the un official workout thread

podrido

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I started doing the Onus Wunsler program from Starting Strength about a month ago and it's been going good. I think I'm just going to post results throughout the week or I guess whenever I feel like it in this thread since it's usually dead.

Squat 135lbs 3x5

5/5/5

Increase to 140lbs next workout.

Press 85lbs 3x5

5/5/5

Increase to 90lbs next workout.

Deadlift 155lbs 1x5

Increase to 160lbs next workout.

Bench press 130lbs 3x5

5/5/5

Increase to 135 lbs next workout.

This isn't the bodybuilding thread or whatever but this guy (Kai Greene) benches 220kg like it ain't no thing

Then drops to 180, 140 and 100 all for more than 4 reps

Probably seen this shit before but it always motivates me to get stronger

Google "KAI GREENE + GRAPEFRUIT"

Man I remember eating tuna steak sandwiches on rye everyday. Dieting is a bitch

Dieting like that is unnecessary and destined to fail due to driving a person insane from monotony.

I started doing the Onus Wunsler program from Starting Strength about a month ago and it's been going good. I think I'm just going to post results throughout the week or I guess whenever I feel like it in this thread since it's usually dead.

Squat 135lbs 3x5

5/5/5

Increase to 140lbs next workout.

Press 85lbs 3x5

5/5/5

Increase to 90lbs next workout.

Deadlift 155lbs 1x5

Increase to 160lbs next workout.

Bench press 130lbs 3x5

5/5/5

Increase to 135 lbs next workout.

^^^^Smartest post I've seen in here in a while. Dead srs. Keep it up and gainz shall be yours.

^^^ Thanks bruh! The words of encouragement are much appreciated.

Today's workout

Squat 140lbs 3x5

5/5/5

Felt good, didn't struggle too hard on the final rep. Increase to 145 next workout.

Press 90lbs 3x5

5/5/5

Felt like shit, struggled pretty hard on final 3 reps. Maintain weight and monitor progress.

Powercleans 95lbs 3x5

5/5/5

Felt good. I had only done powercleans once before. I feel like I need to work more on form. The weight didn't feel too difficult during the last two sets because I got more used to the movement. Increase to 100lbs next workout.

^^^ Thanks bruh! The words of encouragement are much appreciated.

Today's workout

Squat 140lbs 3x5

5/5/5

Felt good, didn't struggle too hard on the final rep. Increase to 145 next workout.

Press 90lbs 3x5

5/5/5

Felt like shit, struggled pretty hard on final 3 reps. Maintain weight and monitor progress.

Powercleans 95lbs 3x5

5/5/5

Felt good. I had only done powercleans once before. I feel like I need to work more on form. The weight didn't feel too difficult during the last two sets because I got more used to the movement. Increase to 100lbs next workout.

No sweat.

It's refreshing to see someone actually do a program and follow the fucking directions it gives.

Overhead pressing is hard.

You gotta learn how to keep everything tight as you pick up the bar and throughout the entire movement.

Clench your ass cheex and tense your abs.

What are you guys talking about, lol?

They are the same fucking movement and it is a compound movement, so I dunno what you're getting at by saying it's all in the arms. lolwut?

As for the mirrors, getting better without them is preferable anyhow because you will learn by feeling/doing and not watching yourself in the mirror.

Read this article and have at it:

OVERHEAD PRESS

That website is dogshit, but some of the articles are informative.

What are you guys talking about, lol?

They are the same fucking movement and it is a compound movement, so I dunno what you're getting at by saying it's all in the arms. lolwut?

As for the mirrors, getting better without them is preferable anyhow because you will learn by feeling/doing and not watching yourself in the mirror.

Read this article and have at it:

OVERHEAD PRESS

That website is dogshit, but some of the articles are informative.

standing and doin presses has to take a decent amount of core cuz ure balancing urself while ure doing shoulders

I'm not talking about standing vs sitting.

I'm talking about the overhead press and the military press both being done while standing, because they are the same exact lift.

People just call them by different names.

The only barbell press that goes overhead that is different from an overhead press is the push press and that is because you use leg drive to get the weight above your head for lockout.

Otherwise, it is a strict form press without back bend and no jerking movements...overhead press/military press...whatever you call it.

Sitting down ifs4 phaggotz.

Thanks for the article. Tensing up my lower body really helped with stability and strength during my press sets last night.

Squat 150lbs 3x5

5/5/5

Felt good, struggled a teeny bit on the last rep. I feel like I may have compromised form on the last rep though, so I think I'll stay and perfect my form and analyze the results later.

Press 90lbs 3x5

5/5/5

Did a whole lot better on press thanks to the advice. Tensing up made me not step back at all to regain my balance, and I feel like I was able to generate more potential strength. Didn't struggle that much during last rep. Increase to 95lbs next workout.

