2nd ammendment being justified by 2020 candidates

KILZ FILLZ

14 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I think if you shoot a gun and see that it's actually a skilled activity that costs money to do.... you'll have a different respect for it and probably less fear of them.  Not only can I show you what shooting some guns is all about, but I can show you what legendary Texas bbq is like.

I love me some BBQ, but to get back on topic...

@misteraventold me the same thing recently, and I absolutely appreciated it. I'm not anti-gun, guns just kind of freak me out. Maybe it's where/when I grew up (DC area in the 70s/80s) and the shit I saw, as well as some personal stuff, but I'm really uneasy around guns and I'm having a hard time shaking it, and it's that uneasiness that makes me feel like I shouldn't have a gun in my house. I don't think everyone needs to own a gun to defend themselves... only because I feel some people should not own a gun, period. I think responsible gun owners who genuinely understand the tool they own, and the responsibility that comes along with it, are good people and deserve respect. I don't think any responsible gun owner would deny that some people shouldn't own guns, but as Raven pointed out - it's not up to them to weed these people out.

Raven explained the importance (especially in today's climate) that I need something to defend myself, and my family, if needed. And that if I spent some time with him learning about guns, shooting them in a safe environment with a skilled shooter, I'd see the value and understand the responsibility... and hopefully overcome my fears. Honestly, I totally agree with that but as I typed out that last sentence I could feel myself tense up. LOL! That said... I look forward to the day I can take him up on his offer, hopefully sooner than later. 

Regarding knives - I have been wanting to get a pocket knife for so goddamn long but I know nothing about them other than I like them. I owned one for about a year and loved it - it was a hand-me-down and like a dick I clipped it in my pocket on the way to the airport... and you can figure out the rest. I've seen knives online that I love (that looks cool, oooo... that one is made with carbon fiber, hey I like the pattern on that one, etc) but I've yet to make a purchase because I don't know if I'm buying a "lifestyle" knife that'll last a week or a quality knife. Any thoughts around good brands of pocket knives would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

@Joker- I completely understand what you're saying and how you feel about guns and, now that you've described it, why you feel the way you do.  I would compare this to sky diving.  I have never sky dived.... I don't think I really want to.  Plenty of people do it and love it, but to me it's a risk for me to trust a parachute and the people that rigged up my equipment, and the pilot, and the mechanics that worked on the plane to make sure it was fit for flight.  I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that if I actually did it about 5 times I'd have a different comfort level with it, but given that I know it's dangerous, I would respect it as such still.  That definitely applies to guns, it's probably one of the tools that you should most respect out side of any kind of heavy machinery/equipment that can easily kill you or make you lose a limb.... or hurt someone else.

I think with a little bit of shooting, you'll get over your apprehension about guns.  You, actually, would be probably one of the best people that could own a gun because you have a healthy fear of them.  It's like the electrician that is deathly afraid of being shocked, yet he works around electricity all day.  He's going to be extremely careful as he is doing his job because he is very aware of the danger.  People that have a respect for weapons don't tend to use them for evil purposes.  With great power comes great responsibility.

As far as Knives are concerned, I'll tell you brand and model of the 3 that I keep on my bookshelf.  I'll skip the links so that we don't "share" any data with amazon.

Ruike P801 - this is my newest knife.  It is incredibly sharp, not serrated.... works great for cutting tape on boxes.  Yes, I could use a box cutter, but I like using my pocket knife.

Ruike P128-SF - this knife was given to me by a friend as a gift.  It has a VERY interesting locking mechanism on it.... most knifes have a locking mechanism on them to either keep them shut, or to let them stay open without folding.... for maximum stabbing action.  This knife actually has a slide lock on it, that prevents you from using the spring tension lock that is normally on knives.  So, you can lock the lock on this knife and keep it from being accidentally closed.  The only reason I can think of that this is a good idea is so that you can tie it to the end of a stick and use it as a spear if you're in a "tough situation".  Really can't think of any reason, if anyone knows please tell me.

Kershaw Leek (discontinued Rainbow color) - this is probably one of my favorite knives.  I don't carry it often because it's a discontinued color and I have other work horse knives I use daily.  The Leek is still made, it's really popular, and it's not expensive.  None of the knives I've listed are expensive.

I don't know enough about them to comment, but I know the type of steel the blade is made out of is important to how long it will hold a sharp edge.

edit: I want to add the fact that when I was a kid, I knew my dad had guns, I knew my grandpa had guns.... they were accessible to me.... but I NEVER fucked with them because I knew it was something that I would be in deep doo doo for messing with without supervision.  This was taught to me, and I think this is also why it's so important to educate young people about guns.  Not to make them comfortable with them, but to make them aware of the power they have.  It helped me respect life more knowing that there is something that can easily take it away when carelessness, negligence, or irresponsibility was involved.  Those three things are kind of lost on today's kids I feel like, and it'd be good if more people were teaching young people these things at an early age.  They're concepts that can carry you all the way through life IMO.

