bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

hey Hesh i have a question for you...

a good friend of mine is moving up to central philly this summer. he really wants a job as a bike messanger...he has gone on the internet and called a few places but he said they were really snotty. If you know. can you let me know which places are good and which are bad. and if any of them are hiring..it would be a huge help. thanks man...

humidity sucks big ones

Re: Re: word...

Originally posted by bl4ckh4m

ebay dood. i just got a bianchi off there for 217 including shipping.

yeah i was checking on there...there was a bianchi i was going to bid on but the guy pulled it off and relisted it on the last day...im still looking

man oh boy, i've ridden an bunch this week. +15000' of climbing the past three days, all off-road. i can feel the dust and cobwebs blowing out of my lungs.

and i have this to say about helmets: wear one. i took a header into a stump today at a more than reasonable clip. i recall a split second before impact being airborne, flying superman-style, and seeing the stump in my trajectory. i guess i instinctively protected my face and took the blow with the top of my head/helmet. luckily for me, the stump was pretty well rotten and exploded upon impact. i escaped an accident that could have shattered my spine with a bloody nose, a broken helmet and a few trivial scratches. sobering.

an hour before my friend tried to duck a chest-height downed pine on a fast downhill. there were an array of spikes sticking from the underside of the trunk from the broken branches on which he apparently snagged his pack and shoulder. i came upon him a few moments after the accident, saw him lying on the far side of the tree and feared he had been clotheslined. his shirt got pretty torn and he's got a big scratch on his shoulder and down his back. in retrospect he's just plain lucky he didnt leave a sizeable chunk of flesh and sinew hanging from one of those broken branches.

lets hear it for close calls. and rigid singlespeeds. but not for ticks, which were out in force today.

yeah i am soooo down with helmets. especially on the trail, road, eehhhh, i skip mine sometimes, but on the trail, it has saved my life. just the other nite i was niteridding wth a group of friends an saw a buddy get dropped so hard. he washed out his front tire, on a fast decent, inbetween some roots and the bike just did like a sling shot deal to the side and he got body slammed, like wwf hard, i saw the whole thing including his head ricocheting off this exposed tree root, soooo hard. he was lucky to have a helmet on at the time. in fact the first thing he said after he stopped moanning was im gald i'm wearring a helmet. ouch! i was suppossed to race ths weekend,but cant now. got hit with som pretty heay bills and cant afford the time off from work, not to mention i m going to have to move up to working 7 days a week, jus to catch up. i am pretty bummed about missing this race, next month maybe.shuks

I think wiping out on the road scares me more than on the dirt. I've wrecked so many times on dirt and come out ok most of the times. I've seperated my shoulder twice (same one), but nothing too serious. The only time I ever got a concussion was wake boarding. I can only attribute this to wearing a helmet. I always wear a helmet when I'm riding off road. Most of the time on the road, except for pub crawls and easy recovery rides around the neighborhood.

My advice for ticks....shave your legs. I know I'm asking for it, but I haven't had a tick embed itself since I started shaving. I do have a nice collection of ticks that did try to steal my blood. They are forever emtombed in 3M scotch tape.

Hopefully I can get some miles in this weekend. I've been hella busy this week. Feel sorry for me...I have to go to a co-ed bacholorette party this weekend. :D

Guest TEARZ

hoping to do some serious miles this weekend.

i wear the helmet 95% of the time. now that i've got a nice new helmet, i really enjoy wearing it. when i had a bootleg 30 dollar piece of junk, i wasn't too gassed on wearing the helmet. spend the extra $ to get the ill style. your head will thank you.

I always wear the helmet when I'm riding mountain bikes, sometimes on road ... mostly when riding in traffic. It's saved my life a few times though, and I should wear it all the time. I rode ten miles today. I know that's not too much, but it's the first time I've been on a bike (aside from grocery runs) in weeks. The humidity here is killin' me though. I rode to the store the other day (like 2 miles, tops) and I nearly threw up.

