The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

4383654074_373072e581_o.jpg

4382895477_2f4e366314_o.jpg

yeah the last two are really nice with the colors just popping out. I think maybe they might need a crop and rotate to make them more square but that all depends on you. Either way very nice job!! If you built that then also a very nice job as well. Im building a wine cellar now but it will be a while before I can make some nice pics.

So, I've finally decided to go back to school. I'm currently looking at 4 schools: Harrington College of Design in Chicago, Colorado Mountain College, Hallmark in rural Mass, and New England School of Photography in Boston. Right now I'm leaning towards Harrington, a big part of that being that it's in Chicago and I was raised a Cubs fan and love the city.

Anyone heard/know anything about any of these schools reputations or anything of the sort?

You really think Boston is less cold than Chicago? I've never been to Beantown, so I have no idea. I just did a phone interview with Harrington and I've been conditionally accepted, so Chicago is where I'm leaning right now.

thats right near where i go to school thats on madison and wells of the brown line.there is a ton of shit to do in downtown and theres always something going on down there and theres also tons of things to eat down there also

yo, i wanna step up my game and get a better camera than your basic digital point and shoot and hopefully get a little more into photography. even tho i don't have my premium account anymore, i read through the thread about getting started for beginners, so i have a decent idea of what's up.

what kind of camera would be good for a relative noob like me? should I check out one of these "mega zoom" cameras i saw discussed in another thread. or should i get an slr? it seemed like a 50mm wide angle lense is your most general slr. what kind of price ranges are we talkin?

any ideas, suggestions, and/or help will be appreciated. thanks

New DSLR's would start at around $500-$600 for just a camera body and lenses run anywhere from $100-$5000. You can find some good deals on your local craigslist or on the net but make sure the person is trustworthy and thoroughly inspect it before you decide to buy it.

There are also some very nice point and shoot cameras for under $500. It all depends on your budget and how serious you think you will be about your photography.

^those are point and shoots. point and shoots are any that doesn't have the manual focus mode.

personally, i wouldn't recommend one of those 'half-way crook' point and clicks, if you think youll be serious enough to want something like that, might as well graduate to a dslr (try the nikon d3000 or whatever the latest canon rebel xti), or if you dont think those will serve you, get a niice boxy silver digi cam.

just my 2 cents.

yea, i agree. not much point in spending dough on a 'bridge' camera only to realize after a year a dslr is what i want and then proceed to spend more dough.

here's a few i found

is it worth trying to get an slr with an aperature <3.5? or is that really just for the pro's?

also, the cheaper cannon (2) and the nikon (3) seem pretty much the same, no?

thanks for the input. i think i'm going to focus on the slr packages (cam and lens)

yeah, as far as the difference between 1 and 2+3 goes, its just a question of if you anticipate wanting to print stuff out at 12x18 or whatever the 12 megapixel photo-quality dimensions are. if you don't plan on printing out your photos, then save your money. on the screen, all of those will look roughly the same if they have the same lens on them.

as far as trying to decide if you wanna just roll with the kit lenses or if you wanna upgrade, again, it depends on what you think youll be doing with it. this lens is 200 bucks, you could grab the 3000 body, skip the kit lens and have a prime 35mm 1.8. i know you get the kit discount, but the new kit lens (f3.5-5.6, 18-55 mm) goes for 200 alone, and i think the 35 mm 1.8 is way better. but the new kit lens has vibration reduction, which nikon claims is the equivalent to being able to go down 4 stops (im skeptical).

if i were you, i would go 35mm 1.8, but thats just me. if you do a lot of architectural photography or stuff that would make you want to open up to 18mm then think this through, but thats the only thing i could think of that would make you want the kit lens over the 35mm prime

Kit lenses are a waste of money IMO, glass never gets outdated or wears out like a camera body does.

If the low quality of a kit lens doesn't bother you, you might as well just cop a high end point and shoot.

Get something good now, not expensive, but good, that shit will last you forever most of the time.

I've got about $3000 in lenses now and my 50mm f1.8 is my favorite, and only cast $120.