ICELAND

ScreenName42

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by SukiSukiNow

best thing about iceland? bjork. one day i would love to visit and see where she grew up.

I read the topic of the thread.... read the name of the person who replied.

And I knew what the response was going to contain.

Originally posted by PalestineOne

Iceland and Greenland are officially THE stupidest names for countries.

Obviously you do not know the history of either countries.

Iceland is partly a glacier. It is also very green due to it being a volcanic island (think Hawaii on that one.)

Greenland is a different story, which I won't go into depth. It was named that to attract Viking settlers way back in that age.

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller

Obviously you do not know the history of either countries.

Iceland is partly a glacier. It is also very green due to it being a volcanic island (think Hawaii on that one.)

Greenland is a different story, which I won't go into depth. It was named that to attract Viking settlers way back in that age.

If I remember correctly, I think my history teacher from like 7th or 8th grade said something like Iceland was actually the nice area with the warmer climate and Greenland had the harsher climate. Greenland is mostly glacier. I think you've got the two confused. Anyways he said that the name Greenland was given to the one with the harsher climate and topography to attract more settlers.

Guest imported_Europe

Wow, looks like alot of yall are cutting geography class to hang in Channel Zero...

Iceland is a very dope island. People there are super friindly and the girls are uber hot. Reykjavik (the metropol/capital) has an excellent clubbing scene and a blooming graffiti culture. Icelandic writers are fucking fun. Iceland has some of the most beautiful nature on earth, with hot springs and plenty of ice (wink wink). Icelands real name is Island, meaning Is=Ice , Land=Land. But it didnt fit with the english language to call it Island I guess.

Greenland is a danish colony, its the biggest island in the world, only continents are bigger. Denmark fucked over Greenland and the native eskimos kinda the same way as the americans fucked over the indians. Its a wast beautiful country, but all the cities are fighting alcoholism, unemployment, etc etc. The US has a very important military base there, in Thule, its a crucial part of their defense and loads of sketchy things go on there. I dont why the danish goverment lets them have it there, but its typical that we do everything the US goverments wants, Iraq being the latest mistake we help out with.

Greenland was named Greenland cause in the summer the shores are quiet green and it was discovered by danish vikings in the summertime where it was a little easier to sail around.

Originally posted by Europe

Wow, looks like alot of yall are cutting geography class to hang in Channel Zero...

Iceland is a very dope island. People there are super friindly and the girls are uber hot. Reykjavik (the metropol/capital) has an excellent clubbing scene and a blooming graffiti culture. Icelandic writers are fucking fun. Iceland has some of the most beautiful nature on earth, with hot springs and plenty of ice (wink wink). Icelands real name is Island, meaning Is=Ice , Land=Land. But it didnt fit with the english language to call it Island I guess.

Greenland is a danish colony, its the biggest island in the world, only continents are bigger. Denmark fucked over Greenland and the native eskimos kinda the same way as the americans fucked over the indians. Its a wast beautiful country, but all the cities are fighting alcoholism, unemployment, etc etc. The US has a very important military base there, in Thule, its a crucial part of their defense and loads of sketchy things go on there. I dont why the danish goverment lets them have it there, but its typical that we do everything the US goverments wants, Iraq being the latest mistake we help out with.

Greenland was named Greenland cause in the summer the shores are quiet green and it was discovered by danish vikings in the summertime where it was a little easier to sail around.

Thanks for the info. Greenland has always been a mystery to me. They're never on the news getting involved with current affairs and shit. :lol: It seems weird to live in a country where the majority of the country is an uninhabitable glacier that sits right in the middle.

We also have a military base in Iceland as well. As far as why these bases are here, my best guess is that, like most U.S. bases in Europe and elsewhere overseas, they were built during the Cold War following WWII to act as a deterrent to the spread of communism. The establishment of NATO was obviously a factor as well. It may be obsolete now, but back then Europe welcomed American power to deter any possible westward expansion of the Soviet Bloc.

