Raising Cattle - Meat Coolers, processing and butchering.

misteraven

Hey,

Any chance we have any commercial butchers here? Or perhaps anyone specialized in refrigeration, particularly commercial refrigeration?

Had to skip raising cattle this year, but very much hoping to start in on it next spring. Was looking for information on semi professional setups for managing large carcasses, as well as info on the best refrigeration setup for dry aging, etc. 

Any chance any Oontzers recommendations on here have experience?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I have a good friend who I get my exotic glizzies from that has a game processing business that ships meat all over the US. Almost every time I talk to him he is freezing his ass off in his refrigerators.  I could ask him if you have any specific questions.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LUGR said:

I have a good friend who I get my exotic glizzies from that has a game processing business that ships meat all over the US. Almost every time I talk to him he is freezing his ass off in his refrigerators.  I could ask him if you have any specific questions.

Maybe just ask a brand or site as a good starting place for a cooler / freezer. Unsure on size, but considering 8x14’. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, misteraven said:

Maybe just ask a brand or site as a good starting place for a cooler / freezer. Unsure on size, but considering 8x14’. 

I sent them a text. I’ll let you know what I hear back.

@misteraven Lugrs buddy is probabaly going to be the best bet.  But to include this is a from someone trying to answer your question the best they can after asking your location. 

"He really needs to find a good meat processor that takes live animals. Will be a USDA facility. They will probably be best to understand moving large carcasses and aging processes.

Humidity and temperature are everything when is comes to dry aging."

4 hours ago, ndv said:

@misteraven Lugrs buddy is probabaly going to be the best bet.  But to include this is a from someone trying to answer your question the best they can after asking your location. 

"He really needs to find a good meat processor that takes live animals. Will be a USDA facility. They will probably be best to understand moving large carcasses and aging processes.

Humidity and temperature are everything when is comes to dry aging."

I have a good processor locally but want to learn how to do it myself since we’ll be raising cows. I know it’s a skill that has to be learned but I’m willing to try. Trying to not have to depend on anyone else and the $0.90 - $1.25 a pound to process that we save ads up when you have a carcass that weighs almost 2000 lbs. 

• Truth 1

1 hour ago, misteraven said:

I have a good processor locally but want to learn how to do it myself since we’ll be raising cows. I know it’s a skill that has to be learned but I’m willing to try. Trying to not have to depend on anyone else and the $0.90 - $1.25 a pound to process that we save ads up when you have a carcass that weighs almost 2000 lbs. 

Let me forward this to my contact.  

See what he comes up with.   I may be able to reach out to someone else who owns cattle as I believe they also have a processing company as well. 

Hang tight. 

• Like 1

Talked to my friend and he built his out of block, with poured concrete floor with drain, then insulated and installed refrigeration equipment with local contractor. He said there are aluminum “kits” you can also get. He recommended taking a look at these links. That’s all I got…..he was in the middle of some paperwork so it was a pretty quick conversation. Hope that helps a bit.

https://www.gamevaultproducts.com

https://www.storeitcold.com

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dark_Knight said:

Those are smokies. I had to order 15lb minimum of them. 209lbs of beef total. Mostly steak cuts. Ground beef. I got the whole liver too. 

mad respect for your lifestyle choices braddah

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

• 3 weeks later...

Alright guys, going to update this from time to time to document this journey. Some big changes happened last week that is making it very likely that I'll be getting into this sometime next spring. So I figured it might be fun for those of you interested to follow along. Likewise, I figure I'll use this to sort of organize thoughts, jot down notes and maybe get some advice if anyone qualified happens along. Maybe I'll even inspire any of those of you that have a little land to try it yourselves. I know there's at least a couple of you on a similar tip as seen in the Off Grid thread and the hiking / camping thread which are surprisingly popular actually. 

Not to violate rules and get political, but whichever side of the aisle you stand on, and especially if you - like me, see all of it as an absolute shit show, I think its easy to understand how perhaps preparing yourself to be a little more insulated from the world at large and lesson dependency on other people, systems and whatever else - might be a very wise thing to do. Personally, I see it as a hedge... Hopefully shit turns around and starts to heal and we all come together in some sort of rainbow filled utopia. In that case, you still get the opportunity to have a really cool experience, while eating well and over time, saving money. After all, saving and investing is intended to be the method by which you assure yourself and family eat well once you are no longer working, so the way I see it, this kind of cuts out the middle man. That said, if it goes the other way, which it seems pretty destined to go, then you will have a lot more options and peace of mind knowing that regardless of the world hell bent on burning down around you, you will still eat well. There's also a sustainability angle here that rarely gets talked about as well.

Anyhow, it's an original topic for a message board that has discussed just about every subject over the last 25+ years.

So with the above being said, my goal is to raise a few head of cattle on my land come Spring 2025. I'm focusing on two breeds: Angus and Wagyu. Both are considered pretty premium and though Wagyu grown in the USA will never compare to the high ranked original from Japan, the genetics are still pretty pure and it's still considered about the best you can get in the USA, though a lot of people still like or prefer the taste of Angus beef. That said, they can also be cross bred and with time, you get the best of both genetics. My thought is to start with at least one cow / calf pair and hopefully a second pregnant cow. Though I do plan to breed, I'll hold off on a bull until needed and even then might move towards artificial insemination instead of traditional breeding since from where I sit now, doesn't seem worth carrying the cost of feeding a bull on a tiny herd let alone the cost of buying an Angus or Wagyu bull with decent genetics.

Plan is to rotationally graze them for as much as possible and hopefully over winter using bales I pull out of my field. I'm undecided if I'll grain finish since so far, I've seen very limited info on that subject in regards to extreme high quality beef from those two breeds and its also super important for me to do it as natural and properly as possible, rather than just mature and slaughter as quickly as possible.

Here's a couple links I've collected on the subject so far...

https://www.livestockmarket.com/listings/wagyu-cattle-for-sale/?Animal=171001&BreedCattle=Wagyu

https://www.ranchworldads.com/index.php?cat_id=315

https://wagyu.org

https://thewagyusuper.com

Also, found the cattle ranching version of 12oz... https://www.cattletoday.com/

• Like 1
  • Props 1

• misteraven changed the title to Raising Cattle - Meat Coolers, processing and butchering.