bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest TEARZ

joker, you are working it homeboy. 4th place is nothing to poo poo about. i'm disappointed to find out that it's supposed to rain on sunday, and the crit is not held if it's raining... so maybe in a few weeks. i'm way nervous about two weekends from now... a 50 mile jam with some no joke mountains. goal for that one: simply to finish. if i even race it, i might wimp out. but actually, i have to stop wimping out. i go on fast group rides with cat 3s, 2s, and stick with them so.... in a cat5 race anything can happen. yeah, fuck it i'll do it....

Originally posted by cinnamon toast crunch804

steve you have to get a cross bike

Thats my goal for the fall. I got a lot of shit for riding my mountain bike, but that was my first year racing cross. Now that I'm addicted....I have to come up with some cash. Any suggestions on a cross bike? I was looking at Bianchis and LeMonds.

Nationals and SuperCup were in Overland Park, Kansas December 15-17 2000. It was colder than hell frozen over. I'm just running a little behind on posting things in a timely manner.

http://store6.yimg.com/I/cyclocrossworld_1684_344216'>

this is the bike i really want frame and fork will run you close to 600.

http://www.cycleworldplus.com/conquest_pro_bike.jpg'>

this is the frame i rock...it will cost you 500 frame and fork complete somewhere around 1200-1400 i really like it, it was cheap it's light and rides great

http://www.ibiscycles.com/products/bikes/road/hakkalugi/photos/images/hakkalugi.jpg'>

ibis..it's steel and will run you 1000$(i believe that's complete)

http://www.ifbikes.com/img/frames/planet_cross/steel_380x310.jpg'>

independent fabrication...very popular..not sure how much it will cost you

EBAY

http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_10e2444eedb2c9a11f1bd6d7fb/i-1.JPG'>

52 cm http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dllViewIt...item=1827824698

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=1827732648

^^^really good deal. 58cm treck frame and fork

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=1827265229

that's a steal if you are a 54cm...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=1826925513

or if you are a 56cm

http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_4a4b55eda7c958896ce6e16f/i-1_B.JPG'>

yeah i really have nothing to do right now..im waiting for my dad to pick me up from the dorm so i can go home

that Empella looks sweet, whats it made out of? I'm pretty dead set on getting a steel frame.

I've noticed a lot of guys around here rockin the Redline. Last I heard its a hell of a deal and everyone seems to really like them. How well do you like yours?

I used to own a Cannondale with a headshock. I destroyed the shock within three months. After that I've kinda avoided them.

Originally posted by cinnamon toast crunch804

awesome...i heard horror stories about this race

You have no idea. I was helping out with the medical side of things that whole weekend. We had lots and lots of hypothermia cases. There were a couple guys that wore shorts for the nationals...they had tights the next day.

This one girl (can't remember her name) broke her wrist racing. During the race she taped her hand to the bars, so she could keep going. I think she podiumed...can't remember for sure.

Another one suffered a concussion and couldn't remember her name.

Originally posted by SteveAustin

I've noticed a lot of guys around here rockin the Redline. Last I heard its a hell of a deal and everyone seems to really like them. How well do you like yours?

my first bike was a FUJI coss..it was nice the only thing that really bothered me about the fuji was the break cable ran on the bottum of the top tube..right where you set the bike on your sholder..i hated that so much.

the redline was just that...a hell of a deal and through my shop i was able to get the frame for under 300$ ive been pleased with it..it handles great, has held up wonderfully..the paintjob is a bit flashy for me..im a simple person..but it's cool.. it's fairly light

surly makes a steel cross frame..but i'd say the most popular steal frame would have to be the independent fabrications

BTW: thanks for the suggestions.

I was just looking at the new Fujis. I noticed the cable is routed on top now. I almost bought the Surly Crosscheck last year. Somebody pointed out the weight (not that I'm that big of a gram freak) and I decided to pass and get a little lighter ride. I'd love to get an IF. One of my buddies had a really nice IF...then he got hit by a car. Now, one of my other friends has a really beaten up IF.

oh yeah cinnamon is done with his first year of college....oh yeah...

pulling throught with 2 A's, 3 B's and 1 C (damn biology 101)

and not that i am home and out of the city i washed the bike today and took off the chain took all the nasty build up the city brings to your bike off tomorrow im replacing all the cables and housing and handlebar tape and breakpads oh it's going to be fun...

Actually, from the Mapei squad... I'd like to see Tafi take this one home. The guy is a great rider and seems to be the only considerate guy in the field. But if anybody from Mapei takes it it's going to be Bettini. You can bet Oscar will battle it out for a few stage wins though.

Cinnamon... nice on the grades!!! Excellent...

Tearz... you still racing tomorrow?

Guest THE LAW

THE LAW's knee pops now when riding....it goes "pip pop " with every stroke...that can't be good.

ride on cutters~!

rain all weekend....fantastic.

