Movie Recommendation Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

just watched

AVP2

Juno

I am legend

hitman

Overall

AVP2 has come back to the classic bloody action, just like aliens. The end gives us a clue to the next AVP movies.

Juno was OK, it kind of felt like napoleon dynamite meets my life the tv series. Had some good parts but won't be seeing that filck again.

I am legend was pretty good, a bit slow but good story.

Hitman was a waste of time, there was only one part in the movie that was worth anything. Other then that the whole movie blew balls.

tear-it's more of a psychological thriller/drama. it's about a samurai who focuses his negative energy (chi) into his sword. where as samurai are supposed to focus positive energy, and become one with the sword. in turn, this dude turns bat shit crazy and is just out to kill for the sake of killing and becoming feared. i used to be a bit of a film geek, and got really into samurai film for a minute. this one stuck out to me because of the plot and visual asthetic.

IFC is showing it on their channel. i saw it was showing a couple weeks ago.

if you like seijun suzuki check out gate of flesh. thats pretty tight.

but most 12ouncer would not dig his movies.

tatsuya nakadai is a great actor (sword of doom)

check out face of another based on a book by abe kobo

a guy loses his face and then makes himself a new one to see if his wife would cheat on

him with himself

• Like 1

serum --looks like i'll be hitting up the netflix with your requests. thanks.

as for most 12oz heads not liking suzuki's films --do you think it's an attention span thing? i always thought his storylines were strong, visual asthetic always kept up, and you can even look at them as sort of "retro" cool. i love "branded to kill." the whole concept of a hierarchy of organized killers is always a great start to a script. i definitely hear you though, most classic japanese film tends to bore people. that's why i won't recommend to many Ozu films on here.

i will recommend:

Kwaidan.jpg

Well I love Suzuki’s set design and use of color. Japanese films do take patience. They aren’t the type of things you want to pop in with a bunch of friends and just enjoy. It’s a different satisfaction that you take away from them. Sword of doom didn’t even have an ending which would ruin the whole movie for most people.

Face of another is great but it’s slow, artsy, and very psychological. Try sunna no onna as well (woman of the dunes) same director and same author. A man that is searching for a bug that lives in the dunes gets stuck in a sand village forced to live like a bug.

That’s one of my favorites.

i just added all these to the netflix que. my girlfriend is going to be pissed. too fucking bad though, she made me get the whole first season of "heroes" --so once i'm through those, it's going to be a japanese film marathon.

not to get away from all the japanese recommendations, but i thought this was a pretty good movie. it's easy to watch, nothing to deep and philosophical, but yet still not cornball and stupid. it's french.

51VQGWP2D7L._AA280_.jpg

these are two other films i like as well:

Elling-Plakat.jpg

man-without-a-past.jpg

and "leningrad cowboys" was the shit as well:

leningrad_cowboys.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Did you ever get back to me/us on that?

hahaha....the jim carrey movie....

actually...i rented it to watch it with a girl....about 20 minutes into the movie, we started getting freaky...and 10 minutes after that we were all out fucking.

i tried watching it a few days later, but i got a call from some friends to hang out like 20 minutes into the movie...

by the time i actually had free time to watch it....it was due back at blockbuster...

long story short.....i paid like $4 to rent it and never ended up getting past the first half an hour.....

i was bumbed about that cause i really wanted to see it....and im now out $4.

i think i'll rent it again though if i decide to get a netflix membership.