The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

That orange cast or yellowish look to night shots is because that's how it actually looks.

Your eyes adjust to it naturally, so in person it seems like it's not that yellow, it's caused by the light source.

It's cheaper to cast a yellowish/orangish light from a light bulb than the full spectrum of white so thats what they use.

The worst part is yellow lights wave length is so narrow it makes things look softer or fuzzier.

White balance is how you fix that on a digi, it tells the sensor to record more of the blue and less yellow.

There are specific color temperature setting on nicer digi's but almost all digi's have the tungsten setting that looks like a light bulb graphic.

Also, editing can fix that if you shoot raw, just change the temperature toward the blue and away from the yellow.

It discards the warmer yellowish light and amplifies cooler colors.

2009_05_17_0116_34.jpg

2009_05_07_2137_81.jpg

2009_03_09_1715_02.jpg

If you notice, the areas with actual white light appear blue while everything else is "normal" looking.

Just amplifying a different wavelength to make these shots look like how you see them in person, not how they actually look.

The lowering of the soft yellowish light also makes them crisper.

• Like 2

If you notice, the areas with actual white light appear blue while everything else is "normal" looking.

Just amplifying a different wavelength to make these shots look like how you see them in person, not how they actually look.

The lowering of the soft yellowish light also makes them crisper.

wow, thanks so much for this tip. i didn't know this. i tried to give you props but it said i need to spread rep. i can't wait to go ahead and try this. thanks again!