<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

weird question, but:

is there any way for me to record a radio show that is streamed online through a radio stations site? and if so is there any way to make it happen automatically m-f 6am-10am?

bonus weird question:

any way for me to use a desktop sata hd as an external hd on my laptop with some kind of converter or some shit?.. (im more interested in retrieving data and putting it on an external hd than using it as an external long term type of thing..... just too lazy to put a desktop together and load an OS and then use several different drives as slaves to retrieve what i want....)

ps..... im sick of moving all the fucking time..........

• Like 1

quick question for anyone who knows about getting into cell phones, my apologies if this has already been asked:

I'm using an old Nokia 6010 right now since my old phone broke and I'm waiting on a replacement (this was the only phone I had laying around that I could use the GSM card in). The "menu" button isn't working on this thing, and I have about a dozen text messages that I can't retrieve. Is there any way I can read these texts online or something? It's irritating the shit out of me that I can't access texts right now.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

quick question for anyone who knows about getting into cell phones, my apologies if this has already been asked:

I'm using an old Nokia 6010 right now since my old phone broke and I'm waiting on a replacement (this was the only phone I had laying around that I could use the GSM card in). The "menu" button isn't working on this thing, and I have about a dozen text messages that I can't retrieve. Is there any way I can read these texts online or something? It's irritating the shit out of me that I can't access texts right now.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

depends on yer phone company

tryin to learn microsoft office 2003, active directory, ect ect. get certified. Eventually take the tests I think theres like 5 of them and become a certified microsoft engineer. Look for an entry level IT job. Neither here nor there. I start building a network this weekend. Now heres the problem im having. I read the active directory book. I have the rest of the office 2003 package and it looks to be a step by step type hookup that i will use when I set up this network.

I understand the concept.... what im having trouble with is all the acrynyms. Theres a million of them and i dont think i will ever be able to really get this shit if i dont know what they mean. For example AD DS, DNS LAN SMTP DHCP RODC. for starters.

Any suggestions on where i can learn this shit? is there a web site that explains some of this? I looked but IDK

microsoft certifications ARE good, but it only does you well if there's solely microsoft products there, i.e. if there's linux involved you're fucked. and i mean shit dude. if you don't know what LAN means, and you've been reading a networking book, maybe you need to get a new networking book, because yours isn't going over the topics well at all.

and google works wonders. no offense, but if you want to be an IT worker, and you can't simply find the definitions for acronyms online, i doubt advanced networking principles will stick, because you WILL need to know every one of those.

it's a dick move, but i'll let you find where you can get those. it's an asshole thing to do, but in the end it'll help you more. IT jobs aren't about knowing all the answers, but knowing where to get the answers IMMEDIATELY. keep searching google, and you'll find them. all of them.i promise you that.

if you want some advice... get a new networking book, get a junk PC and put redhat linux on it, get another book on linux, and read both cover-to-cover.

and just some warning, when you make the jump from home network to 100 pc networks, it's a LOT different, and frankly, very overwhelming.

in today's job market, you need to be WAY more overqualified than the next guy. i've been working in software development for 2 years, and a job as a fucking bike messenger is better than that. just bear in mind. if you want to have a good career, the comptia certs are best (linux, network+,A+, etc. pretty much industry standard), and go to a community college, because you won't be considered for a lot of jobs without a college degree (bachelors).

hope i didn't come off as too much like a dick, but you're getting it straight from a guy who's been fighting to get a (steady) job in IT for the past 8 months.

• Like 1

found microsoft technet. thanks

community college in the fall. I really hoped to figure out this 2003 shit on my own tho. I have a bunch of pentium 4 processors i can network. All the hardware i need to build with is

available to me for free. I mean... none of it is new new but it should serve my purposes just fine. Ive faster machines to play on. A question tho... Ok. you can get a bachelors in computer science but still be unemployable too right? Kinda like learning spanish at some prestegious university in spain only mingling with socialites then moving to a slum in Mexico. Sure you have a foundation but you dont have the dialect, the slang, the culture, the lots of things. Its all about what you kno and what you are certified in right? What you have hands on real time knowledge in? or am i wrong. I have a BA in a totally unrelated field to computer science. I plan to get some certs on top of my BA and see if that takes me anywhere.

