1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

You Really May Be Addicted To Chocolate

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Weapon X, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

You Really May Be Addicted To Chocolate

Discussion started by Weapon X - Apr 22, 2004

Brain scans show changes similar to cocaine addicts, study finds

Reuters

WASHINGTON - People who say they are addicted to chocolate or pizza may not be exaggerating, U.S.-based scientists said on Tuesday.

A brain scan study of normal, hungry people showed their brains lit up when they saw and smelled their favorite foods in much the same way as the brains of cocaine addicts when they think about their next snort.

"Food presentation significantly increased metabolism in the whole brain (by 24 percent) and these changes were largest in superior temporal, anterior insula, and orbitofrontal cortices,” they wrote.

These areas are associated with addiction. For instance, the orbitofrontal cortex has been seen to activate in cocaine users when they think about the drug.

The study, published in the April issue of the journal NeuroImage, may support the argument that food advertising is helping drive the U.S. obesity epidemic.

“These results could explain the deleterious effects of constant exposure to food stimuli, such as advertising, candy machines, food channels, and food displays in stores,” Dr. Gene-Jack Wang of Brookhaven National Laboratory in Upton, New York, who led the study, said in a statement.

“The high sensitivity of this brain region to food stimuli, coupled with the huge number and variety of these stimuli in the environment, likely contributes to the epidemic of obesity in this country.”

An estimated 30 percent of Americans are obese, meaning they have a body mass index of more than 30. This ratio of height to weight usually works out to being about 30 pounds (14 kg) overweight for a woman and 35 to 40 pounds (16 to 18 kg) overweight for a man.

Wang and colleagues studied 12 men and women with an average age of 28. The volunteers fasted for just under a day and then underwent positron emission tomography, or PET scans, which measure brain metabolism.

They were asked to describe their favorite foods and how they like to eat them while they were presented with some of those foods.

“A cotton swab impregnated with the food was placed in their tongues so they could taste it,” the researchers wrote.

“The favorite food items most frequently selected by the subjects were bacon-egg-cheese sandwich, cinnamon bun, pizza, hamburger with cheese, fried chicken, lasagna, Bar-Be-Que rib, ice cream, brownie, and chocolate cake.”

Several leading addiction experts worked on the report including Dr. Nora Volkow, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

Weapon X - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  2. Swiffer Jet

Swiffer Jet 12oz Elite Member

Swiffer Jet - Replied Apr 22, 2004

nah, i just salivate a lot more when i smell/see good food when i'm hungry.

Swiffer Jet - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  3. Pinup

Pinup 12oz Senior Member

Pinup - Replied Apr 22, 2004

Bullshit.

Pinup - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  4. TheoHuxtable

TheoHuxtable 12oz Senior Member

TheoHuxtable - Replied Apr 22, 2004

http://www.ragtagfilm.com/archives/images/wonka.jpg'>

[img]http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~rosh/elec431/willy_wonka.gif'>

TheoHuxtable - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  5. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Apr 22, 2004

The Umpa Lumpa in the back row all the way to the right looks like the motherfucker from RoboCop:

[​IMG]

6. kido

kido 12oz Senior Member

kido - Replied Apr 22, 2004

I saw a program yesterday on the history channel about chocolate. From what I heard 90% of americans eat some kind of form of chocolate everday.

kido - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  7. CinchedWaist

CinchedWaist 12oz Elite Member

CinchedWaist - Replied Apr 22, 2004

mmmm, chocolate.:yum:

CinchedWaist - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  8. slave_one

slave_one 12oz Elite Member

slave_one - Replied Apr 22, 2004

so that explains why i have all these cavities:(

slave_one - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  9. ODS-1

ODS-1 12oz Elite Member

ODS-1 - Replied Apr 22, 2004

I had coco roos this morning, the generic coco puffs.

ODS-1 - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  10. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

Weapon X - Replied Apr 22, 2004

I am definitely a chocolate addict. I crave that shit sometimes. I’ll leave my house at 2 in the morning just to get a bar if I’m craving hard enough. The thing is, I’m not really into sweets that much.

Weapon X - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  11. Joker

Joker Dirty Dozen Crew

Joker - Replied Apr 22, 2004

Same here. Not much into sweets, but if it's chocolate... back the fuck up, son! I will kill over a Mr. Goodbar. You betta aks somebody...

Joker - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  12. WebsterUno

WebsterUno Guest

WebsterUno - Replied Apr 22, 2004

*believe*

chocolate is made from the cocoa plant, right? :idea:

13. sweetcherry

sweetcherry 12oz Senior Member

sweetcherry - Replied Apr 22, 2004

not addicted to chocolate but i am a VERY big bacon fan...hmmm bacon

sweetcherry - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  14. geezpot

geezpot 12oz Elite Member

geezpot - Replied Apr 22, 2004

"Hi I'm Geez and I'm addicted to chocolate" as I sit in the circle.

geezpot - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  15. Intangible

Intangible 12oz Legend

Intangible - Replied Apr 22, 2004

Intangible - Rank: 12oz Legend - Messages: