mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmotorbikes!

RumPuncher

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: motorbikes!

I really considered the 800 GS because it was about to come out as I was looking at getting a bike. The only drawback that I could see was overall seat height was too high for me... even with a lowered kit. Yeah, I'm a shorty. I've seen several of them out on the road with full kits (luggage and all the commuter/travel/off-road goodies) and they look awesome. I talked to one guy about his and he really wanted what I have (F800ST) but went with something he could take off-road.

BMW motorbikes are definitely a little more pricey than your average bike but your warranty and road side assistance easily make up for it. I walked away with a seven year warranty... I don't even know if I'll have my bike that long... that 1000RR is calling me.

You considering getting one? New or used?

Oh yeah... that lowered "one" up there is wicked! Those matte black pipes are a piece of art themselves...

Good call, Joker... i would buy a new one, with the options package....heated grips, abs,white lights,etc... Thanks for your input...ACS fo life...

• 2 weeks later...

well my bike is no where near rideable still...ugh i hate it i dont even want to ride i've lost the itch. Putting it back together has been such a pain in the ass with this new air box and I dont feel like putting the extra $600+ for new front tire the power commander to use the air box new mid pipes for my exhaust and finally getting it dyno'd and a custom map made...not to mention the 400$ for a separate set of plastics so i dont wreck my OEM's

Yeah that's the thing about the SXV, it's by far the most ridiculous road-legal bike you can buy. Valves are every 5000 mi, which is about 3 times as many checks as Aprilia's shiver. I dont know anything about Husaberg. There's no dealerships around here, and without one of those Im not comfortable buying one.

On another note: this is an amazing read http://hellforleathermagazine.com/frontlines/ZrNSInt09/ZrNS.html

ive been seriously looking for something lately. ive never ridden, so it's a freaky endeavor, but i think i might like it if i can get past the whole 'fear of dying' thing. signed up for a course through the DMV here. 3 days of riding and you walk away with your license. stoked for that.

ive been looking at old honda shadow 750's. anyone got any opinions? seems like a solid bike with a ton of parts and options. what about the idea of a 750 for a first bike? think it might be too much to handle? NH. i was looking for an old 500, but i'm 6'3", so im afraid that anything that small is gonna be physically too small i think. thoughts?

ps, NO crotch rockets. not at all my thing.

joker,

you ever get a bike? losing a year of the thread, i dont know what happened with that.

Yeah, I ended up with a 2008 BMW F800ST... and I've been riding it everyday since. I'm hoping to get some luggage for the side racks fairly soon. Although after eight months of riding I've been getting the hunger for something a little more aggressive, for the sunnier days/months.

Heed that as your warning seeking. Nothing wrong with sportbikes. Nothing at all.

MSF is your best jumpoff, which it sounds like you're enrolled in already. After completing that I think christo-f own a shadow back in oz, but i havent seen him on 12oz in a while. You lookin for a cruiser, a beater or what? Lemme know.

naw man, sportbikes are fine, just saying it's not what im looking for. i didnt want people to try and waste their time trying to sell me on it. not gonna happen.

yup, MSF. start it next month. wish i could start it sooner but shit was all booked.

it doesnt have to be a shadow, but in looking around there seems to be a lot of them, so parts and custom shit will be plentiful. im also looking at yamaha v-star's. i think they're 600cc, cant remember. a harley sporster 833 is also an option, but i dont know man...just seems mad faggoty to buy a harley as a first bike. id rather graduate up to one if i get real into it.

id like something older, just so i dont have to worry about fucking it up, hacking it up, etc. something i can learn how to ride as well as work on. if anyone has suggestions, im open.

If you dont want to be seen on a new bike because of your skill level you can pick up some beater CB750F for under 2k and ride it into the ground. In my opinion a beginner looks gay no matter what he's riding. That's just part of the crucible.

I think cyclists are on a sharper learning curve than the rest of beginner motorcyclists too. Please dont prove me wrong. So much of my ego depends on that being true. Just kidding.

seeks,

I got my first bike last March.

A Harley Sportster 1200.

It's not at all too much to handle.

And there is a lot of customization ideas out there.

You could always look for an early 90s Sportster for cheap and chop the hell out of it.

hmm... 1200 just seems like a beast, but i also dont have much to compare it to.

anyone know what it costs to ship a bike across country? ebay would make buying something easy, but getting it home would be hard im afraid.