Deadlift 160lbs 1x5

Did really well on deadlifts. It was pretty easy, but I don't want to mess up my back at all, so I think I'll keep going at my snail's pace for increasing weight. Increase to 165lbs next workout.

I'm officially over my bodyweight for both squats and deadlifts. It doesn't seem like much, but it's pretty good for me!

I don't want to mess up my back at all, so I think I'll keep going at my snail's pace for increasing weight. Increase to 165lbs next workout.

I'm officially over my bodyweight for both squats and deadlifts. It doesn't seem like much, but it's pretty good for me!

Each milestone feels badass, man.

Most people can't do either of those things.

Going slow is not a bad thing.

You'll end up building a great strength base and your form will get tons of work so that when you get to weights that scare you, you'll know how to handle them.

Unless you had an earlier injury/feel pain from what you are doing...don't worry about your back.

Just make sure you aren't rounding your lower back OR overarching it.

Either one is bad.

Neutral pelvis, nigga.

Today:

50 min swimming: 500 free, 500 breast, 500 back, 250 free, 250 back=2000 yards total

Wall Push-Ups 2x30, 3x35

Knee Tucks 2x10, 3x15, I find these to be really hard to do, am working from the convict conditioning text and guess I will just keep doing em till I get it...

Jump Rope: 35 seconds jumping then 2 min walking 5 times

The first time I tried jumping rope a couple weeks ago I did 10 reps of a minute each and it kicked my ass, the back of my arms was hurting for 3+days. Trying to work slowly up to being able to jump rope for 3 min straight.

I'm liking this routine a lot. Building strength feels good. I've been trying to eat more as well. Haven't posted in a little bit but here is last night's workout.

Squat 145lbs 3x5

5/5/5

Felt a little easy. Definitely not as hard as when I'm trying to progress. When I got to 150lbs about a week ago, I wasn't sure if my form was good, and I wanted to analyze how my hamstrings felt during squats. Increase 150lbs next workout. Hopefully I'll do well next time so I can break past 150lbs. I've never squatted that much before.

Bench Press 140lbs 3x5

5/5/5

Felt fine, struggled on the last few reps though. Stay at the same weight, and see next workout's results.

Back Extensions 3x10

10/10/10

Pullups

12/6/-

I'm excited for tomorrow's workout so I can continue where I left off on my squats, and hopefully PR on deadlifts. It feels like I might be able to go a little heavier on deadlifts though.

If you start tracking your food intake to make sure you are eating enough, your strength will def go up quickly since you are working in your newbie gains phase.

Take advantage of it, because it will never happen as fast as it is happening right now.

I'm not saying that you should try and become a fat slob, but figure out how much you need to eat and go from there.

Thanks man! I'll check my maintenance calories and try to increase about 100-200 calories and go from there. I didn't go the gym last night, because I was being lazy, so I went this morning. Today's workout

Squat 150lbs 3x5

5/5/5

Pretty easy. Didn't really have to try too hard on the last reps. Increase to 155lbs next workout.

Press 75lbs 3x5

5/5/5

No problem, felt good. Increase to 80lbs next workout.

Deadlift 165lbs 1x5

5/5/5

I'm only supposed to do one set, and when I completed it, I didn't feel drained, and it wasn't really challenging. So I decided I could do another. I added ten pounds to the bar.

175lbs 1x5

5/5/5

After that set I still didn't feel challenged, but I left it at that. It feels really good to be working my way up to 200lbs. Increase to 185lbs next workout.

• Like 1

i wouldnt say its 'hard' its just 'different'

if you only do basic bench presses of some variety, you'll never be more sore the next day than after hitting 3-5 sets 10+ reps of these type of presses. you'll hit muscles and flexors you never even knew existed. really works on your stability. i've been using it to help rehab my destroyed right rotator cuff.

if you dont have a bamboo bar, just use a regular barbell, you'll still get most of the benefits with just straight bar w/ bands and dumbells/kettle bells hanging off it.

Last night's workout

Squat 160lbs 3x5

5/5/5

I did 160lbs the workout before and I struggled hard enough to make mild grunting noises from the corner of the gym, so I stayed there for this workout as well. Last nights sets weren't too challenging except for the last rep. I think after the next workout I'll be able to increase the weight again.

Bench Press 140lbs 3x5

5/5/5

I feel like it's time to finally increase my bench press weight. I've been struggling with 135lbs and 140lbs for a while now, and I'm excited to attempt 145 next workout.

Back Extensions 3x5

5/5/5

Pullups

I think I'm going to add in another set of pullups since I hit 15 consecutive pullups.

WHOOP! Excited to attempt 185lbs deadlift next workout!