<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

hey

im trying to use BitTorrent v5something, on XP, and i got an ADSL connection.

i have hardly ever used torrents, but every time i try it is slow as fuck. it would be faster for me to fly to to Chile and copy that shit on zip drive and get it back home.

and another thing, it seems to use a lot of bandwidth.

any advice? cheers

hey

im trying to use BitTorrent v5something, on XP, and i got an ADSL connection.

i have hardly ever used torrents, but every time i try it is slow as fuck. it would be faster for me to fly to to Chile and copy that shit on zip drive and get it back home.

and another thing, it seems to use a lot of bandwidth.

any advice? cheers

Are you using a router?..

if so, you need to portforward that shit..

heres a link on how to get started.

http://portforward.com

also, make sure the file youre trying to download has enough seeds and its not dead.

if you dont have a router, i dont know what to say..

• Like 1

hey guys,

lately firefox has been fucking up.'firefox is not responding'

it has been occurring more frequently the last few weeks

whatcha say?

thanks in advance!

if props are in order, just ask.

have you tried to reinstall firefox? did you download any toolbars lately or anything of the sort?

Are you using a router?..

if so, you need to portforward that shit..

heres a link on how to get started.

http://portforward.com

also, make sure the file youre trying to download has enough seeds and its not dead.

if you dont have a router, i dont know what to say..

cheers.

yeah i have a router and know about the seeds thing.

that site is great. im setting it up now.

thanks

Guest shai_hulud
yes sir it did.... thanks for the help......again

Good! Let us know if you need anything else in the future.

Oh, and from now on- if anyone has props they want to give me for computer advice, give them to casek. It's more fun for me to see what will happen the more props he earns.

Maybe he'll turn into a butterfly, or something. Or get that 12 oz. mail order bride.

WEll it half solved the problem, everything doesnt stop responding when i lose connection.

but all my browsers will randomly stop working on the net even though i have excellent connection. (local and internet)

I can disconnect and reconnect. reset network adapter. and its still the same.

the only way i can get back online is to restart.

Im hoping when I go back to my usual connection this will all go away but I doubt it.

i take that back it just did the same shit again

Ok, so I'm in the market for a laptop, and I've noticed that the Sony Viaos are always a couple hundred dollars more expensive than other brands that are similarly equipped. I'm wondering why this is and if there's some reason I should shell out the extra money, because I keep seeing Gateway laptops with 3 gigs of ram and a 250 ghz hard drive in the $800 range, and then I'll see a Viao with 2 gigs or ram and a 180 ghz hard drive for $1100. What's up with that?

My problem is I don't really know what to be looking for or comparing other than ram and hard drive..:confused:

Guest shai_hulud

I think Asus are the best for the money. They're durable and they're pretty well equipped considering what you pay for them. A decent (upper midrange) one runs around $1100 new.

With Sony, you're buying the name. I hear they have a good warranty, but they also seem to have a somewhat high failure rate, as well.

I'm not really an authority on laptops, however. I guess I'd be looking for the most RAM and the best wireless reception. Any laptop I get new in the future will probably get the largest solid state drive I can afford installed right away.

My bro got this HP laptop for around 1100 USD, with 3 year warranty.

Specs

250 GB Disk Drive

2GB RAM

2.2 GHz Centrino Mobile

Windows Vista

512Mb Nvidia graphics

I did some research and I too found out that Sony had their prices jacked up.

If i were you I would trust HP, or even the Dell XPS seems to have a good reputation.

2GB of RAM is plenty and 3 or 4 wouldn't make that much of a difference.

The major things i would look for in a laptop would be

The processor, dedicated video memory, at least 2GBs of RAM, at least 200GB Hard drive, and warranty

i need serious help with my ibook.

i was using it last night and it was fine.

so i turn it on today...and it appears that it somehow rebooted itself to about 2weeks ago

none of my recent files are on there anymore.

just the applications that i recently installed.

i still have the same amount of gigs that i had last night

is there anyway to undo all of this?

can anyone help?

Guest shai_hulud

I'd like to help, but the God's honest truth is that I can't for the life of me figure out why OS X does what it does with files. I know it's supposed to be a Unix hierarchy, but...there's some nooks and crannies I don't...quite...get. Normally I'd say "just call the home folder what it wants to be called and look at your cron tables from three weeks ago to see where everything goes...", but that's not gonna work.

Your best bet is to take it to a Apple store and have them do the necessary hocus-pocus. As long as you didn't erase anything or do a temp file cleanup, everything is probably still there, just waiting to be put back in its proper place.

Good luck.

I'd like to help, but the God's honest truth is that I can't for the life of me figure out why OS X does what it does with files. I know it's supposed to be a Unix hierarchy, but...there's some nooks and crannies I don't...quite...get. Normally I'd say "just call the home folder what it wants to be called and look at your cron tables from three weeks ago to see where everything goes...", but that's not gonna work.

Your best bet is to take it to a Apple store and have them do the necessary hocus-pocus. As long as you didn't erase anything or do a temp file cleanup, everything is probably still there, just waiting to be put back in its proper place.

Good luck.

thanks alot anyways

i have found out the reason why.

you are NOT suppose to rename the home folder.

if you do the desktop will completely change.

in order to restore it you have to open the home folder....i will post some pics later to help explain this.

but i have figured it out for future reference.

what allows you to launch an application, display a document,

or search for info on the web? 10 letters

short on screen note associated with objectto wich you are pointing. 7 letters ending with (P)

im doing a crossword can ya help a brother out?

first one is webbrowser

second one is desktop