Guest TEARZ

clocked 100 miles between saturday and sunday, so i'm reasonably happy. got to put the hurt on some old dudes in the group ride this morning, hahaha. punctured this morning on a downhill at 30mph, front wheel, and was lucky enough not to wash the fuck out. good weekend for riding for shure.

fuck maps.....we had this awesome route maped out... it was a beautiful day sunny 75degrees day...one of the damn roads was not there...we got all lost our 70 mile ride turned into 85 miles.... yeah getting lost sucked but man riding 85 miles hurts... getting lost wasn't too bad it's just on the way back we had to ride of bigger roads with more traffic then the ones we had mapped out...but shit happeneds

pictures

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/respectable/turn.JPG'>

me not at the front of the pack during the crit

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/respectable/meandnavey.JPG'>

somewhere durring the roadrace

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/respectable/dadyelling.JPG'>

my dad there yelling at me to get to the front of the pack

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/respectable/startofcrit.JPG'>

me trying to get to the front at the start of the crit

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/respectable/leadgroup.JPG'>

me in the lead group during the roadrace

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/respectable/warmup.JPG'>

me and my ugly self warming up for the roadrace

nice pictures cinnamon. for serious. the faux wood panneling on the minivan remind me of mom's old station wagon. ahh, the good ol days.

today while riding in the mnt's it snowed. hard. but only for a couple minutes. it i was beautiful, flakes falling on the silent pines; my flush, rippling, masculine forearms steaming as i creaked slowly uphill. the first sip of the camelback ten degrees colder than the rest of the resovoir. lots of wildflowers blooming and the undergrowth has that haze of yellow-green. it lets you know your alive, by gum.

I went out last night with the intention of doing a nice urban spin. Ended up putting 3.5 hours of mtn single time in. I also managed to hit my "first car". I had the light and this bitch pulled out in front of me. I hit her rear quarter (mainly the plastic bumper part). I wasn't going fast enough for it to do any damage to myself or her car. It did however leave a nice "tire print" for when she got home and looked at it.

Nice photos Cinnamon... thanks for sharing! Those NAVY guys look to be out in full force. Do you like crits? I know you're a climber by nature but I'm curious if you like them or not. Do you think they're more suited for sprinter types? I have a crit this weekend and it has a small climb in it... bring the pain!

Been riding a lot but mostly intervals and hills. Desperately trying to build my endurance up. The last few races I've done I've been able to keep with the pack easily, but the few times I attacked I couldn't keep the field away for more than a minute or so. They would swallow me and spit me out to the back. And my team mates don't work together. We're constantly counter-attacking our biggest rivals. It sucks because we have to use a shit load of energy to keep them in our sights. Then when it comes time for the hot spot points and the sprint... we're spent. I keep thinking that we should be doing the attacks and making them work. Then again... I'm pretty new to this so it's very possible that I'm wrong.

I forgot how crazy 4/5 races are!! Guys all over the place... nobody holding their line. Scary. Definitely best to be at the front in a 4/5 race.

yeah crits they are ok..hilly crits are fun...flat crits hurt me

well i've only done 3 crits..

the first one had a steep tenth to 2tenths of a mile climb in so i was able to hang it with the lead pack easy... the hill really spead the field out...

the second one had a shorter less steep hill in it and i was just able to keep on the back 3rd of the pack.

the third one was like a high school track but a half mile long...i got dropped after 20 laps or so....

for me you can see how much the climbs effect my performance...they are not tottaly for sprinters only it's just a matter of getting in the pack and working your ass off for the first quarter of the race...then, usaully the tempo of the pack slows down and your able to catch your breath..but on thing my dad was telling me was if you are having trubble staying with the pack in the beginning...when that tempo slows down you can't just hang on the back and rest you have to get to the middle of the pack then get your rest in... another huge impact in the out come of the race is who can corner the best...remember the riders at the front of the pack don't have to slow down through the turns the riders 3 wide in the pack going around the turns have to break...so riders that break away from the pack aren't nessisarly the most fit riders..they can corner well and are able to gain time on the pack...

if you are a good climber then it's a huge advantage for you...lots of riders are scared of climbing(i don't know why) but i have come to the conclusion that climbing is 80% mental (like a lot of different aspects of sports) when you come around each time and see the climb don't think to yourself "damn i have to climb this again i don't think i can" if you say that your siking yourself out..i think to myself "fuck yeah let me see how fast i can get up this hill or how can i hurt the rest of the riders"

As youknow crits are famous for crashes be carefull and let all the riders around you know where you are going into the turns..a simple on the inside or outside helps alot.

one problem i find with me in the crits that are flat is i can't keep with them on the flats (the same applies for roadraces) but the few timetrials i have done i finish near the top...i don't understand

flat crits are better for riders that are strong, good sprinters and most importantly good cornerers.

hilly crits depend some hills sprinters can muscle through it and they finish well..when the hill is steep and long the climbers have there glory

yeah im really board and i don' t feel like studying for my math exam anymore...sorry for the rambling...ahh billy joel just came on...

