the un official workout thread

podrido

I had already been lifting weights for a bit before I started doing Starting Strength a few months ago. I feel like my gainz are slowing down and am considering switching to another routine. Should I just do another routine that is listed in the Starting Strength book, or a whole different routine like 5x5 or 5/3/1?

Do what the book says.

I believe you are supposed to go until you stall twice then switch to 3x3 and keep going.

After the same thing happens on that you should probably switch to Madcow or Texas Method.

531 is slow and more advanced.

Unless you tweak it to make it for a lower intermediate after you are done beginner strength stuff you will progress slower than necessary.

I mean, it will work, but it's not optimal at that point.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet that's good and super healthy... but I'd never fucking make that

it is but if you pack too much vitamin a you will get drowsy and sleepy. happened to me a couple times. if i do it right it gives me energy through out the day and without a crash. trust me it doesnt taste as bad it sounds. the banana takes over the flavor of the shake and the shits you get the next morning makes it all worth it.

So how many meals do you guys eat a day?

Any tips for a good breakfast?

i eat about 4 small meals.

a good breakfast is greek yogurt with raw oats thrown in, chia seeds, raw honey, a banana and cinnamon all mixed up. fuck all that artery clogging GOTTA EAT MEAT AT EVERY MEAL BRO bullshit unless you wanna get tired and fuck your body up. it's a lot more important to eat nutrient dense food than strictly protein dense food at every meal. and stop drinking beer.

usually 4. u want to eat every 2-3 hours.

Plz stop with the br0-science.

You could eat all of your daily calories in one sitting every single day and it would not make a bit of difference in your health or body composition as long as you eat the proper amount of calories in the correct macronutrient breakdown for your body.

Calculate your calories and macros and count them every fucking day or you will always estimate improperly and either lose muscle/strength, get fat or stagnate.

Inb4 "i hate counting calories tho."

so what;s the best way to find out how many calories you need/should take?

Guise, cmon...learn to Google.

Here's one for bulking.

If you wanna cut, google one for cutting.

Jeezis.

Basic rules though are:

1. Find calories

2. Determine protein needs...1-1.5g/pound of bodyweight

3. Determine fat needs... .25-.5g/pound of bodyweight

4. Determine carb needs... all leftover calories are carbs.

Protein and carbs = 4 calories per gram.

Fat = 9 calories per gram.

If cutting and losing more than like 2 pounds per week, you are cutting too fast and will lose muscle, so add like 20 grams of carbs per day. Do this until you are only losing 2 or less pounds per week. (unless you are a huge fatass then you can lose more, but i don't think you guys are obese, right?)

If bulking and not a complete newb and you are gaining more than a pound a month, you are gaining too fast and most gain will be fat. So slow the fuck down and lower calories a bit.

And yes, use a website to track your shit.

It doesn't matter which one, just use one.

But make sure your numbers add up properly and that the site you use has a custom entry tool, because they don't all have every fucking food product in them and you will have to add some stuff.

Fuck, most of my shit is custom entry.

• Like 1

You could eat all of your daily calories in one sitting every single day and it would not make a bit of difference in your health or body composition as long as you eat the proper amount of calories in the correct macronutrient breakdown for your body.

Buuuuuuullshit!

You ever heard a little diddy about blood sugar levels? You bet your ass the few hours before you eat your one meal a day your blood sugar is gonna be fuckin wicked low, after you eat wicked high. Shit man that's no way to treat your body. It's good to keep a somewhat consistent blood sugar level throughout the day so you aren't a fuckin sloth before you eat.

"macronutrient" GTFO

Then explain why people that do intermittent fasting have better blood panels than people that eat more frequently.

There is no right or wrong way to do this shit.

What matters is personal preference and what fits better into your daily schedule.

But please, save me the hoopla about being able to influence endogenous hormone levels to any meaningful extent that would effect muscle gain via meal timing, cuz it doesn't happen.

Plz go.

Also not sure what this is supposed to mean.

Do you deny that macronutrients exist?

"macronutrient" GTFO

but it's superbowl sunday......lol

I know what you mean, i'm pretty good with controlling myself.

