Radio DJs Play Racist Song Mocking Tsunami Victims

Theodore Huxtable

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miss Jones and the rest of the crew got suspended.

Hey guys, lets come out with a song about Sept 11 and air it! What will Hot97 be saying then? Exactly. Fuckin sociopaths.

And yes Giving tree, the shark does not care about the song. But because we have things a shark does not have (ie, ability to rationalize, etc.) I cannot and dont think many can ignore that song. So, I understand your buddhism-like comment, but, no dice.

Giving Tree..stop being an absolute prick.

wernet you the guy who started a thread ages ago about people voting for your niece (or some kind of relative) to win a competition to get an illness of his sorted out??? how would you like it people laughed at that???

by the way, that is a minor comparison...i think 60 thousand people died (that might be wrong)...laughing at something like that isnt on..especially laughing at them on radio

update:

YO ASS GOT FIRED

HOT97’s Miss Jones & Morning Team Fired!

Thursday - January 27, 2005

Silver T

Late last night New York's #1 station Hot97 released this statement, regarding the Tsunami Song

Statement from WQHT-FM, HOT 97

January 26th, 2004 (New York City) - Miss Jones and the HOT 97 Morning team have been indefinitely suspended for the airing of a song that made light of a catastrophic event, as well as comments made at the time the song was aired.

Earlier this week, Miss Jones said on the air "I apologize to all who have been offended by my poor decision to go along with playing that insulting (to say the least) Tsunami song. I should have known better and I didn't. So I'm sorry and hopefully we can move forward from this, or I can move forward from this being a better hostess, because I am better than that, and I know better than that -- and you deserve better radio than that."

While Miss Jones has apologized on the air, in the media and on the HOT 97 website, station management felt that stronger action was necessary to demonstrate the severity of the situation.

Emmis Radio and HOT 97 will not tolerate such derogatory and racially insensitive content. This incident in no way reflects the spirit of HOT 97. The station has a long-time and well-known reputation for community involvement and support.

Emmis Radio President Rick Cummings said, "What happened is morally and socially indefensible. All involved, myself included, are ashamed and deeply sorry. I know the members of the morning show are truly contrite. They know their actions here are inexcusable."

We would like to clarify that no company advertising on our station had any connection to the Tsunami Song and no company advertising on our station endorsed or sponsored the offensive material aired on the "Miss Jones in the Morning" show. We apologize for any misunderstanding that may have caused listeners to believe that anyone, other than the morning show staff, was responsible for the material that should not have been aired.

Originally posted by fatalist@Jan 26 2005, 09:57 PM

I cannot believe an entire team of people thought that this song was a good idea

i cant believe anyone even listens to hot 9-7, especially in the morning...

who the fuck wants loud obnoxious ghetto slang with their morning coffee and cigarette...

not this guy....

making fun of tragedy in the comfort of your own home, or even on some irrelivent message board is one thing, but when you broadcast to millions of people and have advertising revenue to consider, it's in insanely bad taste. but even beyond that, i'm not even so much outraged that they did it, i'm more annoyed that i KNOW they'd go apeshit if it was something that effected 'their' people. i'm not generally one to play 'morality cop', but i'm all about calling out hypocrits.

seeks/i am down for playing bad lietenant

(you know, or however thats spelled)

oh, and you're right key, that is played out....played out like puerto ricans without fathers!

Originally posted by seeking@Jan 27 2005, 01:40 PM

making fun of tragedy in the comfort of your own home, or even on some irrelivent message board is one thing, but when you broadcast to millions of people and have advertising revenue to consider, it's in insanely bad taste. but even beyond that, i'm not even so much outraged that they did it, i'm more annoyed that i KNOW they'd go apeshit if it was something that effected 'their' people. i'm not generally one to play 'morality cop', but i'm all about calling out hypocrits.

on the song they were making fun of the Africans that died too. all in all it was still racist and repulsive.

Originally posted by KYU@Jan 27 2005, 10:30 AM

why cant they make fun of who they want to. why does anyone have to fit in with anyone else's view of what is in line or out of line.

if someone made a song parodying september 11, you would be cool with that too? a friend of mine lost 17 members of her family in galle in sri lanka, how the fuck do you think that song would make her feel? go play in a freeway.

Originally posted by Giving Tree@Jan 27 2005, 10:43 AM

who cares, seriously. big fucking deal. don't like it? don't listen.

img0005.jpg

see this dude? think he gives a fuck about talk radio? no. he's a shark. know what matters to him? eating seals and fucking infants and sea lions and shit. racism is no concern of his.

put shit in perspective.

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

people deal with verious situations in various ways. I in no way justify what they had done, but who the fuck really cares? who gets all up in arms every time shiite muslims go on rants about white devils? who throws fits when Eminem talks about homosexuals? who got all pissy when Marilyn Manson spoke out against christians? Right now there are a number of MAJOR civil wars occuring, nuclear stockpiling, and major racial / religious profiling and "cleansing" and you are worried about a song. there are plenty of better battles out there.

a majority of all media is a fucking cesspool. you'll bitch about a song that was made in bad taste, then go home and listen to Copywrite or Pantera, and thats ok. yeah, it was a fucking tragedy, I realize this, but if you don't like what a radio station says, you don't need to listen. if you don't like what an artist says, don't listen. but you can't go around throwing piss fits about one when you let the others slide. thats hypocritial.

giving tree is an equal opportunity hater. fuck everyone.

it's just that the media has a responsibility. it's not a case of 'just turn it off it u don't like it'. Most people in this thread didn't hear it and are pissed.