Crkteeth. you are propped. Any other advice you got feel free to float it by me

any BA is better than no BA, at least you have one, and an employer will sometimes look the other way if you show that you have the knowledge. maybe a program you made, site you built, etc. even show them a snippet of code if you can program. you need to prove to be somewhat useful to them. i mean someone can know how to use the tools to build a house, but they'd be better off making cabinets. know what i'm sayin`?

computer science BAs are fucking awesome in the job market, and normally you don't need it from an awesome university. a BA on top of a few comptia certs will float you to the top of the pile pretty quickly. if you have some previous work experience, or at least know enough to PRETEND you do (i.e. lie on your resume, and say you worked with a few now defunct companies that they could NEVER actually check in on, but still know enough to actually do the job. like IT manager for ames stores, or some warehouse. in that neighborhood).

i still can't stress enough that comptia certs are the most asked for in the jobs i've been encountering lately. network+ means that you really know your shit, but on the downside, this is all corporate networking. which means like 100+ pc networks, something that's hard to emulate on your own. the microsoft certs are useful for the higher tier jobs, but that also requires higher tier certs, which are also serious-ass cash.

go on demonoid and check out the network+ study guides, and it'll be a huge help. a lot of the concepts are shared, and networking in a linux/unix environment is good knowledge to have on top of windows networking. not particularly easy. but it looks awesome on a resume`.

i wish you serious luck on your studies, the IT job market sucks. try to find some small business to work with while you study so you can build up your work experience, so if a prospective employer isn't impressed with your schooling, you can show him your work experience and tell him to shove it up his ass.

my pops an IT in a capacity similar to that you described using Mac & Pc, over 100 comps.

Told me he could get me an internship with his outfit. Unpaid, however, i'm trying to puts shit together and i will need hands on experience. Plus it couldnt look half bad on top what i already have and what i plan to aquire. I shall look at that comptia and network +. I got laid off and have nothing but time and fortunately some resources.

my pops an IT in a capacity similar to that you described using Mac & Pc, over 100 comps.

Told me he could get me an internship with his outfit. Unpaid, however, i'm trying to puts shit together and i will need hands on experience. Plus it couldnt look half bad on top what i already have and what i plan to aquire. I shall look at that comptia and network +. I got laid off and have nothing but time and fortunately some resources.

do it. net+ isn't hard at all. fucking do it. businesses love experience, you'll get training that cannot be paid for, and in the meantime, study your ass off.

this is urgent something wrong when i type it comes out backwards like siht seriously to type regular i have to hit the letter key then hit right directional arrow to move cursor to keep left to right......in other words i am being forced to type sdrawkcab.... please help ihave a dell inspiron 6000 laptop

seems like either the touchpad is going bad you are having a driver issue or the left arrow key is stuck on the keyboard,

have you tried doing a system restore to before it started happening?

not sure what the issue was....i did a shutdown and everything seems in order now...fuckin crazy.

i also did a system scan and removed any neglible objects

thanks guys

So here I am on my Macbook and Itunes is saying the following..

"The Itunes Library cannot be saved.. The disk you are trying to use is full"

Anyone know how i got about fixing?

It also wont let me download any podcasts for the same reason..

So here I am on my Macbook and Itunes is saying the following..

"The Itunes Library cannot be saved.. The disk you are trying to use is full"

Anyone know how i got about fixing?

It also wont let me download any podcasts for the same reason..

wow ( have you read what it says?) pretty self explanatory

try empting the drive ( remove some old stuff you dont want or need)

Help~

My computer monitor is being fucky as hell.

The tool bar that's normally at the bottom keeps getting smaller and smaller and the bottom of the screen just goes black. So everything shown at the top begins to look squished. Sometimes it pops back to normal and sometimes i have top hit it and that doesn't always do the trick. I tried taking a screenshot but yeah, it doesn't show up.

Help~

My computer monitor is being fucky as hell.

The tool bar that's normally at the bottom keeps getting smaller and smaller and the bottom of the screen just goes black. So everything shown at the top begins to look squished. Sometimes it pops back to normal and sometimes i have top hit it and that doesn't always do the trick. I tried taking a screenshot but yeah, it doesn't show up.

laptop/ or desktop monitor?

I found an ipod nano laying around the house that worked but now it just flashes with an Apple screen. I pushed some button and a diagnostic test came up then the battery went flat as it was running a disk scan. Anyone know how I can use this diagnostic menu again as nothing seems to be coming up, as I now have it plugged into my PC.

I mean days ago it was working fine, I loaded a ton of music onto it, and then the other day it was in my bag and when I went to use it this flashing screen came up and I have no idea why. Anyone out there know what I am talking about or is it just a fucked battery or something?