Guest TEARZ

wow, good points to consider, especially since i'm doing my first race of the season, which is a criterium, this weekend. i'm scared. i'm certainly preparing to crash. :beat: :beat: :beat: i have little group riding experience, my idea of cornering is never touch the brakes and throw the bike out in to the turn, i'm reckless and clueless on sprints and it's on a nice completely flat fast surface... i'm done i'm telling ya. :beat: i really have no idea what to expect. i have no problem staying with the group over a long and pretty fast group ride, but i'm certainly not a "strong man," so i'm thinking i'm gonna get flushed this weekend. whatever, i'll have fun doing it... any tips? also, anyone know anything i can do to speed recovery time?... i.e. i just climbed a mucka ass hill and i want to make it so that i can attack (or at least respond to attacks) on the descent instead of wheezing for two full minutes. intervals?

stay relaxed!! number one

go with the flow and stay in the middle of the pack don't chase the tail end you'll die and end up getting droped...it happened to me

have fun...

if you make it to the last turn don't sprint through the turn your peddle will hit the road and you will go down (it happened to my friend the other week)

i think if i make it to the finish line in one peice it's all good no matter what place i get

with recovery time...it's all about how fast your can get your heartrate back down..you get your heartrate drop by doing intervals and lots and lots of training

Today's race report...

Two mile loop, mostly flat with a few false-flats thrown in to keep it interesting. Seven laps with three hot spots. The pace from the get go was fairly slow. I don't have an odometer on my race bike right now so I can't really tell you exactly how slow... probably 15-17mph. Not much happening during the first lap. Basically everyone is getting comfortable. Half mile from the first hot spot and the pace really picks up. I'm sitting about ten guys back from the front when I see two guys speed past me on the left. I try to react but quickly realize it's too late. I take it easy through the line and wait for the guys to be picked up. We go around again and same thing... half mile from the line the pace picks up. This time I'm in a good position. I hear a couple of clicks behind me and know that someone is making the jump. I react and grab his wheel as he goes by. He and I hold it out for first and second on the second hot spot points. Then the pace dies down a bit for a lap and then things get interesting about a mile from the line. Guys are making the jump early. I keep my pace and hope they get pulled back. We get about 500 meters from the line and their caught but the pace by now is moving. I'm in sixth position and make the break on my own from about 300 meters out. I hold my line but am beat by two others. I still got some points though for third. A few more laps of restful riding and the final lap comes in. By now we've lost more than ten guys off the back. Which leaves about fifteen of us... which I know because I'm drinking and kickin' it at the back of the group trying to get some rest in. We get about a half mile from the line and the pace really picks up. I'm sucking this guys wheel in about tenth position using what feels like everything I've got. 300 meters out and we all just take off. I'm fighting for an open line, find it and start spinning like a crack head. I only gain three positons and finish seventh. My legs are screaming by this point. Half hour after my race has ended I check the results... Fourth place overall. The pain was worth it... finally some results I can be satisfied with.

Thanks for the word on crits Cinnamon! This will be my first one so I'm a little nervous but a little anxious at the same time. I want to do good so I'm keeping a good outlook.

Tearz... best of luck this weekend, brother!

Cross

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/SteveAustin/Lead.jpg'>

droppin the hammer and rollin up front

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/SteveAustin/RunUp1.jpg'>

these guys won't leave me alone.

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/SteveAustin/RunUp2.jpg'>

all by my lonesome, feeling the pain.

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/SteveAustin/TeamWork.jpg'>

in the back doing the team work thing.

I'll post the SuperCup and Nationals from Kansas soon.