IRAQ IS A DISASTER

TheoHuxtable

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

8 KILLED IN SUICIDE ATTACK ON PARLIAMENT BUILDING INSIDE BAGHDAD'S FORTIFIED GREEN ZONE; BRIDGE ACROSS TIGRIS RIVER ALSO DESTROYED

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The suicide attack on Iraq's parliament on Thursday has killed eight and wounded 20, U.S. military spokesman Maj. Gen. William Caldwell said.

After the attack in the building's cafeteria, more explosives were found near the parliament room and were destroyed in a controlled detonation, according to Iraqi lawmaker Iman al-Asadi.

It is unclear how the bomber was able to pass through the multiple security checkpoints required to enter the parliament building, which is in Baghdad's heavily fortified Green Zone.

The Associated Press, citing Mohammed Abu Bakr, the parliament's media relations chief, said some security procedures had changed earlier in the day at a Green Zone entrance near the parliament building.

The entrance's security scanner was not working, Abu Bakr told the AP, and pedestrians entering the zone were subject to hand searches and passed through metal detectors, he said.

The slain lawmakers include a Shiite, whose identity has not been released, and a Sunni, Mohammed Hassan Awadh, a member of the National Dialogue bloc, according to Muhanned Jabbar, an official with the office of Iraq's speaker of parliament.

Three lawmakers were among those wounded, Jabbar said.

The parliamentary speaker, Mahmoud al-Mashhadani, has called for an emergency session on Friday at 11 a.m. to show that lawmakers will not be deterred by the attack, Jabbar said.

The explosion happened around 2:30 p.m. (6:30 a.m. ET) as parliament members headed to the cafeteria following Thursday's session, al-Asadi said. Al-Asadi said he did not go to the cafeteria and headed to the legal department, where he heard a loud explosion from inside the restaurant.

Lawmakers and everyone inside the building -- which once served as Baghdad's convention center -- were immediately put in lockdown as a precaution following the explosion.

In addition to parliament, the center also houses Iraqi government offices.

There were no American casualties in the blast, according to U.S. officials in Baghdad and Washington.

The Green Zone, a four-square-mile area in Baghdad, is the seat of the U.S. military and U.S. diplomatic agencies, as well as the site of the Iraqi government and parliament. It is also known as the International Zone.

Security inside the Green Zone has been compromised in recent weeks, prompting the U.S. Defense Department to recently require all personnel to wear body armor and helmets when outside buildings in the Green Zone, a source there said.

On March 22, two mortar rounds struck inside the Green Zone during a live news conference, causing visiting U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon to duck in surprise.

On March 27, a U.S. soldier and American contractor were killed and five people were wounded when a rocket landed in the Green Zone.

Two unexploded suicide vests were found inside the Green Zone on March 31.

Truck bomb brings down bridge

A suicide truck bomb exploded on a major bridge in northern Baghdad Thursday morning, sending cars into the Tigris River and killing at least 10 people and wounding 26 others, according to an Iraqi Interior Ministry official..

Video of the scene showed two large sections in the middle of al-Sarafiya bridge collapsed into the river.

The al-Sarafiya bridge connected the predominantly Sunni Adhamiya neighborhood and Bab al-Muadham, a mixed district.

The iron bridge, one of Baghdad's oldest, was built by British forces in 1946.

U.S. military: Iran trains insurgents

Meanwhile, the U.S. military said Wednesday that Iraqi insurgents are being trained in Iran to assemble weapons and Iranian-made weapons are still turning up in Iraq.

The statement comes two months after the United States said it had asked Tehran to stop the flow of weapons into Iraq.

Coalition forces found a cache of Iranian rockets and grenade launchers in Baghdad on Tuesday, spokesman U.S. Maj. Gen. William Caldwell said Wednesday.

"The death and violence in Iraq are bad enough without this outside interference," Caldwell said. "Iran and all of Iraq's neighbors really need to respect Iraq's sovereignty and allow the people of this country the time and the space to choose their own future."

February, Caldwell said the United States had asked Iran to stop the transfer of weapons. (Watch why the U.S. is blaming Iran and Syria)

President Bush has said a branch of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard called the Quds Force is behind the supply of Iranian weapons. Tehran has denied interfering in Iraq.

Caldwell also said Wednesday that two militants who were recently detained said they had received training in Syria, another nation the Bush administration has accused of meddling in the region.

Munitions from Iran were found in a black Mercedes sedan in Baghdad's Jihad neighborhood on Tuesday after a tip from a civilian, Caldwell said. An Iranian-made rocket was found in the back seat and Iranian weapons were found in the trunk and around a nearby house, he said.

In an unusual development, he said coalition forces have found evidence that Sunni insurgents in Iraq received help from intelligence services in the Shiite nation of Iran.

