Price points on high-end denim?!

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

those same hipsters are the ones that put rules on how to wear, what to do, and where to find denim.

the back cinch is for the cosplayers trying to dress like artisans and builders that existed back in the 1800's

I mean, if that's what you want then cool, but don't go around condemning the casuals who aren't into dressing like a lynch mob

• LOL! 1

1 minute ago, mr.yuck said:

These cats spend so much money to look so poor.

Also something Ive been meaning to bring up. Almost on the daily I have people asking me where I got my jeans. They are ripped in the knees and have paint and caulk all over them. Is there really a market for this shit?

LMAO

YES

Reclaimed Vintage Levis 501 Jeans In Paint Splatter, $73 | Asos | Lookastic

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

Interesting. Im gonna set up an etsy and just steer people towards my page. "Authentic work style denim"

do it...you'll make a fucking killing

sell each pair for 700

the thing is, this trend came about because mexicans in Los Angeles who work construction are seen walking around in their work pants.

it's fucking classist

Edited by glorydays
  • Like 2

Random thought: It surprised me luxury designers don't market or share anymore info on the details of their jeans. I have a distressed pair that's LHT. I suspect it's to balance the feeling of the patches of fabric sewed on the inside rubbing against your skin. The color is amazing too. 

9DBDB966-4ADA-408D-BEB5-5E6449B2F3AD.jpeg

4EF20D80-84A4-4EA0-9C8F-66AD75D3BFBE.jpeg

BD56C979-B935-421E-987F-E7FACCCC2FFF.jpeg

02869A25-6167-4E53-B786-C2871C2F83E0.jpeg

• Truth 1

1 hour ago, glorydays said:

those same hipsters are the ones that put rules on how to wear, what to do, and where to find denim.

the back cinch is for the cosplayers trying to dress like artisans and builders that existed back in the 1800's

I mean, if that's what you want then cool, but don't go around condemning the casuals who aren't into dressing like a lynch mob

Gotta live gatekeepers

1 hour ago, mr.yuck said:

These cats spend so much money to look so poor.

Also something Ive been meaning to bring up. Almost on the daily I have people asking me where I got my jeans. They are ripped in the knees and have paint and caulk all over them. Is there really a market for this shit?

Yes. Destroyed denim was cashing in for the longest time. That and biker/motorcycle jeans a la Balmain and Saint Laurent Paris.

Glory days already posted an example. I'll extend it even further. Margiela came out with the "bird splatter" GAT's, it was slept on but gained mega traction through the years. You can also do this with acrylic paint. Ngl, first collection was best bahaha

Pic for reference:

image.thumb.jpeg.0945b3cf59e0f8b2eb065bf320fb9b03.jpeg

Edited by swif1
  • Like 1
  • Truth 1

21 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

@glorydaysI was talking to my dads uncle a few months ago and he was talking about when he was younger he would wear his jeans out in the rain and let them dry on his body in the sun to get those janks tight as fuck. I guess this would have been in the early 50s.

you were right about the stretching...soaking them would def make them a smaller size again

• Truth 1

@glorydaysDamn there's so much starch left in the jeans. The honeycombs and stacks look paper thin and brittle, they'd shatter if you throw them to the ground. Did you pinroll the Unbranded's because that's a serious taper at the end.

Here's my MIJ SLP's. Left is 100% cotton selvedge and taper work. Right is stretch cotton; originally looked like the left; no chainstitch. Had the crotch reinforced on both recently.

IMG_4290.JPG

• Like 2

@glorydays my denim is between 10oz-12oz. I've handled a 12oz pair of selvedge chinos so I suspect the jeans above are 10oz. 

I prefer lightweight because of the weather here. However, I do have some cold weather denim. I dream the day I find another pair of coated denim like what Yeezy wore (Dior Homme Holy Night).

Y u gotta attack me like that 🤣 I had a pair of Crooks and Castles selvedge that I gave to my friend. I actually posted it in this very thread many years ago and holy shit. I still remember it as if I posted it yesterday talking about the fuzziness of the cotton. So cringe. 

He loves them for how skinny they are and  wants a new pair with that cut but without the dye loss or fades. I was like 

053FC5FF-66DB-4143-9B79-7B21A23A8266.jpeg.a00195d8beed5705a59d8a784cd90b28.jpeg

But really I was like

15A7A953-76F3-4462-8C2B-05FEA645ED81.jpeg.7be440ca406eb01766e02f23e3987ce1.jpeg

• LOL! 1

Selvedge is mainstream now, family. I wonder how many people have gotten into raws/selvedge now. Probably not a lot. 

Oh yeah, I forgot to write this last week. Circling back to the Japanese YT video you shared, When I saw the all those vats filled with water and dye, it put things into perspective in terms of waste, (water) consumption, chemicals, etc. on a mass scale. It reminded me that global brands more than likely are not green and I should stop supporting it. That I'd block out the negativity. Isn't that cognitive dissonance to a t?

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 11:47 PM, swif1 said:

Random thought: It surprised me luxury designers don't market or share anymore info on the details of their jeans. I have a distressed pair that's LHT. 

I've just come to the realization my SLP jeans are all rope-dyed. Just end me, fam 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Edit: actually, all my denim is rope-dyed smmfh

Edited by swif1
  • Truth 1

5 minutes ago, swif1 said:

I've just come to the realization my SLP jeans are all rope-dyed. Just end me, fam 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Edit: actually, all my denim is rope-dyed smmfh

its just a faster and cheaper way to make denim tbh

but you are right about the water consumption....artificial indigo uses up soooo much broski

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, glorydays said:

its just a faster and cheaper way to make denim tbh

but you are right about the water consumption....artificial indigo uses up soooo much broski

Yo!! I thought the same. You have it backwards too!! 🤣

https://theunbrandedbrand.com/pages/rawdenim

Vat dyeing is the fuccboi way. I wonder if there's Japanese denim mills that use synthetic indigo. Just noticed that can be used as JDM lolll

What shoes you wearing with your raws? Wheats?

• Truth 1

8 minutes ago, swif1 said:

Yo!! I thought the same. You have it backwards too!! 🤣

https://theunbrandedbrand.com/pages/rawdenim

Vat dyeing is the fuccboi way. I wonder if there's Japanese denim mills that use synthetic indigo. Just noticed that can be used as JDM lolll

What shoes you wearing with your raws? Wheats?

i have to take a look at that

I don't believe japanese mills use artificial indigo since they grow their own and make their own dye...what would be the use of the artificial stuff

11 minutes ago, glorydays said:

what would be the use of the artificial stuff

I'm thinking of the large companies that source (and manufacture) their denim in Japan. I read/watched something about a small brand bumping into a rep for a designer brand at the same mill (maybe Weaving Shibusa or an article that references it). If MIJ (as a whole) truly means 100% natural indigo is used on denim; then I can stop wondering :3 bout to just hit up the nerds on r/rawdenim or SuFu haha. Maybe I'm just thinking too much

Edited by swif1
  • Truth 1

30 minutes ago, swif1 said:

I'm thinking of the large companies that source (and manufacture) their denim in Japan. I read/watched something about a small brand bumping into a rep for a designer brand at the same mill (maybe Weaving Shibusa or an article that references it). If MIJ (as a whole) truly means 100% natural indigo is used on denim; then I can stop wondering :3 bout to just hit up the nerds on r/rawdenim or SuFu haha. Maybe I'm just thinking too much

If you can dig for it then that's much appreciated...i don't even know where to look or where to start