• Like 1

Its natural for anything out of the normal to merit a second look and something thats been stigmatized as much as guns by media, coupled with the portrayal via Hollywood... I don't blame people for having that reaction. Being entirely honest, and think I've said this before, it was also jarring for me going from my life in NYC to hanging out in Wyoming and seeing people going about their business - pumping gas or grocery shopping with a pistol on their hip. When I first moved to where I am now, I had several moment of double take when I saw a dude hop out of his truck on the side of the road holding a rifle, put on a blaze orange hat or vest and trek off into the woods.

Now it's all just normal. Even interesting when you see a young, pretty girl at the farmers market or ag supply with a pistol on her hip. For those that have been to a gun range, you can attest to how overly polite people typically are... That's basically what my entire town is like. Something I haven't seen mentioned is the inherent sense of responsibility that comes with it. People that are confident in themselves don't generally have the need to over compensate for themselves. When you have a gun on you, you really do think twice about every move you make, whether it's realizing you can't always walk into places with it or how you respond / react to the people around you. It honestly becomes second nature and not a "thing", but like wearing a wedding ring at a bar, it becomes a constant reminder to the personal accountability it comes with.

And yes, going to the range or other controlled environment with someone you trust and feel secure with to try out a few guns. From my experience having taken out a bunch of people, basically all walked away with an entirely different outlook it.

As @Mercercan speak to, I'm more than happy to take people out and let them gain as much experience as they feel comfortable with. If anyone happens to be out my way, @Joker! , I'd be more than happy to show you the sights and take you shooting if you're interested.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

6 minutes ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I would compare this to sky diving.  I have never sky dived.... I don't think I really want to.

I would love to sky dive. I'd love to run one of those squirrel suits. Just started talking to a person that holds the world record for longest wing suit flight and wondering how I can talk my way into it (as well as afford that hobby).

• Props 1

Dude, it's like one of the most dangerous things you could do.  I don't think I'll ever sky dive because I'm way too much of a control freak.  I don't even like flying on commercial jets because i didn't personally do the pre-flight checks and I don't know what kind of person is the pilot.  I  KNOW this is an unrealistic fear too.  I like flying in a Cessna 172 with my friend that has a license..... and that's definitely way less safe than a commercial jet.... but to me it's ok because I do the pre-flight check with him and I know what kind of person he is.

If you ever do the wing suit, please take video, I think it looks very fun, but it's something I don't think I'd trust..... especially not after seeing the wingsuit vs. bridge guy.  Just heart breaking really.

• Like 1

As much as I support the freedom to own guns, I honestly don't own any myself. That's not to say I never will, it's just right now, in NYC I don't think it's practical (legal) for me to own one. That's not to say sometimes I wish my wife had one on her, and was an expert with it.  I've owned a compact .380 semi auto, along with a 38 caliber "Saturday night special" snub nosed revolver, both obtained illegally in my teenage days.

With that said, as an adult I've make it a point to hit a shooting range every once in a while and just rent one of the range handguns while I'm there. I think it's already been said before but you'd be shocked at how polite people are at he range, when it's assumed everyone is packing. Possibly one of the nicest, most civil environments you can be in for some reason lol. You can multiply that vibe by 10x if they find out you're new, or inexperienced. People will bend over backwards, and go out of their way to help you out, nobody want to see you leave with any dissatisfaction.

With that said, my experience with guns is minimal, and until a month or two ago I haven't shot a rifle since I was a teen. Recently visited Raven in Montana and it's like the entire state is a shooting range lol. I mean that in a good way, people were exceptionally friendly, and polite, and everyone was packing. Where Raven lived, it wasn't uncommon to find wild wolves, mountain lions, grizzly bears etc. roaming about. You could hear the wolves at night, and there were bear prints on his trashcan. You'd be foolish to be outside around dusk/dawn when predators were on the prowl without some sort of backup plan on your hip.

Raven and I went shooting one night at his friends house. My first time really being exposed to AR's, or shooting any rifle for years. Raven and his friend both do formal weapons training courses privately with some pretty high level people. So it was like getting to shoot hoops for the first time getting pointers from Pippen/Jordan. Raven's homie who's place we went to actually trains spec ops dogs for a living that end up working in armed forces, law enforcement, and approved people that can afford to drop 6 figures on a war ready dog. We set up iron targets on his property near the dog's training course and had a blast (pun intended).

Anyway surreal experience, wish I had more ammo and time to shoot for sure. I not only walked away with more knowledge, I walked away appreciating freely being able to do that. I think if more people were exposed to actually shooting first, they wouldn't have such a negative view of the people who do enjoy shooting, and support 2A. If I left NYC I'd most likely take some courses myself, probably own an "assault weapon" or two, possibly even get a concealed carry permit.

Had to delete/edit out used @misteraven's government name, plus add a pic:

835184234_2019-10-2318_27.31-blurred.jpg.edac345ad06cf575f86a474111056578.jpg

Seriously so much fun, very challenging with so many things to work on, and improve. I can really see myself getting into it one day, possibly doing some formal training myself. Kind of expensive but most good/worthwhile hobbies are that way.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

• 3 years later...