I think America needs to get rid of the bases in Europe, Japan, and elsewhere because I don't think it's really needed. Europeans that oppose the bases will be happy and it will cost less tax dollars for America and won't leave our forces so thinned out. It's a win-win situation for both sides. If the Soviets or any other direct threat were to threaten Europe, I'm sure the Europeans will have no problems letting America come over to help them out. Until then, those bases aren't really even necessary.

Originally posted by TheoHuxtable

Thanks for the info. Greenland has always been a mystery to me. They're never on the news getting involved with current affairs and shit. :lol: It seems weird to live in a country where the majority of the country is an uninhabitable glacier that sits right in the middle.

We also have a military base in Iceland as well. As far as why these bases are here, my best guess is that, like most U.S. bases in Europe and elsewhere overseas, they were built during the Cold War following WWII to act as a deterrent to the spread of communism. The establishment of NATO was obviously a factor as well. It may be obsolete now, but back then Europe welcomed American power to deter any possible westward expansion of the Soviet Bloc.

I think America needs to get rid of the bases in Europe, Japan, and elsewhere because I don't think it's really needed. Europeans that oppose the bases will be happy and it will cost less tax dollars for America and won't leave our forces so thinned out. It's a win-win situation for both sides. If the Soviets or any other direct threat were to threaten Europe, I'm sure the Europeans will have no problems letting America come over to help them out. Until then, those bases aren't really even necessary.

They ARE talking about closing the bases in western Europe, but they are also talking about moving them to EASTERN EUROPE! Hello to Serbia... maybe even Chechnya. But that may be considered just a russian problem. Oh boy. What a great time to be in the military.

TT: greenland is virtually the same as northern canada. i guess the danes just held on to the giant island long enough for it to not be canadian. (ie, when the vikings landed in canada but got chased out by natives and didnt rule it) the people are the same, have the same social problems, just probably speak danish, europe, do greenlanders use kroners? or does it have its own currency? also, are there any real danes living in greenland? or just inuit?

iceland is supposed to be beautiful, the people seem friendly. isnt it one of the most isolated populations where genes can be traced back hundreds of years? and all genes are somehow recorded by sicentists? that and some small french colonies belonging to canada a bit further south than iceland? my grandmama is from the land of ice, ill go ask her.

Originally posted by Europe

its the biggest island in the world, only continents are bigger.

Actually, Australia is the biggest island in the world...it's not a continent as as the english claimed the entire land mass as one country

Originally posted by villain

They ARE talking about closing the bases in western Europe, but they are also talking about moving them to EASTERN EUROPE! Hello to Serbia... maybe even Chechnya. But that may be considered just a russian problem. Oh boy. What a great time to be in the military.

Eastern Europe? Well, recently several eastern European nations were added to NATO (many which were former Soviet Bloc nations), and that probably has something to do with it. I heard nothing about them putting US bases in east Europe, but that's just a guess.

But it seems unrealistic to have a base in Chechnya. That's technically Russia, and it's an unstable region to begin with. I read about how Russian soldiers are currently bogged down there, far worse than the US in Iraq and are losing like 40 soldiers a day.

Guest imported_Europe
Originally posted by WhiteOx

Actually, Australia is the biggest island in the world...it's not a continent as as the english claimed the entire land mass as one country

Whatever dude, who the fuck cares about what the english classified it as?

Guest imported_Europe
Originally posted by ink Lunatic

TT: greenland is virtually the same as northern canada. i guess the danes just held on to the giant island long enough for it to not be canadian. (ie, when the vikings landed in canada but got chased out by natives and didnt rule it) the people are the same, have the same social problems, just probably speak danish, europe, do greenlanders use kroners? or does it have its own currency? also, are there any real danes living in greenland? or just inuit?

They have kroner like the rest of Denmark. The royal family visits Greenland alot and upholds the monarchy.

"Real" danes live there, trying to get the modern society's system to work.

Archived