bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

How about a carbon commuter...

trek_world_district_carbon_full_view_600.jpg

I still like this bike, I'm not even mad at the orange accents because I loves me some gray... and the brown and green version isn't all that ugly either...

trek_world_district_full_view_600.jpg

trek_world_district_green_600.jpg

How about a $400 commuter... the Gary Fisher "Gritty"...

trek_world_gf_gritty_full_view_600.jpg

And as usual... the retro/vintage looking bikes are calling me...

trek_world_belleville_mens_full_view_600.jpg

I dont get the draw of the belt drive Trek. Just seems like a gimmick, especially since you need a coupler on the seatstay to change it. Quieter or longer lasting my foot, single speed's make no noise and chains are like 7 bucks. High performance racing motorcycles still use chains. oh well

you just gotta check one out in person. they're literally silent - way moreso than a well-lubed chain. now as for riding one... i haven't gotten there yet.

is track bike geometry way different from road bikes? because i cant sprint with my hands in the drops...

yes, steeper seat tube/head tube coupled with higher bottom bracket, tighter wheelbase and shorter chainstays.

basically, the steering of a track bike will typically respond more to hand movements and less to leaning, the bike will feel slightly snappier in accelerations and it'll behave differently when you stand up to sprint. has a lot to do with how your weight over the wheels gets balanced on a track bike vs. road bike.

if you can't sprint in the drops, it's either a technique issue, a fit issue, or both. sprinting and being in the drops are two things that should always go together.

trek_world_district_full_view_600.jpg

grey and orange is my favorite color combination......

how much is this bike??

and the bike im building is going to end up looking like that gary fisher, i love bikes in that style

i wanna say $800+ i had looked at them before

• Like 1

I dont get the draw of the belt drive Trek. Just seems like a gimmick, especially since you need a coupler on the seatstay to change it. Quieter or longer lasting my foot, single speed's make no noise and chains are like 7 bucks. High performance racing motorcycles still use chains. oh well

I feel silly staing the obvious but automobiles have belts that are put through hell, unlike riding a bike to work and back, and they last for quite a while. My motorcycle is belt driven and it still looks brand new after 5000 miles in one year and year round riding in shit weather. I'm sure these belts are much stronger than the belt being used on the Trek but I'm also sure Its relatively strong. I'm goingto go ahead and make the assumption that the belt would outlast a chain drive.

i cant remember who mentioned road bikes that leaned toward track geometry, but is this one of them?

3n63k83m8ZZZZZZZZZ97ufc8625fbbb8f1da6.jpg

$345

Cannondale Criterium Series 10 speed road bike

decent deal?? i need a new bike...

Yeah, good deal. The prices will blow up on those as people that have been riding track bikes for years move into gears. The C-dale Crit is in demand for sure after all the lust after the early 90's Cdale track.

You can eye out crit geometry by looking at the fork rake (a bit less of it) and chainstay length (mainly, how close the tire comes to the seattube).

http://picasaweb.google.com/ng.email/Goldsprints#5371718053121846306 Me winning the first heat at gold sprints last night... I ended up getting 3rd overall. Look at my dumb ass look at the projector before it was over haha.

ive ridden a belt drive around a parking lot, it truly is amazing. the bike made no sound at all, it was sooooooo smooth, it had an internal 8speed hub that was adjusted perfectly so it shifted so smooth immediately. it was an amazing experience. if it had been on a road bike instead of a beach cruiser i would have been tempted to ride off with it....

you just gotta check one out in person. they're literally silent - way moreso than a well-lubed chain. now as for riding one... i haven't gotten there yet

i dont understand why you'd want a quiet bike. noisy campy cassette ftw. the quieter the bike, the more likely some d-bag on the handsfree is going to walk out into me.

• Like 1

Triplesuplex - rake looks lower but not that chainstay. Probably just a straight road geometry bike. You can always measure, too.

Those weren't stationary bikes... they're real bikes attached to rollers with a fork mount. That's pretty much what goldsprints are. They don't really reflect athletic ability or anything, just how fast you can spin your legs.

Acer - I think I'm gonna close the deal on this 29er tomorrow. Got a few questions for you...

I can upgrade the fork out to this in the long run: http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=886 for disc tab option. Would running a front disc brake/rear V-brake be chill? Any problems I'll run into?

Also I'd like to build up a tubeless wheelset when the Alex rims eventually run thin at the brake walls. Something like these ZTR rims http://www.notubes.com/ztr_rims.php with some Sapin Laser spokes... got any cheap hub options? I don't need bling, just dependability... I was thinking Deore LX or something. I can handbuild my own wheels so that'll cut down a little on expense.