Chicago...where are you???

Devilush

okay so i grew up in chicago all my life, until i moved here. so i go back to chicago for a christmas vacation...what the heck happened to the graf scene out there? there is absolutely nothing. either i went into the wrong neighborhoods or mayor daly is really cutting graf down. i noticed one AOM simple under train tracks, the next day it was buffed. so clue me in cuz i am planning another trip out there, but this time i am gonna bring some friends ;). plus, are there any hip hop stores that i can possibly talk to in selling my zine? i already had spoken to one hip hop store that is willing to sell it but they arent so prominent. i woudl really hate to say this but i was so hyped in seeing some graf out there and i was dissappointed in not seeing any.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Chicago got bufffed. I lived there when I was younger before and there was alot of graff and people were getting up but a few months ago I was there visisting relatives and I saw some graff but not like it used to be the amount of buffed spots I saw was crazy. Went bombing with a couple friends and withiin a week it was buffed. the buff is sick there.

Daley has really taken over. A lot of writers pretty much fell off. I guess they don't think it's worth it. With the risk of getting caught and putting an hour into something to have it buffed in 2 days, it's not. I lived in SF the past 2 years and theres no comparison. 90% of the walls out there didn't get buffed the whole time I was there. I wouldn't say Chicago graffiti is dead. It definately is at turning point and if the right writers come along and a new mayor it could change. The few writers I do know switched to freights because theres so many yards and your shit won't get slammed.

so what happened to MUL? i know that they were pretty prominent out there for a long while. gosh that really does suck about chicago though. i didnt expect so much of a hard hand on graf out there since it isnt like new york or even sf. it was practically a culture shock to see that. in sf, you would not pass up a newspaper stqand without seeing a tag on it. but in chicago, almost everything is so damn clean. it made me so upset to see that. plus with all the spots i have seen. no wonder people are not taking any risks, and i dont blame them.

yea,the buff is terrible here,but it seems 2 me that only the nice lookin graff gets buffed quicker than the wack shit that "toys" put up,giving chicago a bad name 4 graff 4 ppl visiting only a while.

Originally posted by Devilush

so i go plus, are there any hip hop stores that i can possibly talk to in selling my zine?

yea,you can try this hip-hop store"The Tip".Its located 6317 n. Ridge.tele-1(773)761-9870.they sell,underground hip-hop,some mainstream,underground videos and graff supplies.pretty dope store,check it out.

oh werd!! thanks. i really do appreciate the help that i can get. it's just so sad to me not to see anything going down in that city. it has its influencial writers let me tell you that. i was supposed to go to this one skate shop owned by this one chick that used to write. but i couldnt find it so now i have to do more research on that.

daly is gonna die.....he buffed the AM KORL roller......all my bombs...and fills in the last day....and the roller has been there befor i started doing graff......and it was kinda a motivator because i'd know i made it as soon as could do shit like that..........damn....i say we designate a day where all the chicago graffers go out an wreck shit.....fuk that should be everyday.....there's more graffers in chicago than there are buffers so lets take over the city....

FUCK DALY

Originally posted by ~KRYLON2~

daly is gonna die.....he buffed the AM KORL roller......all my bombs...and fills in the last day....and the roller has been there befor i started doing graff......and it was kinda a motivator because i'd know i made it as soon as could do shit like that..........damn....i say we designate a day where all the chicago graffers go out an wreck shit.....fuk that should be everyday.....there's more graffers in chicago than there are buffers so lets take over the city....

FUCK DALY

thats mad GReat SOn where u at in the city north side ?

the chicago whiteout

I enjoyed 3 summer months in chi-rock. great pizza and a good mix of down to earth people but hardly the graffiti scene I anticipated. On the other hand, there were lots of chill layups and some yards.othe than that caught one highway spot , some mpowr rooftops, and a newa wall.

fact is pretty big on the northside but if you come 2 chicago 4 the graff scene,alot of the dope shit is on the southside or ride the redline,theres been alot of new shit up and if your in the right spots,you might see some of the war vs.cab battle.its been comin along pretty nice.

