Eurotrip Part 2 (Travel Superthread)

Reuben Kinkaid

Distract, that sounds retardedly nice.

What kinda job you have to afford that?

I dont really have a job. Im in school at the moment in the hollidays I work as much as I can, got about $8k in savings and should get about 12 by end of november.

Also I dont think I will be spending too much, because if you work on the mountain you get free food/accomodation/lift pass. So only money will be spend on alcohol and a shitty van we can sleep in when we go to greece

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. Travel. Get good at 'doubling up' behing people through ticket barriers, travel on the Tube is a fucking rip off, even buying a weeks Travelcard/Bus Pass will still set you back a fair bit. Good answer to this is 'Chinese' travelcards...I'll save the details for a PM I think.

Hey, reckon I can get a copy of that PM? I'm heading over in August.

And Dazzle. I'm sorting out my travel plans this month (finnally). Pm your dates and we will get rad somewhere somehow.

1. go where you have contacts, its fun going toa new spot, but if you have a contact a tour with a local is always better. youll get to see whats up, whats the cheap dope shit to do.

2. your eu right? i think you can get a super cheap eurrail pass not the jacked up price non eu pass holders have to pay. look into that. or look at ryanair/easyjet, you can score some turbo deals, and it beats waiting on a train for 15 hours.

3. go to copenhagen, its a real dope city. expensive, but a beautiful place.

4. go east man, west euro is cool, but the east is nice, and its generally as safe as anywhere else.

5. never been to geneva, but basel was cool, fucking expensive though. go to lichtenstein, its the stupidest funniest country in the world.

6. dont skip barcelona.

7. send me emails about italy. but i reccomend trying your hardest not to pay for trains there, or buying street drugs. load up in amsterdam, its decently cheap, and pretty good stuff, and if your going by rail i wouldnt worry about borders.

8. dublin is cool, real expensive though. cool place to check out, i liked the countryside there better. see if you can make it to the bridge jam, its always a good time.

9. dont "steal" unlocked bicycles in germany.

10. dont eat the hot dogs in front of the eiffel tower at midnight even if there isnt anything else open. esecially if your a vegetarian. paris is cool, dont get it twisted, i met some of the nicest people in my travels in paris.

11. buy some tight jeans and get a mullet in barcelona, put one dreadlock in it as well. drink don simon sangria, and make paella, the shit on ramblas is horrible. make lots of itme for that city. and wander around it, its fantastic.

12. see smaller cities in holland, utrecht, rotterdam, eindhoven are really cool places, less stupid college kids and wierdo english sex tourists wacked out on drugs trying to bang hookers. if your in amsterdam, theres a chinese restaurant that is all tiled and looks like a gym shower room, but has dope food. apparently the duck is great. eat turkish pizza in holland...

13. have a smoke and ride the metro to a wierd stop getoff and wander. always proves to be fun. europe isnt unsafe. well italy can be, but dont carry more than you can afford to lose. just bring a visa and a back card, youll get better rates using an atm. ivenever had an atmnot accept my card on mainland europe... only america it wont read it.

Pushing two through on one fare on the tube is a silly idea..

First off, it's not a literal "turn"stile...

Second off , you need a ticket to get out as well as in, so you'd need to push through twice..

Third, there's station attendants all over the gates at every station and more cameras than George Orwell could imagine..

You want to save money, use one of the suggested Oyster tickets or buy a one-week 8£ unlimited bus pass.. the tube is really only good for long treks and rush-hour anyway..

And if you REALLY want to get around a nice way and save money, rent or "acquire" a bike..

----

2. you eu right? i think you can get a super cheap eurrail pass not the jacked up price non eu pass holders have to pay. look into that. or look at ryanair/easyjet, you can score some turbo deals, and it beats waiting on a train for 15 hours.

--If you buy a train pass as an EU citizen, you get the forementioned "InterRail Pass" which is cheaper but comes with a small handful of limitations..

As far Plane v. Train.. the plane does'nt necessarily save time or money..

factor in the time *and money* it will take you to get to and from the Airports to/from the centre of the cities.. where as the train leaves you dead center in the middle of the city..

Also consider that taking an overnight train means you won't need to spend money on a hotel room that night..

Furthermore.. as great as it is, RyanAir, with few exceptions, only flies to off-beat airports of major cities.. and/or small cities..

4. go east man, west euro is cool, but the east is nice, and its generally as safe as anywhere else.

You should see both, they're truely distinct..

For the record though, Polish trains are straight dangerous.. watch your shit..

5. never been to geneva, but basel was cool, fucking expensive though.

Geneve is great~ beautiful city that is hard to grasp, but well worth a couple of days~

I love french Switzerland~

6. dont skip barcelona.

AT ANY COST!

10. dont eat the hot dogs in front of the eiffel tower at midnight even if there isnt anything else open. esecially if your a vegetarian. paris is cool, dont get it twisted, i met some of the nicest people in my travels in paris...

