Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Chicago...where are you???

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by Devilush, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Devilush

Devilush 12oz Legend

okay so i grew up in chicago all my life, until i moved here. so i go back to chicago for a christmas vacation...what the heck happened to the graf scene out there? there is absolutely nothing. either i went into the wrong neighborhoods or mayor daly is really cutting graf down. i noticed one AOM simple under train tracks, the next day it was buffed. so clue me in cuz i am planning another trip out there, but this time i am gonna bring some friends ;). plus, are there any hip hop stores that i can possibly talk to in selling my zine? i already had spoken to one hip hop store that is willing to sell it but they arent so prominent. i woudl really hate to say this but i was so hyped in seeing some graf out there and i was dissappointed in not seeing any.

2. GrImeY

GrImeY Junior Member

Chicago got bufffed. I lived there when I was younger before and there was alot of graff and people were getting up but a few months ago I was there visisting relatives and I saw some graff but not like it used to be the amount of buffed spots I saw was crazy. Went bombing with a couple friends and withiin a week it was buffed. the buff is sick there.

3. fr8oholic

fr8oholic Veteran Member

there's a ferocious buff out there. they don't need property owners consent to take graff out. i've heard tunnels and trainlines are gone inside a week or two.

4. wutangbanger

wutangbanger Member

werd.. out side of chicago to like the cicero and north river side there was a razek bomb i think near north river side and it got buffed like the next day so peace 1:mad: fuck daily on real

5. mosluggo

mosluggo Elite Member

Daley has really taken over. A lot of writers pretty much fell off. I guess they don't think it's worth it. With the risk of getting caught and putting an hour into something to have it buffed in 2 days, it's not. I lived in SF the past 2 years and theres no comparison. 90% of the walls out there didn't get buffed the whole time I was there. I wouldn't say Chicago graffiti is dead. It definately is at turning point and if the right writers come along and a new mayor it could change. The few writers I do know switched to freights because theres so many yards and your shit won't get slammed.

6. Devilush

Devilush 12oz Legend

so what happened to MUL? i know that they were pretty prominent out there for a long while. gosh that really does suck about chicago though. i didnt expect so much of a hard hand on graf out there since it isnt like new york or even sf. it was practically a culture shock to see that. in sf, you would not pass up a newspaper stqand without seeing a tag on it. but in chicago, almost everything is so damn clean. it made me so upset to see that. plus with all the spots i have seen. no wonder people are not taking any risks, and i dont blame them.

7. ET one

ET one Junior Member

yea,the buff is terrible here,but it seems 2 me that only the nice lookin graff gets buffed quicker than the wack shit that "toys" put up,giving chicago a bad name 4 graff 4 ppl visiting only a while.

yea,you can try this hip-hop store"The Tip".Its located 6317 n. Ridge.tele-1(773)761-9870.they sell,underground hip-hop,some mainstream,underground videos and graff supplies.pretty dope store,check it out.

8. Devilush

Devilush 12oz Legend

oh werd!! thanks. i really do appreciate the help that i can get. it's just so sad to me not to see anything going down in that city. it has its influencial writers let me tell you that. i was supposed to go to this one skate shop owned by this one chick that used to write. but i couldnt find it so now i have to do more research on that.

9. ~KRYLON2~

~KRYLON2~ 12oz Loyalist

daly is gonna die.....he buffed the AM KORL roller......all my bombs...and fills in the last day....and the roller has been there befor i started doing graff......and it was kinda a motivator because i'd know i made it as soon as could do shit like that..........damn....i say we designate a day where all the chicago graffers go out an wreck shit.....fuk that should be everyday.....there's more graffers in chicago than there are buffers so lets take over the city....

FUCK DALY

10. ~KRYLON2~

~KRYLON2~ 12oz Loyalist

that skate shop mite be called UPRISE its on division and they let you tag on the walls

11. ET one

ET one Junior Member

real true lol,we should

12. wutangbanger

wutangbanger Member

dope! i`m going to the tip soon

13. wutangbanger

wutangbanger Member

thats mad GReat SOn where u at in the city north side ?

14. Jam On It

Jam On It New Jack

the chicago whiteout

I enjoyed 3 summer months in chi-rock. great pizza and a good mix of down to earth people but hardly the graffiti scene I anticipated. On the other hand, there were lots of chill layups and some yards.othe than that caught one highway spot , some mpowr rooftops, and a newa wall.

15. DankLordz

DankLordz Senior Member

i was in chicago for a week.. i saw a bunch of FACT tags, a ton of character roof tops when riding the subway that i had no clue who did them.. some wierd stickers by jackson i think? there wasnt much at all.. sorta bummed me out.