of business or claim bankruptcy but I am saying most of them are going to be scrambling to create this same kind of buzz that Apple has with the iPhone.

I still don't understand how that has to do with y2k.

I think the most interesting bit of news will be the amount of sales and the amount of new accounts that folks open at Cingular. The reason I think it will be interesting is because If you consider how many folks are dead-set on getting one and don't care about having to buy out there existing plan with X company so they can switch... the numbers are incredible. How is this kind of migration to one company going to affect other mobile companies... hardware and phone service companies? How will it affect Cingular's coverage? How will it affect Apple's & Cingular's stock? How will it affect Samsung, Nokia, Motorola and so on?

There's been a lot of predictions thrown about regarding the first six months of this phones release and if any of them come true it's going to be interesting.

so basically the way this guy put the iphone coming on the market made it sounds like it was gonna be the end of the world and their would be zombie niggas eating my brains

i thought i made and pretty accurate funny comparison. the iphone will be for the rich people who have nothing else better to spend money on. but eventually everyone will have crazy mp3 phones

I've just read three different reports that were just posted within the last five hours regarding the iPhone. (yes, I'm a nerd) A recent tally reports that there are close to 180 million mobile phone users in the states. And another recent report claims that Apple has close to 19 million people signed and waiting for Friday's release of the iPhone. If the latter claim has any truth to it, that is going to cause a ripple in the mobile phone industry.

And that's just the first generation release. Imagine how it is going to be if the iPhone actually lives up to it's claims and really is a revolutionary device. Now imagine if Apple does exactly what it does with all it's hardware and software and boosts it user-ability with second and third generation iPhones. Personally, I can see both those scenarios happening if I go by Apple's track record for the last decade.

My main concern is will AT&T be able to handle the influx of consumers to their network. And if they'll have a separate Help Desk for iPhone users who call in with issues. AT&T is notorious for poor customer service as is and Apple customers are kind of spoiled when it comes to calling the Apple Help Desk for service on issues with their devices. Staff is knowledgable, helpful and courteous. AT&T doesn't have that same reputation.

just say "NO!"

http://www.wservernews.com/

memos (internal)

http://blogs.business2.com/apple/2007/06/raw-data-att-ta.html

Top 10 Reasons Not to Line Up for an iPhone By John R. Quain.

10. It can’t make video calls, AT&T’s latest cool offering.

9. It won’t connect with corporate e-mail networks. (So you’ll still have to carry your Blackberry.)

8. It doesn’t have enough storage space. (8 GB maximum for music, videos, photos? We don’t think that’ll do it, and there’s no memory slot for expansion).

7. Slow-speed cellular data connection means it won’t pull up Web pages like it does in the deceptive Apple TV ads.

6. Don’t you remember the Newton?

5. First year total cost of ownership: $1,500 (phone plus AT&T contract).

4. Geez, it’s not as if it's the last Star Wars movie or anything.

3. Sticky fingers and greasy faces and something called sunlight, which makes dialing outside on a nice day, er, shall we say challenging? (Okay, so I snuck three reasons into one item.)

2. A glass screen? Have you ever dealt with Apple’s warranty police?

1. Never, ever buy version 1.0 of anything.

just say "NO!"

http://www.wservernews.com/

memos (internal)

http://blogs.business2.com/apple/2007/06/raw-data-att-ta.html

Top 10 Reasons Not to Line Up for an iPhone By John R. Quain.

10. It can’t make video calls, AT&T’s latest cool offering.

9. It won’t connect with corporate e-mail networks. (So you’ll still have to carry your Blackberry.)

8. It doesn’t have enough storage space. (8 GB maximum for music, videos, photos? We don’t think that’ll do it, and there’s no memory slot for expansion).

7. Slow-speed cellular data connection means it won’t pull up Web pages like it does in the deceptive Apple TV ads.

6. Don’t you remember the Newton?

5. First year total cost of ownership: $1,500 (phone plus AT&T contract).

4. Geez, it’s not as if it's the last Star Wars movie or anything.

3. Sticky fingers and greasy faces and something called sunlight, which makes dialing outside on a nice day, er, shall we say challenging? (Okay, so I snuck three reasons into one item.)

2. A glass screen? Have you ever dealt with Apple’s warranty police?

1. Never, ever buy version 1.0 of anything.

10. In time... in time.

9. This is a phone for everybody, not the suits.

8. 2nd generation will have more space, trust me.

7. I think this is everyones worry, even Apple's. If not, it should be. I'll give you that one.

6. That's something only a PC person would say. If the Newton is Apple's only crutch in the last ten years... no worries.