One thing i dont get about the whole bike culture is the dumbness of the clothes. I can see why pro racers would need that shit, but everyone else is going for the image, expecially the mountain bikers who shave their legs and wear tight spandex and "cool" team jerzeys. When i go riding i wear jeams a t shirt and a protexc skating helmit. Its always fun to pass up the dude with his 5000 dollar titanium bike in tight ass spandex and all that shit. I know you guys will argue this point with me and say that biking clothes actually help. But i think they arnt necesary unless your really serious.

see that's the thing i ride my bike 80 miles some days and if i were to do that in jeans shit would not be fun...the spandex shorts have extra padding for the ol' butt. spandex is all about aerodynamics...yeah some people don't need it...same with running.. people run in shorts that are lose they don't run in jeans...same concept with cycling the spandex is more comfertable and aerodynamic to ride in.

Guest TEARZ

no race this weekend joker... a combination of factors; a deluge and a death in the family. i found out right after a 60 mile training ride on saturday. i'll have to see how things go this week. if i can train properly, i'll do this mountainous 50 miler on saturday, but it seems unlikely right now.

on a lighter note, cipollini dominated this morning in the giro. while i hated him, i have softened to him significantly. the cycle sport article helped his cause, and i dunno, he just seems more likable in his older age. he won both the stage and the inter-giro sprint, and consequently, he gets to wear the maglia rosa. today's race was kind of boring however... it was flat as hell, and no one dared to break away at all. not even any of the scrub teams or young riders trying to prove themselves. the most interesting occurrence was a crash at the start of the 3 lap circuit for the finish, which shredded the peleton and ruined the seemingly high chance that the group would all finish together.

Tearz... sorry to hear the bad news. I hope things look "brighter" for you soon.

Suburbian Bum... One thing you might consider when you're passing up somebody all geared-up in a team kit is that they may be on their way home from a long ass ride. Whereas you may be heading to the local 7-11 for a bag of Extreme Doritios.

Now... on to today's race report...

The Mother's Day Criterium. A lovely half mile loop with, what the flyer calls, a slight incline. Slight would have been nice. And where there's an incline... there's a decent. The corners were sharp and the course was fast. My coach ran me through the course a few times before my race to give me an idea of where I should try to be and what I might expect. This was extremely helpful. As was Cinnamon's advice to keep off the end of the pack and try to stay in the middle. So the bell whistles and everyone lines up at the start. 32 guys. The course is counter-clockwise so I get my fat ass all the way to the right, and up front. The bell rings shortly there after and I gun it for the first turn. I'm in second position and not liking it. We then start the descent part of the course. I stay in second till the hill side. This is when the skinny minny's zoom around me like my brakes were on. I let no more than five guys go past till I hop out of the saddle and work for position. This whole episode goes on for more than 25 minutes. Gaining positions in the false flat and descent then losing it in the hill. At one point I here the announcer say that average speed is 29mph. I say to myself that this is a cat4 race... why are we going balls out? Anyway. With about ten minutes to go before the bell for the final lap I'm finally able to catch my breath and take a breather or two in the middle of the pack. Which I found out after the race was only 15 guys. The other 17 were pulled out because we had lapped them. Didn't even know. I guess I was focused. I stay in the middle and use the the other riders to block the wind. This goes on till the last lap bell rings... and things speed up. We head down the descent one last time and at the corner the two guys in front of me lock handlebars. The sound was really weird. It was like this slow increasing friction of metal till they slammed into the bushes/ trees. The guy in front of them looked back and I just gunned it to get around him. Didn't work. He saw me coming and did the same. When I got to the hill I was spent. I pedaled up and over and then used what little energy I had to sprint to the line. And I was told that I finished in 11th. Though I haven't seen the official results posted yet. To be honest though... don't care. I finished and I finished fairly high. I'm stoked.

Now, let me tell you something about my frist Crit experience... fucking brutal! The pace is outrageous and the margin for error is nill. The bumping of bodies took me back to my days of racing BMX. It's scary. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Anyway... thanks for the great advice Cinnamon! I used it to my advantage and it worked.

damn Mr. Joker, your a straight up bicicletas GANGSTAH....

so im guessing that 'crits' are critical races based on upwards of 20 laps on courses ranging from .5 to 2 miles, with 2 miles being a bit on the long side...thats some hardcore stuff...

got any stories from your yesteryear days of bmxing for us Joker?

Guest HESHIANDET

tearz sorry to hear about your bad news.

joker if you weren't so darn good at painting i'd say you should be writing for velo...or riding for mapai, your choice.

oh and bike shorts make my legs look john blaze...

Originally posted by iiii

i'm thinking about picking this bike: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=1827389040 up off of ebay. it seems like an okay junk/around town bike for me, and it's in my price range (maybe). can anyone give me a reason not to place a bid (other than the outlandish shipping costs)?

First bid US $49.99

Currently US $51.00

:lol:

don't ask