Kellogg to permanently replace striking workers as union rejects new contract

KILZ FILLZ

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/kellogg-permanently-replace-striking-workers-union-rejects-new-contract-2021-12-07/

Dec 7 (Reuters) - Kellogg Co (K.N) said on Tuesday a majority of its U.S. cereal plant workers have voted against a new five-year contract, forcing it to hire permanent replacements as employees extend a strike that started more than two months ago.

Temporary replacements have already been working at its cereal plants in Michigan, Nebraska, Pennsylvania and Tennessee where 1,400 union members went on strike on Oct. 5 as their contracts expired and talks over payment and benefits stalled.

"While certainly not the result we had hoped for, we must take the necessary steps to ensure business continuity," Kellogg said in a statement.

The company said "unrealistic expectations" created by the union meant none of its six offers, including the last one that proposed wage increases and allowed all transitional employees with four or more years of service to move to legacy positions, came to fruition.

Union members have said the proposed two-tier system, in which transitional employees get lesser pay and benefits compared to longer tenured workers would take power away from union by removing the cap on how many lower tier employees it could have.

"They have made a 'clear path' - but while it is clear - it is too long and not fair to many," Jeffrey Jens, a union member, said.

Several politicians including Democratic senators Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren have voiced their support for the union, while many customers have said they are boycotting Kellogg's products.

Kellogg is one of the several major U.S. firms that has faced worker strikes in the recent past as the labor market tightens. The company has also warned of a hit to profit from the strike, but was yet to quantify it.

Last month, farm equipment maker Deere & Co (DE.N) reached an agreement with striking workers. read more

if you wish to boycott, here is a list of their brands:

https://www.kelloggcompany.com/en_US/brandportfolio.html

shouldn’t be too hard unless you have kids in the house. I bet a lot of us don’t buy these products anyway. 

• Props 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I was a 15 year member of Local Union #3 (NYC chapter of I.B.E.W.) up until recently. Seen a lot of Union action in NYC where we basically ran everything worth running, every big job. Hard to believe but actually started out a super pro-union democrat lefty myself up until 2015 when I started studying Austrian economic related audiobooks, ironically while at work.

The last non-union shop I was in before I got in did this same exact thing, it's actually very common. Strikes are an "all or nothing" game of chicken. Years before I worked there, during a strike, the shop just decided to close negotiations. It had put the managers in the field temporarily to hold over, and hired in as many non-union scabs as possible. The supply of scabs was near limitless. After everyone on strike figured out it was over, half of them dropped the union and went back there to work themselves and I knew a few of these people.

In the end, I see the same thing happening here at Kellog's. As long as there is still a demand for their goods out there, and there are people locally that consider a job there their best option, they will be able to continue at a somewhat lesser capacity temporarily before trudging on. There will for sure be people who cross the picket line, and scab back in during the next few months if the headline of this thread is true.

I'd actually be happier if they stopped existing as a company permanently but for different reasons. Eating a bite of Kellog's is like micro-dosing industrial poisons. Anyone who's eating that processed shit probably isn't going to change their eating habits over labor issues that don't directly effect themselves, and continue to slowly poison themselves to death. I fully endorse boycotting them, but mostly for this reason.

• 2 weeks later...

union called their bluff. 

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/11-week-kelloggs-strike-end-after-multi-year-agreement-reached/25R67UQLN5FKDEKUQHDLZDWS2E/

The 11-week strike at Kellogg’s has come to an end after workers approved a contract with the company.

The Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers’ International Union president Anthony Shelton said the contract makes gains for the 1,400 union workers and has no concessions.

The five-year agreement has wage increases and cost-of-living adjustments the first year, in addition to the expansion of health care and retirement, the Post reported.

• Like 2
  • Props 1

That's wild.  If it were my company, I would have stuck to my guns and if the "local area" workers decided they wanted to stop doing my plumbing and electricity work out of spite (paying jobs I might point out) then I would pick up my business and move to a place where people enjoy working for what they have rather than demanding pay on contract jobs.

I think unions are stupid and I don't care about the "benefits" they provide.

I've got benefits without being in a union.  If your life requires benefits and your profession doesn't provide them, then it's time to take personal responsibility and go out to get what you need.  It's an opportunity for self improvement.