You're right there is alot of serious shit going on in the world - the tsunami was one of them. But did you know that the enthic cleansing in Rwanda was largely the result of an uncontrolled media? There is freedom of speech and our choice to listen or not; but there's also places you just can't go when you are in the media.

I hope you don't see this as a piss fit

by the way, that shark told me he's really unhappy with the way he's been portrayed in hollywood and blames it on a lack of regulation in the media

Originally posted by Giving Tree@Jan 27 2005, 08:11 PM

people deal with verious situations in various ways. I in no way justify what they had done, but who the fuck really cares? who gets all up in arms every time shiite muslims go on rants about white devils? who throws fits when Eminem talks about homosexuals? who got all pissy when Marilyn Manson spoke out against christians? Right now there are a number of MAJOR civil wars occuring, nuclear stockpiling, and major racial / religious profiling and "cleansing" and you are worried about a song. there are plenty of better battles out there.

a majority of all media is a fucking cesspool. you'll bitch about a song that was made in bad taste, then go home and listen to Copywrite or Pantera, and thats ok. yeah, it was a fucking tragedy, I realize this, but if you don't like what a radio station says, you don't need to listen. if you don't like what an artist says, don't listen. but you can't go around throwing piss fits about one when you let the others slide. thats hypocritial.

giving tree is an equal opportunity hater. fuck everyone.

I see what you're tryin to say, but honestly who is this going home listening to Copywrite and Pantera after criticizing a song in bad taste? Also, is Copywrite and Pantera making fun of current events involving mass casualties, and labeling those victims with racial slurs? I don't you can compare their "entertainment gimmicks" with a radio station making a song for the sole purpose of mocking Tsunami victims and calling them racial slurs. The disc jockeys should exercise some responsibility and make good judgments. And this one was common sense. I'm more shocked at the fact they thought they could just do this and nothing would happen to them in return. With all the massive charities across the U.S. (and the rest of the world) set up for the Tsunami victims (probably largest mass charity in history), it's hard to believe that they could be so ignorant and do a song in an atmospherer that is clearly sensitive to the situation, and think they'd get away with it.

Originally posted by <KEY3>@Jan 27 2005, 12:44 PM

update:

YO ASS GOT FIRED

HOT97’s Miss Jones & Morning Team Fired!

Thursday - January 27, 2005

Silver T

Late last night New York's #1 station Hot97 released this statement, regarding the Tsunami Song

Statement from WQHT-FM, HOT 97

January 26th, 2004 (New York City) - Miss Jones and the HOT 97 Morning team have been indefinitely suspended

Not fired, just "indefinitely suspended." They just took 'em off the air for now, and anything goes. Hopefully they'll be fired, but as of now they still have their jobs.

Originally posted by <KEY3>+Jan 27 2005, 03:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (<KEY3> - Jan 27 2005, 03:01 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-MESTHREE@Jan 27 2005, 03:52 PM

Anyone who makes fun of the Tsunami is totally homo.

post-11535-1105697966.jpg

damn royals!

[/b]

I love that picture. See, I am a big admirer of tsunamis and other natural disasters, so talking up a tsunamis is no big deal. But making fun of the victims to that extent is nuts.

Miss Jones can't try and apologize. What a hypocrite! Do you guys not see that she was on air dissing up Miss Info for not wanting to be involved, claiming that if you're going to play something, you've gotta back it up? And now she is saying it was a mistake. Fuck her stupid loudmouth. She needs to get a job at Mr. Lube or something.

Miss Info, on the other hand, should not lose her job. She went on the record as saying that she didn't agree with that song being played.

Originally posted by seeking@Jan 26 2005, 03:03 PM

...but you know damn well that miss jones and them would be going ape shit if someone was making fun aids in africa or something that effected black people.

fuck them and rap.

This is the absolute fucking truth.

The mindset of innercity black America were, as far as they're concerned, the only people who've significantly suffered is themselves is played the fuck out. Call me a racist or what ever you want but it is time for black people to get off their racial high-horse. I know they've been through a lot, but it doesn't mean that they can, themselves, purvey racism against other groups of people and poke fun at a tragedy that killed hundreds of thousands of people because it didn't involve "them". Fuck that. If I was to walk up to "Miss Jones" and call her a nigger to her face she'd start screaming at me about how ig'nant I am. Enough with the double race standards. She and the rest of her staff absolutely deserve to be fired.

AND...

What is even more pathetic is that we're approching black history month and this is the best a bunch of black radio hosts can do with their time. Fucking shameful.

Originally posted by Theodore Huxtable@Jan 26 2005, 01:43 PM

In an on-air exchange, Todd Lynn, another crew member, burst out with the statement “I’m gonna start shooting Asians.”

AND WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THIS SHIT? I seriously hope that this assholes child drowns in a fucking swimming pool so I can track him down and make fun of the situation. Dude doesn't deserve to be fired... He deserves to be fucking shot. It's funny how such small scale incidents can get you ticked off, but, let's be fucking serious... This shit is fucking sick.

Also, the argument of free speach is bullshit in this situation, because, whether you agree or not there is a group called the FCC and if they can decide that radio stations have to edit the word "tree's" in reference to pot, then they better fucking decide that this is not allowed. Fuck you and your bullshit arguments. When Bill Mahr made a comment regarding September 11th that wasn't remotely as offensive as this you all were probably red in the face.

Archived