So i entered some stuff on my fitness pal, and i chose to lose 1.5 lb's a week, they ask how many times you exercise etc. but if my workouts are intense won't i lose more than 1.5 or is the 1.5 / week only if i follow the nutrition aspect?

Plz stop with the br0-science.

You could eat all of your daily calories in one sitting every single day and it would not make a bit of difference in your health or body composition as long as you eat the proper amount of calories in the correct macronutrient breakdown for your body."

I dunno about that, isn't the point of eating small frequent meals to keep your metabolism stimulated and up to speed? Call it bro science if you must. I also sometimes think about how jacked prison dudes can get and it's not like they are on some body builders diet and supplement regimen.

Stoking the metabolic fire is nonsense.

If you throw a tiny bit of fuel on a fire every few hours it will burn slowly, but if you throw a ton of fuel on at once it will explode.

This analogy cannot apply to your fucking metabolism.

It sounds good, but it does not apply.

Meal timing DOES. NOT. MATTER. as far as body composition is concerned.

It only matters if you are more comfortable eating more frequently.

The only thing that matters is your total caloric/macro intake for a 24 hour period and consistency in that intake throughout the week/month/year.

I advise you all to read the writings of Alan Aragon and Lyle McDonald before you start spouting off nonsense you have read in bodybuilding magazines or been told by some jerkoff jacked dude in your local gym that has been benching the same amount of weight for the past 8 years and never trains squats.

Prison dudes have nothing but time on their hands to exercise in their cells.

They are one of the few cases where a person can out train a shitty diet.

But in all reality...how many dudes do you see that come out of prison jacked?

Most of them are skinny fat and in poor health.

They don't have weight rooms (armories) in prisons for the inmates to use.

Inb4 nigger genetics and anecdotal nonsense arguments.

If you like eating 15 times a day, do it, but it's not necessary.

but it's superbowl sunday......lol

I know what you mean, i'm pretty good with controlling myself.

So i entered some stuff on my fitness pal, and i chose to lose 1.5 lb's a week, they ask how many times you exercise etc. but if my workouts are intense won't i lose more than 1.5 or is the 1.5 / week only if i follow the nutrition aspect?

Calculate your needs yourself.

Don't rely on that site for anything other than tracking what you have eaten and the amount of calories and macros it ends up adding for you daily.

Weigh yourself daily after waking, pissing, shitting.

Average the weight for the week.

Compare it to the previous week.

If it dropped 1-2 pounds, you are on the right track.

Don't change your numbers until that stagnates.

If losing too much, add like 20-30 grams of carbs to your intake per day.

Gasface is correct about calculating your own caloric needs, however I think that 1-2 pounds of weight loss per week is aggressive and that 1 pound per week is the high end of what should generally be undertaken.

Also, I just weigh myself on Monday mornings after I take a dump, the only thing you will find by weighing yourself every day and pre and post elimination is that your weight varies.

Opinions are like assholes I suppose and the type of fitness I am working on is not lifting oriented nor do I do any fancy nutrient loading or whatever.

Gasface is correct about calculating your own caloric needs, however I think that 1-2 pounds of weight loss per week is aggressive and that 1 pound per week is the high end of what should generally be undertaken.

Also, I just weigh myself on Monday mornings after I take a dump, the only thing you will find by weighing yourself every day and pre and post elimination is that your weight varies.

Opinions are like assholes I suppose and the type of fitness I am working on is not lifting oriented nor do I do any fancy nutrient loading or whatever.

If you average the weight, you don't have to worry about fluctuation as much.

You can end up with fluctuations by doing it once per week as well if you don't follow a set routine or weigh yourself at the same time each week.

2 pounds is a good rate to start with if you are at or above say 15% body fat.

I doubt most people here are below that, so it's a good rate to begin with.

Again, this shit is all basic knowledge that you apes should have about dieting and training, so get reading. Or don't and see if I care.

I already gave you two names in one of my previous posts that you can google and be kept busy with for the next week.

If I sound like an asshole to you, that's your problem.

LOL @ master...this is basic shit.

Go read something and quit waiting for some dude on a FUCKING GRAFFITI forum to hand you a remedial education in not being fat and lazy.