This union trash seems like a bunch of whiners that want to get paid to not work.  I saw how union workers worked on aircraft at Lockheed Martin when I was employed there.  Fat lazy tards.

13 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

then I would pick up my business and move to a place where people enjoy working for what they have rather than demanding pay on contract jobs.

That a boy, ship the jobs overseas instead of treating your countrymen fairly, like a true Capitalist. 

America First, unless we gotta pay them, then Company First, and fuck Americans. 

• Truth 1

Reducing the cost of goods and services consumed domestically helps more people overall. Especially in this case, where a factory is producing the type of poor quality food that poor people tend to consume. The monopoly that's created by protectionism is just taking money (unfairly) from one group of poor people, and giving to another.

It's much less beneficial in the big picture to force the majority in any market, to pay monopoly pricing on goods & services, even if it  can benefit a small minority workers in that market.

If you're artificially creating a monopoly, you might as well just tax every poor person that eats that garbage directly, and fork the money over directly to the Corporation that can now charge monopoly pricing because of their unfair advantage. Government schooling worked, and has produced economically illiterate voters in both major parties that think protectionist policy is "helping" Americans.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, abrasivesaint said:

That a boy, ship the jobs overseas instead of treating your countrymen fairly, like a true Capitalist. 

America First, unless we gotta pay them, then Company First, and fuck Americans. 

fuck China. You're kind of a moron if you think I care about anyone else except patriotic Americans. 

if you're one of these progressive America freedom haters I know you're a faggot. 

7 hours ago, abrasivesaint said:

you obviously do not understand how cucked you are up In Boston. Same kind of cucking as ny nj and ca. I wouldn't own or run a business in any of those freedom hating states. 

Not sure how you assumed this meant move to another country. I just don't agree with unions at all. 

is this more if you're not stating your own position but attempting yo erroneously discredit mine. 

Good game. You're confused. 

Edited by Dirty_habiT

17 hours ago, Mercer said:

Reducing the cost of goods and services consumed domestically helps more people overall. Especially in this case, where a factory is producing the type of poor quality food that poor people tend to consume. The monopoly that's created by protectionism is just taking money (unfairly) from one group of poor people, and giving to another.

It's much less beneficial in the big picture to force the majority in any market, to pay monopoly pricing on goods & services, even if it  can benefit a small minority workers in that market.

If you're artificially creating a monopoly, you might as well just tax every poor person that eats that garbage directly, and fork the money over directly to the Corporation that can now charge monopoly pricing because of their unfair advantage. Government schooling worked, and has produced economically illiterate voters in both major parties that think protectionist policy is "helping" Americans.

Poor people buy the cheaper store brand. 

17 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

is this more if you're not stating your own position but attempting yo erroneously discredit mine. 

Good game. You're confused.

I’m not confused about anything. I think my positions are pretty evident. I believe in better rights for the workers who are the backbone of these companies.

Y’all just seem like you’re getting real bent out of shape lately because i’m challenging you to think about what you’re saying instead of simply falling in line wherever your adopted political ideology tells you to. You can’t attack a specific checked political box when you come at me so you start name calling, telling me i don't understand, ect, ect, whatever, whatever..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, abrasivesaint said:

I beg to differ. Poor people aren't that concerned with making sound financial decisions (obviously).

You'll never find a Kellogg's product in a high end grocery, but the Pop Tarts™ rack is always booming in a project bodega. 

• Truth 1

6 hours ago, abrasivesaint said:

racist against poor people. Wow. So people that don't make a lot of income don't have high standards. I get it. 

this is like how the left said black peoples couldn't get drivers licenses lol. No no that wasn't racist to say that. Lol. 

you should just admit you're a hardcore leftist. Stop trying to pretend like you're some run it up the middle government hating centrist. You love handouts and you may have very likely been using them heavily since your wreck. 

I think it is you that buys store brand. I know I do. Some of the things my local store makes are much higher quality than the bigger chain brands can offer. 

pew pew. Shot all kinds of holes in your dumb argument. Next. 

i urge you guys to look into kelloggs' financial reports from this year before having sympathy for them and then shitting on people who recognize yet another round of cynical corporate belt-tightening and stand up against it.

will they outsource to mexico? probably! like tons of other businesses that couldn't care less about americans. 

