Illustrator

dosoner

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how many of you use tablets to draw in illustrator or other programs? I'm considering investing in a Wacom Intuos 3 9x12 tablet and getting into more digital drawing and such... so I'm just curious if anyone uses tablets and or likes them....

I think I'd be much more capable with a "pen" tool than a mouse, as I am simply more inclined to draw acurately with a pen/pencil type utencil.

any ideas or suggestions? feel free to pm me as well.

Originally posted by Giving Tree@May 26 2005, 05:32 PM

how many of you use tablets to draw in illustrator or other programs? I'm considering investing in a Wacom Intuos 3 9x12 tablet and getting into more digital drawing and such... so I'm just curious if anyone uses tablets and or likes them....

I think I'd be much more capable with a "pen" tool than a mouse, as I am simply more inclined to draw acurately with a pen/pencil type utencil.

any ideas or suggestions? feel free to pm me as well.

I have one of the smaller tablets, but i rarely use it with Illustrator. It just feel's weird for some reason and i cant really draw that good with it, but it goes perfect with photoshop as i do alot of photo clean up work at my job and it's so much faster than a mouse.

it's just that i've been playing in illustrator and the mouse feels very counter-intuitive. I hardly ever get the stroke i want, it seems to "hang up" in sections, and ultimately feels awkward.

Similar to Dalek (i know, i know) i want to be able to replicate my work in illustrator for re-printing purposes, and exploring a digital media. The mouse just seems like a bad choice. Could it be my mouse is just a cheap piece of crap, or am i just too impatient to learn the craft?

an important thing to do when you are using a waccom tablet is to double click on the brush or pencil icon in the tool bar.

an options screen will pop up.. turn off "fill stroke with color" and "keep selected" adjust fidelity and tolerance to whatever feels appropriate.. spend about 30 minutes.. building some new calligraphic brushes.. of different thicknesses pressure sensitivty and angles... make sure to save your new set of brushes..

either way youre going to have to spend time editing vectors and paths..

I have just got illustrator but have a basic idea of how to use it. I found a tutorial on how to make human pictures into cartoon if you know what I mean...Part of this process it to find the shading on the person, but I find it really hard to see where the shadow is on a persons clothes and skin. Is there a simpler way of making the shadow stand out or any certain shades stand out, or do I have to just look extra carefully, figure it out for myself and draw around the dark bits with the pen tool? If i'm speaking a lot of confusion to you, sorry about it, I'm finding it hard to explain what I mean.

Originally posted by shirkone@May 26 2005, 02:47 PM

I have just got illustrator but have a basic idea of how to use it. I found a tutorial on how to make human pictures into cartoon if you know what I mean...Part of this process it to find the shading on the person, but I find it really hard to see where the shadow is on a persons clothes and skin. Is there a simpler way of making the shadow stand out or any certain shades stand out, or do I have to just look extra carefully, figure it out for myself and draw around the dark bits with the pen tool? If i'm speaking a lot of confusion to you, sorry about it, I'm finding it hard to explain what I mean.

Increase the contrast on the image....this should help you to differentiate between highlight, midtown, and shadow areas.

Originally posted by shirkone@May 26 2005, 05:47 PM

you need an image with a higher contrast maybe? or you can take the image into photoshop and up the contrast

Originally posted by heavyLox+May 28 2005, 10:14 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (heavyLox - May 28 2005, 10:14 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-shirkone@May 26 2005, 05:47 PM

[/b]

posterize dat shit- it'll dumb down the blends.

I love my wacom. I feel retarted doing art with a mouse. And a wacom is pressure sensitive... and it even has an eraser on the back...

Probably better for more traditional looking art done in photoshop or painter.

Lately I'm learning maya. Talk about a steep learning curve.

Y'all should peep this board though...

http://www.cgtalk.com/

And you can find TONS of tutorials there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A lot of great shit in here.

Here's some work of mine, nothing special:

tmv.jpg

selfportrait.jpg

alexhull2.gif

6b3b2d4c.gif

aleisterz.gif

149065605_l.jpg

<object codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" height="480" width="640">

<param name="movie" value="Untitled-4.swf">

<param name="play" value="true">

<param name="loop" value="true">

<param name="quality" value="best">

<param name="Scale" value="showall">

<param name="align" value="center">

<embed src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/RobertLBurgess/Untitled-4.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" quality="best" loop="true" scale="showall" play="true" align="center" height="480" width="640">

<<--shirt submission for threadless.com

Black Flux:

You can bring that 3D into Photoshop and clean up that stepping on the edges of the letters. It would look a lot crisper.

Overlaying patterns: Color it in Photoshop and clean it up in illustrator

The bottom arrow ?: I think those are seperate vectors, I would be surprised if it was a pattern

doing that isnt super complicated.. its really well exectuted though.. its just a matter of being able to control bezier curves, simplify shapes. smooth and adjust.. and add some gradients. alot of doing illustrator isnt about artistic talent. its about tracing and interpretting into something more visually interesting or clear. just invest sometime.. i learned through trial and error.

Archived