bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

So this may not be the easiest question to answer but I have been looking to getting a hardtail 29er for somewhere around 4 or 500. Just wondering if its possible to find a decent one at that price that will hold up for a while. I've been looking at the GT Timberline and it seems like it could work but I don't know much about those bikes.

any help would be appreciated.

You can get into lower end Gary Fishers for close to that price now, esp if you can find last year's model.

That's why I'd really encourage him to buy used. You can 3-4 times the bike by buying used. As long as you know how to inspect the thing for cracks, true rims, and know what a fucked fork looks like...

Thanks for the help fellers, what would i be looking at price wise for a decent new bike of the same variety ? that is , one that wouldn't require upgrades all around.

once again thanks, I found a diamondback around my current budget on craigslist .

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bik/4409517375.html

Not sure how great it is but I will keep my eyes peeled for some used goods.

That is a piece of shit, do not buy it if you plan to ride hard.

How tall are you? What is your inseam?

I'm looking at the Boston CL and there are plenty of decent 29ers within a couple hundred bucks of what you want to spend. You can offer low, this has worked for me in the past, or you can up your budget and try to meet them in the middle.

But, buying a proper sized frame is as important as not buying a piece of shit.

If you're not short, man enough to ride SS, and can spend a little more, buy this.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/4385026309.html

Haha , I will stay away from that one.

I'm 5'11 and my inseam is around 30/31.

I don't mind single speed but I would prefer something with a few more options for steep longer climbs on trails, that fork makes it tempting though.

Will report back with any potential options.

I get the hesitation, I've converted my SS back to fully geared.

You're probably looking at a Large frame, though some Mediums with long stems and laid back seat posts will work and some XLs will work to, There is some inconsistency between manufacturers, but L is likely what you'll need.

any of you guys break a lot of spokes/have to re-true your wheel(s) often?

i bike for commuting/travel, but it sucks and it seems to happen in streaks. a few summers back i lost 4 in maybe 2 months. broke one today too ... nervous that more will follow.

i don't think it's a weight issue (i'm 190lbs) and it's probably not rough riding.

thoughts/advice appreciated.

Thanks for the help fellers, what would i be looking at price wise for a decent new bike of the same variety ? that is , one that wouldn't require upgrades all around.

once again thanks, I found a diamondback around my current budget on craigslist .

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bik/4409517375.html

Not sure how great it is but I will keep my eyes peeled for some used goods.

Give us an idea of what kind of riding you're going to be doing, it makes a good bit of difference. Also, when it comes to SS, generally the rule is that the less gear (shifters, derailleurs, cassettes, etc.) means less expense. But, if you're in a pretty hilly region it may not be the way to get things started.

any of you guys break a lot of spokes/have to re-true your wheel(s) often?

i bike for commuting/travel, but it sucks and it seems to happen in streaks. a few summers back i lost 4 in maybe 2 months. broke one today too ... nervous that more will follow.

i don't think it's a weight issue (i'm 190lbs) and it's probably not rough riding.

thoughts/advice appreciated.

Wow, no, not without pre-existing damage from dropped chains, etc. You haven't dropped the chain down in between the cassette/cog and spokes, have you? This can chew and put small nicks in the spokes and when you corner hard the increased strain can make them pop. Have a look on your spokes and see if you can find any pre-existing damage that may cause failure.

Where exactly are they breaking, at the rim, the hub or in the middle? Can you send pics?

Wow, no, not without pre-existing damage from dropped chains, etc. You haven't dropped the chain down in between the cassette/cog and spokes, have you? This can chew and put small nicks in the spokes and when you corner hard the increased strain can make them pop. Have a look on your spokes and see if you can find any pre-existing damage that may cause failure.

Where exactly are they breaking, at the rim, the hub or in the middle? Can you send pics?

appreciate the help.

it's broken at the hub, which is where all my breaks have occured. MS paint arrow points to the broken spoke in case it's not clear

9T6ySQw.jpg

MJq2Hg7.jpg

Popped on the inside of the hub, not really sure, mate.

Maybe check the tension on the spokes and make sure they're not imbalanced. You'd expect a bit of a buckle in your rim if they were though, I guess. Sorry I can't be more help.

no problem, appreciate the help anyways.

• 4 weeks later...

Hahahaha, that's awesome.

Been back on my SS bikes smashing the single track lately. This luxury of gears, suspension, dropper posts and lightness has been spoiling me. So it's a month of single speed stomp sessions to keep me real.

Picked up a couple of 5000lm SolarStorm lights off Ebay as well. It's getting dark here at 17:30 these days and I don't always get the time to ride before then. Kind of looking forward to doing some lone night rides, should be something new and challenging.