I was in Chicago on Saturday night at the Fireside Bowl, and didn't see much at all in that area. I wish I could've gotten around. I did get to eat 2 great vegetarian meals at The Chicago Vegetarian Diner and Soul Vegetarian. Caught a Grime and Bles scribe too...wooo hooooooo.

Chicago is too damn cold.

Welcome to Chicago....where things are not as they seem. Yeah Daley is a ducsh bag who has a buff squad that is probably the best and most funded in the nation. What can I say, the man knows how to run the city. There are a lot of dope writers here in the city, and most still paint. It seems it's all about the flicks and finding that spot that will ride, which is possible, I still have two street spots that are reaching the two year mark. You hated visiting here and not seeing graf, how do you think we feel. Shorty's are coming up and not knowing the history of Chicago graf cause they think last month is the history. Fuck Daley, cant wait till he dies like his fat fuck dad did. Graf will always be alive in Chicago, maybe not as strong as it use to be.

I miss riding the train in 94 and seeing the dope shit, 3XD, J4F, TMS, RGS, TDS, CMW, UAC, CAB, FAT, ASC, THC, Sivel, Diego, Digs, Sips, Skol, Rome, Pose, Fonzo, Porkchop, those Bean Characters, Trane, Kev, Page, Antck, and the burners. There actually use to be produstions on the lines that rode for years till the buff came through. I know there are countless others, but I'm slowly forgetting. Fuck Daley

Chicag is Hidin!

Chicago is pretty much on lock because of Daley. Daley hates graff wit a pasion. Nothing last longer then a day. Ifyour a lucky one and you shit rides longer then a week take that as a suprise. Sometimes shits buffed in less thn 5 hours. Alot of chill spots get buffed quick now a days. Some shits even watched by cops. We got mad writers in chicago, mad skills, and alot of potential, but as long as daleys in control, don't get ur hopes up. Southside of chicago, shit pimps alittle longer. Hes moving slowly to that side, so all southsiders should snap before the yuppies move in. The city got sued by a compay who spent mad mone on a permission wall which got buffed. Most of the writer, just want that flick, and nothing else matters. but theres a few writers now that are still rocken. One day, will have shit on lock, someone will have to murder that fool, so shit can be fun.

Guest serpent of the light

thats shitty. i havent been to chicago in a few years, but i remember when i lived there when i was 10 rolling through chicago and always thinking that graf stuff was sooo neato! looking back some of that was the best i've ever seen, and shit i wish i could pull. tis sad to hear its gone.

Originally posted by Anyone

I miss riding the train in 94 and seeing the dope shit, 3XD, J4F, TMS, RGS, TDS, CMW, UAC, CAB, FAT, ASC, THC, Sivel, Diego, Digs, Sips, Skol, Rome, Pose, Fonzo, Porkchop, those Bean Characters, Trane, Kev, Page, Antck, and the burners. There actually use to be produstions on the lines that rode for years till the buff came through. I know there are countless others, but I'm slowly forgetting. Fuck Daley

see! now that i what i remember about chicago. i used to go to the art insitute out there when i was in high school and i wasnt familiar with graf at all. but i do remember seeing that up all the time. thats why i was prolly hyped in coming back because now i have opened my eyes to graf and i would be familiar with chicago graf since ihave followed it through the years. is AOM a big crew out there? they seem pretty dope. well from that one simple that i saw. fuck daley. i remember when he was so oblivious to graf and you had to go to special spots to take a good look at graf. but the old man has finally caught on. too fucking bad because chicago has mad talented writers.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

I doubt dude at the Tip will want to sellf your mag, no offense but I have been going there since it opened and bought madd shit and he still doesn't aknowledge me as anything more than a customer who's it's their first time in there.....Please believe there is still LOTS of people putting in work, but you just don't see itb efore it catches the buff. If you ride further north on the redline you will catch quite a bit of shit by ISK crew...they are smashing shit....

Archived