Price points on high-end denim?!

misteraven

18 hours ago, swif1 said:

Yooo I used to lurk on SuFu heavy and then moved to StyleForum. I still visit that place from time to time, but there's a lot of old money there, no doubt. Enjoyed the sneakerheads and SLP threads. Used to frequent /fa/ a lot pre-athleisure heh.

/fa wasn't too bad til it got overrun by kids dying for supreme

• LOL! 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Anyone have a vegetable tanned leather belt in natural color? Though I'm convinced that's obligatory when owning raws. Might pick up another Billykirk Mechanic's Belt in black that's a size smaller since it's on sale.  Considering punching a new hole in my Tanner Goods belt too 🤔

edit: Just remembered my original question: Any of y'all adjust/fix your staxxx or am I just weird? 🤣

Edited by swif1
  • Props 1

9 hours ago, swif1 said:

Anyone have a vegetable tanned leather belt in natural color? Though I'm convinced that's obligatory when owning raws. Might pick up another Billykirk Mechanic's Belt in black that's a size smaller since it's on sale.  Considering punching a new hole in my Tanner Goods belt too 🤔

edit: Just remembered my original question: Any of y'all adjust/fix your staxxx or am I just weird? 🤣

my stacks start to climb up my legs cuz the denim is so stiff

that's not weird at all 🥴

• LOL! 1

16 hours ago, swif1 said:

my jeans have a pretty wide leg opening a la "NT Denim" lol and I usually cuff so no staxxx on my 3sixteen's and 2 pairs of my RRL's.  

I hemmed and tapered the RRL's pictured above but I went the n00b/ cheap route and got the taper done through my local dry cleaner/ alteration AZN spot.  I told her specifically I wanted the taper on the inseam and the bitch did it on the outside thus no more selvedge line.  I almost shed a tear.  fuck I'm still pissed to this day.  

For the hem job, I had it done at the RRL store on W Broadway and they fucked that shit up as well, the chainstitch was all over the place, prolly cuz the denim was still raw without first soak.

My other pair of RRL's that I hemmed and tapered, I went though a shop called Loren in Greenpoint Brooklyn.  Top notch job and I get all my alterations and repairs through them.  a bit pricey for the taper ($75) but the piece of mind of having it done the right way was worth it.

Does anybody have any experience with black denim?  My 3sixteens are black but I gained some weight and they've been sitting on ice after only a couple of wears.  gives me motivation to lose this covid weight.  I wonder if it will fade gray or brown.... need answers.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

4 hours ago, CLICKCLACKONER said:

my jeans have a pretty wide leg opening a la "NT Denim" lol and I usually cuff so no staxxx on my 3sixteen's and 2 pairs of my RRL's.  

I hemmed and tapered the RRL's pictured above but I went the n00b/ cheap route and got the taper done through my local dry cleaner/ alteration AZN spot.  I told her specifically I wanted the taper on the inseam and the bitch did it on the outside thus no more selvedge line.  I almost shed a tear.  fuck I'm still pissed to this day.  

For the hem job, I had it done at the RRL store on W Broadway and they fucked that shit up as well, the chainstitch was all over the place, prolly cuz the denim was still raw without first soak.

My other pair of RRL's that I hemmed and tapered, I went though a shop called Loren in Greenpoint Brooklyn.  Top notch job and I get all my alterations and repairs through them.  a bit pricey for the taper ($75) but the piece of mind of having it done the right way was worth it.

Does anybody have any experience with black denim?  My 3sixteens are black but I gained some weight and they've been sitting on ice after only a couple of wears.  gives me motivation to lose this covid weight.  I wonder if it will fade gray or brown.... need answers.

do you have a 3sixteen shop where you're at?

11 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

Bet. That's exactly what I need. 800 oz denim. Shits an inch thick and I can slide down  a roof on my ass to get them to break in and fade.

Bro! Check out this guy's fades. Fucking SICCCCCCCCC

3 hours ago, CLICKCLACKONER said:

Fucking NT denim. 💀

Yo, we all make mistakes on the first run. My APC's and N&F's were tapered from the outseam too. I have a lot of black jeans and believe it would fade to a really dull black. You're the first person who I came across who've use the freezer method unless you meant it figuratively. Everyone I've met always said they've "heard" it works. Imo, it'd be best to do soaks to wash them as opposed to the washer. Alternatively, you can use the dry cleaners.

IMG_4724.thumb.JPG.645b6b03deb592102204da77051a61dc.JPG

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, swif1 said:

@CLICKCLACKONERTIL rope dyeing is what allows the jeans to have a white center (of the yarn). I thought it was the opposite this entire time.

https://www.heddels.com/dictionary/rope-dyeing/

https://theunbrandedbrand.com/pages/rawdenim

For hardcore japanese brands, a la blue blue japan, they use traditional dip and squeeze dyeing for their cotton

they rope the cotton out, bundle it up, then just continuously dip then squeeze for however long they want in natural plant indigo dye.

just for the dyeing process it could take weeks to get the color because plant dye doesn't stay dark for long in oxygen and sunlight.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CLICKCLACKONER said:

I got it from self edge. I think they had a show room in the LES but I don’t think they have a retail shop. I could be wrong as I haven’t been shopping for denim in a few years. 

I did go to a 3sixteen sample sale last year. 

do you ever go to self edge for hemming and tapering

id think theyd be the best choice since youre close to them

Just now, CLICKCLACKONER said:

@glorydaysyeah I got it hemmed there. I don’t taper my jeans anymore. But the denim bro at the shop suggested an old school alterations dude down the block for tapers. 

aaah...i got you

yea, i will never get my raws tapered...there's only one real garment that transcends all fashion trends, its fucking raw denim

Thank you for sharing those videos. I had dinner watching them. I like the Sapporo one and decided to pass on 3Sixteens. Hit up their shop then decided I'm going to stick to 3Sixteens. 🤣🥴😔 crazy to see how labor intensive it is. I don't even want to check their site. 

https://www.buaisou.shop/ buddy from Sapporo

Think I'll just stick to their shirts and accessories instead 

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

3 hours ago, swif1 said:

Thank you for sharing those videos. I had dinner watching them. I like the Sapporo one and decided to pass on 3Sixteens. Hit up their shop then decided I'm going to stick to 3Sixteens. 🤣🥴😔 crazy to see how labor intensive it is. I don't even want to check their site. 

https://www.buaisou.shop/ buddy from Sapporo

Think I'll just stick to their shirts and accessories instead 

The japanese are fucking obsessed

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

Lol im hoping these hard ass jeans will hold my rickety ass together for one more season.

They will. If crotch blows out, you can have them repaired and reinforced! High key looking forward to your review/updates. 

19 minutes ago, glorydays said:

The japanese are fucking obsessed

You right. Thanks to them, we have wabi-sabi. Really though, the popularity and resurgence helped cement my love and appreciation of denim. 

Cinched waist thing is just overkill but I can dig it, just not for me. 

• Truth 1
  • Props 1