5. Yeah, cost is always an issue with anything, but I'm sure that will come down in time as well.

4. Well, it kinda is.

3. That's true for any phone, dingbat.

2. Yes, I have. Seems to work just fine for me and all those I know who have dealt with it. It's not crystal and I'm sure the glass is durable.

1. Again, I'll give you that one. However, someone has to try it out...

Face it, this thing is going to change mobile devices and the way we use them. You may not use one yourself but there's a good chance you'll end up with something that is fashioned after it.

Steve Jobbs is a completely psychotic, obsessive-compulsive control freak. my friend works for a company called delta-fi and they are hired from exec companies to build stuff (for example a museum would hire them to build parts for an exhibit) and apple hired them to build stands for the new iphones when they go out in stores and stuff. so anyway my friend was sitting in on a meeting for an iphone prototype or some shit and steve jobbs walked in with an entourage of 4 guys, and his briefcase with the prototype hand-cuffed to his hand.

his perfectionism is the reason for apple's great success, and i don't think the iphone is going to have as many problems as everyone is thinking. give it a chance.

just my 2 cents.

Nothing like a white guy, who spends his afternoons at Office Depot picking up the latest third party gadget, writing a retarded rap song in his studio apartment to make us Mac folks feel worthless. He definitely scored one for Microsoft...

I've seen squirrels with more street cred than that guy.

oh come on. I dont care either way about apple or mirosoft, but you have to admit its funny. Plus he raises a good point, the iphone is all hype. Its not going to change the way we live, no more then the segway did.

Real Cost of iPhone: Service Plan Revealed

Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:14PM EDT

At long last the final shoe on iPhone has dropped: The cost of voice and data plans that you'll have to buy from AT&T when you purchase the device. The good news: It's not as bad as some had feared. The bad news: It's still going to cost you a pretty penny if you're used to paying $40 a month for a basic service plan.

Here's the damage: $60 a month for 450 minutes. $80 for 900 minutes. $100 for 1350 minutes. If you need even more minutes, plans continue to climb up to $220 a month for a whopping 6000 minutes. The good news: All plans include unlimited email and web, rollover minutes, unlimited mobile-to-mobile, and 200 text messages a month. All except the cheapest plan include unlimited nights and weekends minutes; the cheapest plan includes a mere 5000 of those. Contrary to earlier rumors there is no voice-only option for the iPhone: Remember you need data service to do all the cool email/web/mapping business that makes iPhone an iPhone, otherwise you've pretty much got a pretty brick in your pocket that can play Avril Lavigne tunes. Additional details are here.

Is this a good deal? Let's compare. AT&T's cheapest voice-only plan costs $40 a month for 450 minutes, 5000 nights and weekend minutes, and no data services at all. (Even text messages are about 15 cents a pop.) Adding $20 a month for unlimited web isn't a bad deal. For the $60 of the iPhone's cheapest plan, you can get AT&T's 900-minute plan with no data service.

Looking at it another way, AT&T's Messaging Unlimited plan (unlimited MMS/SMS messages) costs $20 a month extra. Its unlimited messaging and media plan (which gives you access to cellular video as well) costs another $40 a month. The company has a variety of data plans for web browsing phones. The closest to what the iPhone gets you is SmartPhone Max, at $30 extra per month.

Whew, that's a lot of numbers. Putting it all together, designing a comparable plan to iPhone's $60 service on AT&T with a non-iPhone device would actually cost about $70 a month. Believe it or not, iPhone service is actually a bargain!

On the other hand, $60 a month or more isn't cheap. Over the life of the phone that equates to $1,440. Add in the price of the phone and activation fees and the cheapest amount you'll spend on an iPhone over the next two years is $1,975. You can almost buy a brand new MacBook Pro for that outlay. And don't forget the cancellation fee you'll pay on your old phone...

Overall I'm pleased. AT&T could have gouged consumers with a $100/month plan and few people would have flinched. Instead the company is offering an affordable option that should help to ease the sting of that initial $500 or $600 outlay. That said, I'm sure many will still find the plan too expensive. As always, I await your thoughts, opinions, and rants on the topic.

oh come on. I dont care either way about apple or mirosoft, but you have to admit its funny. Plus he raises a good point, the iphone is all hype. Its not going to change the way we live, no more then the segway did.

Being that I'm not a fan of the hippity-hop to begin with... when someone does a silly version of that genre I'm really not impressed. I happen to have a huge sense of humor and I just didn't find it funny. We're all aloud to our own opinions. Even on the 12's.

And I never said the phone would change the way we live... just the way we use mobile phones. Yes, there are phones out there that have the same options as the iphone but the UI is not even close to as simple and easy as the iphone. Although I guess that is yet to be seen.

I have no idea why I'm defending this damn phone when I have no plans to even get one!!

And I hope everyone knows I'm not being an asshole in my responses... just here for conversation.