Pentagon extends Army tours

The Pentagon announced Wednesday that the standard yearlong tour of duty for U.S. Army soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan has been extended to 15 months to meet targets for troop buildup. (Full story)

The tour extension, announced by Defense Secretary Robert Gates, is intended to make tours more predictable and avoid the situation of giving troops little advance notice they will have to stay. (Watch military commanders explain the extensions)

CNN's Mohammed Tawfeeq, Carolina Sanchez and Jamie McIntyre contributed to this report.

i bumped the iraq thread, since i'd like to re-ignite the iraq discussion. if you guys could chime in on that thread please do -- namely about the recent bombing inside the parliament in the "fortified" green zone, and the bombing that destroyed a road bridge in baghdad on the tigris.

although i'm not really surprised about the parliament bombing, i am impressed. despite the u.s.'s "troop surge," bombings seem to be getting more sophistacated and provocative. supposedly "al qaeda in iraq" has claimed responsibility. not only did they penetrate the green zone, but they hit its heart.

u telling me they dont use uranium now? go do your research homie

no thats not what i'm saying, what i'm saying is the only documented evidence of genetic mutation in children that i have seen has been in the context of depleted uranium used in the first gulf war. I'm sure in ten years there will be a new batch of deformities and sickness because of the uranium they're using at the moment.

If i'm wrong please supply me with a link which shows the effects of uranium that was used in the current iraq war and i will be more enlightened on the matter.

yumone

the internet is a blessing,use it and use it good,get the info and see if you can believe it or not,the saying "the truth shall set you free" its not a religious fairy tale.

GOOGLE it? uranium in iraq?

YOUTUBE IT? even better,images,like a book with pics,more interesting right?(tons of vids)

A BONUS...

IRAQI VETS ARRESTED FOR BEING IN PENTAGON AND PROTESTING ABOUT IT.

peace

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

fuentes i posted this in the gaza thread, check it out:

fuentes you should be careful with that website. i looked at a couple other stories, and they're fairly inaccurate. for example:

http://infowars.net/articles/june2007/150607complicit.htm

US occupiers complicit in Sammara blast

Press TV

Friday June 15, 2007

150607Ayatollah.jpg Related: Iraqis Accuse U.S. Of Bombing Shrine

Related: U.S. official: Samarra attack may have been inside job

The Leader of the Islamic Revolution has said the bombing of the holy Shia shrines in Samarra is aimed at provoking sectarian violence.

In a message on the recent bombing of the shrines of the two revered Shia Imams in the Iraqi town of Samarra, Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei blamed the intelligence services of the Zionist regime and the occupation forces in Iraq for the bombing, saying such terrorist acts are meant to intensify sectarian violence in the Muslim world.

The Leader urged the Muslims particularly the Iraqi people to remain vigilant in the face of the plots hatched to create sectarian strife between Shias and Sunnis.

He noted the holy shrines of the two revered Shia Imams in the Sunni town of Samarra, had been respected throughout history, whereas the recent event marks the second desecration of these holy sites since the invasion of Iraq by foreign troops.

So that's his article. I regularly frequent the blog of Juan Cole, who is widely respected as one of the preeminent scholars on Iraq. These were his reactions:

An Iranian embassy official in Baghdad admitted that the Samarra attack was probably the work of the Iraqi Baath Party. Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad had blamed the US, while the US fingered "al-Qaeda." The Baathists are the best candidate. Samarra is a Sunni Arab city with a strong Baath cell, and the Baathists are secularists who have a history of being willing to shell religious edifices for political reasons (e.g. attacks on Najaf in spring 1991). My readers who like conspiracy theorists should pay attention to this story; an Iranian observer in Baghdad would likely have some intelligence on this matter. In the first Sawt al-Iraq story cited above, Iraqi Sunni vice president Tariq al-Hashimi also implicitly blamed the Baathists ( http://www.juancole.com/ ).

Iran's Supreme Jurisprudent,Ali Khamenei, managed to blame the Iraqi Baath Party, the Wahhabi sect of Islam, the Salafi Jihadi radicals among Sunnis, and the United States, jointly for the blowing up of the minarets at the al-Askariya Shrine in Samarra. The shrine is among the holiest sites for the Shiite branch of Islam. Iran is the largest Shiite country, with 90% or so of its 70 million people adhering to it. Khamenei is both the head of the Iranian state and the head of Iranian Shiism, and is recognized as authoritative by some Shiites outside Iran, especially the Hizbullah Party of south Lebanon. Most non-Iranian Shiites follow instead Grand Ayatollah Ali Sistani of Najaf, who has called for calm. But Khamenei has a big megaphone among Shiites. His laying of responsibility for the bombing at the feet of the US will increase anti-American hatred in the Shiite world. Khamenei's heated and irrational rhetoric, positing a vast conspiracy among various groups that hate one another, is typical of the hardliners in Iran, but it is my impression that in recent months he has tended to leave the wilder talk to his rival Ayatollah Misbah Yazdi and his protege, Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad. I don't think Khamenei's remarks on this matter are a good sign."

It's not so simple as to entitle their article "US complicit in attack."

Mayor "Better journalism oner" Menino.

^just a case of muslims unwilling to accept responsibility for their own actions. too shamed to admit that muslims are becoming their own undoing. similar to how arabs claimed 9/11 wasn't done by arabs, but by israeli jews. the same infighting is going on right now between fatah and hamas in gaza and the west bank.

Archived