Paris is unexplicable~ but definately watch the street meat anywhere and everywhere..

IF you're hungry infront of the Effiel Tower, buy a Goffre (Waffle) they have a great stand near the Trocadero on it's eastern approach

stick with Shawarma for quick cheap eats.. and go to the popular and truely arabic ones..

11. buy some tight jeans and get a mullet in barcelona, put one dreadlock in it as well. drink don simon sangria, and make paella, the shit on ramblas is horrible. make lots of itme for that city. and wander around it, its fantastic.

Go to the Gracia area near Joanic train station~ it's the off-beat hot spiznot for the BCN youtes.. And DEFINATELY hike up Montjuic~ that is a MUST

Also, if you do get tight jeans and a mullet.. definately go with the dreadlock too..

also get one of those hamas rags and tie it around your neck.. Oh! and get a dog to walk around with!

12. see smaller cities in holland, utrecht, rotterdam, eindhoven are really cool places, less stupid college kids and wierdo english sex tourists wacked out on drugs trying to bang hookers!!!

Well put~ Rent a bike in Amsterdam~! It's the ONLY way~

This guy has great tips~

Shame this is the last leg of you're journey, as much as love the LDN, it is shit-expensive and i'm guessing after three months of boogying you ain't gonna have too much kashmoney left!

Let's see what I can suggest for London moneysavers:

1. Food. Tesco (big supermarket chain) will tend to have a 'reduced' shelf/section (all the about-to-go-out-of-date sandwiches etc). Take the reduced stickers off of these and wack em on £10 sushi/whatever you feel like and get it for pennies. Yum.

2. Travel. Get good at 'doubling up' behing people through ticket barriers, travel on the Tube is a fucking rip off, even buying a weeks Travelcard/Bus Pass will still set you back a fair bit. Good answer to this is 'Chinese' travelcards...I'll save the details for a PM I think.

3. Getting pissed and dancing. If the cash situation is really getting low, but you still fancy having a pop at some High-grade English totty... No matter what sort of music/scene/pussy you're looking for we can cater to it. Plan B in Brixton does good hip-hop nights, smallish club but good. Throwdown on every 3rd Thursday of the month (i think) has a load of canvas graff/art on display, open mic, break battles and all that jazz. Worth checking out.

For all night stuff, try FabricLive up in Farringdon on Fridays>> good couple thousand people, hip-hop, drum and bass rooms, again DEFINITELY worth checking.

Can't think of any other nights to check out at the moment, but try and get drunk beforehand as drinks in the clubs will cane your money.

4. Narcotics. Not REALLY my thing so can't offer much advice.

Hope this drivel is helpful, i'm pretty drunk so will try add some more stuff tomorrow.

Have a good trip ya lucky cunt.:)

what this man here said,plus come visit me.

i work in a pub, ya get me!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright just a quick recap:

England was full of cheap bitter and cool castles. Dublin was expensive as fuck but a good party. Our hostel was right in Temple Bar which meant no sleep whatsoever. Normandy was peaceful and emotionally draining. Paris was full of fuck-wit hotel staff and a frustrating transit system, but got to smoke hooka with Pinup and get drunk with a bunch of architecture students.

Right now I'm in the Swiss Alps, staying with an old friend of my parents', who's part of the Royal Family. Letting us stay in his Chateau for free. Went in to Geneva today, tomorrow probably bike around the mountains and swim in the lake. Bought a 36 pack of Kronenbourg for 8 Euros.

This is pretty short and not very detailed, I'll do a full recap if I either get time or when I get back.

Heading to Prague next, if anyone's going to be there drop me an email...

• 2 weeks later...

the only advice i can sincerely recommend besides making sure all your valuables (money, credit cards whatever) are hidden is that you should bring multiple xeroxes of your passport with you. keep your real passport in your hotel/hostel/where ever you are sleeping, give one copy to the person managing that establishment and keep one copy on your person. losing the real one equals you being totally fucked for a really long time.

im going to prauge in mid july and then to bratislava and budapest..and then to a bunch of other cities' date=' but does anyone know any stores in prauge that sell paint?? website if possable...[/quote']

graffneck in prague

www.graffneck.cz

Paint down byt he river near hlbocepy??? station

where else you going? last year i went from rome to st Petrsburg and back down to turkey so i may bbe able to help

the only advice i can sincerely recommend besides making sure all your valuables (money, credit cards whatever) are hidden is that you should bring multiple xeroxes of your passport with you. keep your real passport in your hotel/hostel/where ever you are sleeping, give one copy to the person managing that establishment and keep one copy on your person. losing the real one equals you being totally fucked for a really long time.

another idea i think might be useful is to make highquality scans of your passport etc and email them to your hotmail /yahoomail account that way if you lose everything you've still got it.

That way you can always print it out if you're in the shit and have lost everything.