<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Alright, got an iTunes question..

My buddy has very little if any space left on his 40Gb hard drive. I've found that iTunes has copied all of his music folder(imported by him) into another folder and essentially duplicated all of his files. I know this can't be the only way to import music and consume all of the space, but I'm not sure as I've never owned an iPod.

The guy can't even update his antivirus because he has so little room left on his computer.

This all started because ie7 quit working, but Mozilla still works. My first instinct was to run a virus scan with his paid subscription to Norton, but I can't update it (even in safe mode)..

He would like to add more music, and my idea was to back up his original music files onto an external, and leave the itunes music folder alone. I'm afraid that Itunes is going to somehow freak and erase all of his music though..

So two questions.

1. Is there a way to only store the music once for iTunes?

2. Any ideas why ie7 doesn't work and Mozilla does?

Thanks gentlemen...

Alright, got an iTunes question..

My buddy has very little if any space left on his 40Gb hard drive. I've found that iTunes has copied all of his music folder(imported by him) into another folder and essentially duplicated all of his files. I know this can't be the only way to import music and consume all of the space, but I'm not sure as I've never owned an iPod.

The guy can't even update his antivirus because he has so little room left on his computer.

This all started because ie7 quit working, but Mozilla still works. My first instinct was to run a virus scan with his paid subscription to Norton, but I can't update it (even in safe mode)..

He would like to add more music, and my idea was to back up his original music files onto an external, and leave the itunes music folder alone. I'm afraid that Itunes is going to somehow freak and erase all of his music though..

So two questions.

1. Is there a way to only store the music once for iTunes?

Thanks gentlemen...

just delete the other music folder if its all been transferred to itunes, go into add remove programs and remove programs he does not use

transfer all the other data stored on the computer like his documents/pictures/music/videos to an external and go buy a new hard drive

big thing to save room would be to remove norton, who cares if it was purchased its a system hog get either microsoft security essentials or Avast both free and work 1000xs better than norton

here are some harddrives

i figured this is an older system so it prolly uses IDE drives so here is a list for desktop hard drives

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007603%20600003442&IsNodeId=1&name=IDE%20Ultra%20ATA100

if its a laptop be sure to check what kind of drive you have but pretty sure it will be ATA-6

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007605%20600003451&IsNodeId=1&name=ATA-6

Im Using WBFS Manager 2.5

WBFSManagerNew.png

To load w!! games onto a hardrive. I bought another hardrive, and im trying to copy my games onto the new hardrive.

I dont know why its killing my memory when doing this proccess. I had about 150gb free and now its says i have 0.

My guess is that its making images and putting them somewhere. Does anybody know where its putting the images? I checked the C:\Users\???\AppData\Local\Temp\ and i dont see them there.

Edit*

Is there a way to find out which folder has the most memory on it?

Have you tried deleting the temporary files/cookies in internet options.... ?

theres also options under "advanced" tab (in internet options) to reset your default settings to IE, this plus the above might fix that problem...

Alright, I'm gonna check my girlfriend's mac when she brings it over. I got her going with Demonoid, but didn't realize shit was so crucial until lately.

I downloaded a few things at work and our ISP supposedly called with a name of a movie, the time DL'ed, and so forth. Said there may be fines if we're caught doing it again.. Our service is through a smaller carrier than my home service so I've just decided to cease anything there. At home though, I want my shit trump tight. I'm behind two hardware firewalls and one software. Don't want to be paranoid, but I also don't want to catch nonsense over a Garth Brooks Discography or some shit.

Alright, I'm gonna check my girlfriend's mac when she brings it over. I got her going with Demonoid, but didn't realize shit was so crucial until lately.

I downloaded a few things at work and our ISP supposedly called with a name of a movie, the time DL'ed, and so forth. Said there may be fines if we're caught doing it again.. Our service is through a smaller carrier than my home service so I've just decided to cease anything there. At home though, I want my shit trump tight. I'm behind two hardware firewalls and one software. Don't want to be paranoid, but I also don't want to catch nonsense over a Garth Brooks Discography or some shit.

Exactly. No need for them to know what you're doing.

router (Linksys WRT110) question.. Every time I have two laptops on my network, the wireless goes out. Does not affect my desktop/xbox which are both hardwired. Is there a setting that I can adjust to make it quit doing this?

router (Linksys WRT110) question.. Every time I have two laptops on my network, the wireless goes out. Does not affect my desktop/xbox which are both hardwired. Is there a setting that I can adjust to make it quit doing this?

Turn the MTU down to 1492 and see if that helps.

Did you update the firmware at any time?

No, it is still the same as when I bought it. Should I try updating it? I have a friend who suggested some 3rd party firmware that will work on this router, but I dont want to fuck anything up.

having problems with virtual PC 2007. First of all its running Windows 7 Enterprise. I allocated 2gb memory to the virtual machine and still its slow. Its the X86 32 bit version it only supports 4 GB of system memory. The base operating system is Windows 7 professional. I took split the 4 in half for the virtual machine giving each machine twice the recommended minimum. The base operating system is plenty fast. Virtual system painfully slow.

Problem 2. I cant make the screen large enough to apply or confirm group policy changes. Its just a little too small. I can go in there (slowly) and enable features make policy changes but as i cant click OK or Apply nothing changes. There isnt a scroll bar and the window doesn't open wide enough. It i go in full screen mode it doesn't display more. Just makes everything bigger. When i go outside of the virtual PC screen and grab the corner its pretty clear its not getting any larger.

So anyways. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I may try VM Ware instead. I can get the program for free i guess. Im pretty straight on these practice tests. Usually get 80-90% and have read the press book for the windows 7 test a couple times. The thing about it. I want more hands on experience and practice. I own Windows 7 professional and really its more than i would ever need for my own home office setups. Ultimate and Enterprise editions have things like AppLocker, Bitlocker, BracheCashe, DirectAccess... Aside from training purposes I have no real use for any of it especially for the 219.00 it would cost to upgrade. I been using this 90 day free trial of Enterprise from Microsoft and thats whats in the Virtual Machine. I dont want to reload the computer with the trial version as the only operating system because its a pain in the ass but i guess i could. Just reload professional in 90 days