On 12/23/2021 at 9:37 AM, Dirty_habiT said:

racist against poor people. Wow. So people that don't make a lot of income don't have high standards. I get it. 

1.) It’s classist to discriminate against people of different incomes, not racist. 

2.) i never said that

this is like how the left said black peoples couldn't get drivers licenses lol. No no that wasn't racist to say that. Lol. 

I honestly have no idea what this is about. 

you should just admit you're a hardcore leftist. Stop trying to pretend like you're some run it up the middle government hating centrist. You love handouts and you may have very likely been using them heavily since your wreck. 

1.) How am i pretending i’m a centrist? How many times do i have to tell you that i subscribe to no political ideology or theory before you get it? 

I like ideas, and concepts. I have no interest in slapping a label on myself because you’re uncomfortable with it. Mark me down on your white board in the leftists column if it makes you feel better. In the Presidential elections that i’ve voted in, i voted for Libertarian candidates, by the way. 

2.) Suck my whole ass about living off of handouts, haha. I’ve worked and made money since i was 10 years old and legally since i was 14. I’ve always paid my own way, and make my own money.

I think it is you that buys store brand.

Names mean nothing to me. I like what i like and buy it accordingly based on nutritional value, financial value, and taste. But ya, my parents often bought store brand shit when i was growing up, because it saved them money they didn’t have, no matter how small the savings were.  

So to swing back around to accusation of “racist” comments, i made that statement (half jokingly by the way because y’all are increasingly ridiculous) from my own experiences and people i knew.

pew pew, or whatever. 

On 12/23/2021 at 9:07 AM, Mercer said:

I beg to differ. Poor people aren't that concerned with making sound financial decisions (obviously).

No qualms with this racist (classist) statement though @Dirty_habiT?

I also beg to differ. I know many people who grew up poor and decided they didn’t want to continue the cycle. They worked hard, saved money, made some better choices, and got out of their environments.

13 hours ago, abrasivesaint said:

racist

I'm not asserting poor financial decisions correlate with race, I'm asserting they correlate with financial status. By bringing race into it, you're the one implying it.

13 hours ago, abrasivesaint said:

classist

Granted, denying that financial literacy correlates with financial status is punching upward, but it's still a classist statement by definition.

Worse yet, it's factually incorrect.

12 hours ago, abrasivesaint said:

and got out of their environments.

Proves my point.

33 minutes ago, Dark_Knight said:

It’s a different kind set growing up poor. You don’t think long term because you adapt to just surviving. You can always tell when someone never experienced the survival way of life that comes with being poor when you pretend it’s simple to just change your ways and get out of it.

People think it's hard to quit smoking, until they do it. Then they realize it takes much more effort to continue buying, and smoking cigarettes than it does to actually quit. Is it "hard" to quit smoking? No. It's just statistically unlikely because you're only human. People also think they have to live check to check, or spend every penny they make before the next check comes in. Some are able to overcome this default mindset, and ascend upward economically. After they do, they realize they didn't succeed because of genetics, or luck. They succeeded by accepting one of life's harsh realities, and being real about it.

The only effort it takes to become financially independent, is not buying lame shit that you don't need anyway. Minimal effort. With just few keystrokes, and mouse clicks, one can also now invest those savings. I've actually given it a try myself, and it was literally that fucking simple. I can't deny that from the outside, especially to someone who's never done it themselves it appears to be difficult, but it's not.

Financial responsibility doesn't correlate with class, or race. I know people that grew up in stable, financially sound homes, that make huge salaries and still live check to check well into their 40's. I also know people that grew up in public housing, that are extremely successful, and financially literate enough to save, and invest. Guess which type won't be greeting people entering Home Depot when they're too old to contribute anything else instead of enjoying their retirement.

Only the realest human beings have the ability to step outside of their emotional safe zones, truly take a look at themselves, and consider these uncomfortable truths.  It is in fact a very painful realization that if we can't learn how to make money while we sleep, we will work until we die. Wage slaves, or even worse, dependent on the generosity of others. This shit is cold, and hard, but ideology aside this is 100% a fact.

