Musical Instruments

HardyHarHar

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I play guitar and have done for the past 9 and a half years. Played bass for a year before that.

I agree with you that music has recently lost it's soul and feeling.

Playing a musical instrument has broadened the amount of people you can associate with no end, and it is a great way to show off. And when you have some sort of idea, you can always impress people with the 'Ah, I can play a little....' line then rip their head off with a face melting solo or chunky ass riff.

Plus there is nothing better to do whilist stoned or drunk IMO, that won't result in A) ending up in jail or B)with a venereal disease or even worse getting some chick pregnant.

To me these days music seems all about the $$$$.

I mean, $$ makes the world go around, but music, in essence conveys a much greater meaning to me personally than making money. It has been in my life from a young age, and seriously, the amount of songs that I can attribute to feeling a certain emotion, or time period in my life is absolutely amazing.

I remember jamming with some of the most random people you can imagine, people you would run from if you saw them on the street, but as soon as they realise you are a muso, they are like your new best friend.

The greatest thing about it though, is that the more you learn about an instrument, the more you realise that there is so much more to learn, and this is why music means so much to me, because it parallels life.

I recently gave a speech in my uni class about music, and how I am pissed off that the music being made these days lacks soul, and how I hate how the current generation of kids will relate to this music in their future. I remember being 5 years old and rocking out to AC/DC with a tennis raquet, but kids today I see them just wearing pants hanging around their knees trying to out 'gangsta' each other. Or they are into the 'scene' and get all these retarded piercings,tats/etc. like some sort of cruel joke. Do they really think they will look back on the 'emo' or 'gangsat' period of their life with fond memories? I mean where is the joy in that?

They are going to look back at it the same way people looked back at the LEN's (hippies) of the 60's and the people of the disco era... Its all the same shit just diff music. The artists back that still were being paid. They formula that record companies use for artists is just diff. Now they are certain that an artist will make money. There were still those "flavor of the week bands" but obviously they fade away and wont last from 20 years from now...(hopefully panic at the disco will follow that)

As for jamming with random people I do it everyweek hitting up every open mic I find hell mauler we should set up some type of internet jam session mic some stuff up and have it stream real time over the internet. I wonder if its possible.. GET MAINTER IN HERE to figure this out! I like your ideas mauler!

Thanks for your insights. To me it seems as though every band formed since 1990 is just a flavour of the week kinda deal, and pretty much all the stuff I listen to is bands tat formed in the 80's or earlier.

I have a shitty ass computer atm, and am looking to upgrade with the possibility of being able to record some tracks. I recently purchased a Korg pedal board just to get some new sounds that I can muck around with to give me some inspiration. I haven;t really had the time to get into programming it and I don't even know if it has a MIDI output. I must do some research into what software I can dld to record shit.

I am thinking of getting one of those home programming/recording things where you can just plug straight into your comp and choose a patch and record from there, like a friend I used to work with has, but I am kinda strapped for time atm, with working fulltime and uni assignments beig the priority, but hell I am sure one day I will be able to find the time, as I don't lan on abandoning the 12 anytime soon.