I'm not offended, but I'd be happier arguing against a logic/fact based argument that was countering mine, instead of a childish insult. Relying on emotionally based insults to bolster your false economic perspective?  Embarrassing. Even worse is the fact that you both are in fact an economically privileged white people, with a "not my fault, or responsibility" mindset regarding your own financial reality. Many people on this board actually know me IRL, and can vouch for the fact I'm 100% about what I'm saying on here, and not some fake person on here for trolling purposes. Unlike yourself, I actually did grew up an economically disadvantaged minority. I legit spent the majority of my teen years either incarcerated, or as a ward of the state. This might be hard to believe because half you pussies are street struck, and think poverty is cool or some shit. Not me.

Sort of like a mental disinfectant, these uncomfortable economic truths I'm sharing do sting a little, but I'm not trying to cause pain. No need to get defensive and claim my mindset is a sign I "never needed to scrape by to barely survive" lol. That's just your own ego weakness, justifying the unbelievably low bar you've set for yourself in life. A certain type of defensive denial of reality rides in with those emotions, telling you obvious lies, like social mobility does not exist. "He must never have had to struggle" lol. Or in @abrasivesaint's case, with his own false assumption that you need a special genes, or cultural upbringing to learn how to save, and invest, and that asserting otherwise is somehow racist. People that embrace this toxic, self defeating mindset in life will are doomed to wage slave until the day they die, or even worse,  go through life  depending  on other people's generosity. A self fulfilling prophecy, an a toxic mindset, removing any meaning from our relatively short time alive on this planet.

I think you get overly emotional… you lived in nyc. You made poor choices as a kid that brought you into a poor spot. Growing up somewhere like nyc isn’t what growing up in truly impoverished cities is like. I did not have it easy and I don’t brag about that as some argue point but I can tell you haven’t because of the way you act like it’s so easy to over come. It isn’t. There are so many variables involved that get in the way of “why don’t you just invest?” Like I said. Survival mode. Yeah people break through just like middle class breaks through to the upper class. But it’s rare bc it is designed to be difficult. Facts of it all.

Again. Not here to insult you as you are so adamantly prone to doing whenever someone challenges the flaws of your beliefs.  

Not saying you didn’t have any struggles growing up. Everyone does. But just saying the way you make it seem like it’s just so simple is not true. 

Edited by Dark_Knight
  • Truth 1

On 12/21/2021 at 2:00 PM, Dirty_habiT said:

I've got benefits without being in a union.  If your life requires benefits and your profession doesn't provide them, then it's time to take personal responsibility and go out to get what you need.  It's an opportunity for self improvement.

real wild to only see healthcare coverage as cushy, unnecessary "benefits" that someone's life "requires" when you mostly need healthcare not to die at 35 or go into medical bankruptcy. i dunno man. it's good that you can see a doctor. 

Edited by Elena Delle Donne
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dark_Knight said:

I think you get overly emotional… you lived in nyc. You made poor choices as a kid that brought you into a poor spot. Growing up somewhere like nyc isn’t what growing up in truly impoverished cities is like. I did not have it easy and I don’t brag about that as some argue point but I can tell you haven’t because of the way you act like it’s so easy to over come. It isn’t. There are so many variables involved that get in the way of “why don’t you just invest?” Like I said. Survival mode. Yeah people break through just like middle class breaks through to the upper class. But it’s rare bc it is designed to be difficult. Facts of it all.

Again. Not here to insult you as you are so adamantly prone to doing whenever someone challenges the flaws of your beliefs.  

Not saying you didn’t have any struggles growing up. Everyone does. But just saying the way you make it seem like it’s just so simple is not true. 

What part of "save, and invest" isn't super duty simple, or hard to understand?

Granted, self responsibility, determination, and keeping it 100% with yourself at all times isn't easy, but that shit is only difficult emotionally. The saving and investing part is, in fact, an extremely simple concept anyone with a basic understanding of English can easily wrap their minds around.

It's the same concept as ingesting fewer calories than you're burning to lose weight. Fat people might not get it, not because they're bad at math, but because they're in denial. Somehow other people lose weight every day and they can't explain it.

I'd love to see anyone explaining why saving, and investing is complicated. That almost olympic level of mental gymnastics is always amusing, but not a single anti-capitalist to date has been able to pull the right combination of moves together to erase what the rest of us consider basic reality, although many have, and still try to. Honestly, If anti-individualists, anti-capitalists put that much effort into actually improving their own financial situations, we'd all own vacation homes in the Asteroids by now.