Mercer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
2 minutes ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

No one could blame any of em.

Iraq had WMDs, right?

edit- imagine BEING Colin Powell telling that blatant lie to the UN ... smdh

I've had conversations, both public and private with Jim Clapper, who was head of geospatial intel at the time and then became DNI, about his role in the assessments leading up to 2003 and he genuinely feels like shit about it. He says he had no idea that everyone was getting their info from one guy (screwball/chalabi) and as soon as he worked that out he knew they were fucked. He's also on record saying that it didn't matter what intel the White House was given at the time, they'd already made their mind up anyway.

I know people that worked with Doug Feith, who headed up the parallel assessment org in Defense when the WH weren't getting the intel they wanted. I'm told he's a bit broken now as he spend a lot of his time trying to work out how he fucked it up so bad. Jacque Chirac summed it up for me when he said that the Americans were getting drunk on their own intel.

2 hours ago, Hua Guofang said:

Aren't opioids natural pain relievers too?

(I know that's not the point of the meme)

No opioids do not stop pain. They're a bandaid fix for pain by blocking receptors. They do NOTHING for inflammation and can actually allow you to further injure yourself if you continue using whatever is injured while the pain is blocked. They're a bullshit solution to the problem. 

• Like 2
  • Truth 1

12 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

Think about tobacco farming..... there are all kinds of "government" hands in that money which is why we will never see smoking go away despite KNOWING it fucks people up.

No doubt that there are similarities in every other kind of farming.

Even without the involvement of a corrupt (AKA all) government, as long as you're not exposing me, or mines to smoke on my property, or in shared public spaces, you should be able to smoke whatever the fuck you want IMO. I hate tobacco taxes, alcohol, marijuana taxes etc. If people want to smoke/drink that's 100% their decision, and another reason single payer healthcare is a bad idea and divisive.

I'd don't like the super resentful feeling I get looking a fat people, like here I am staying in shape, eating healthy etc. and this fat fuck is driving up my taxes/insurance costs for lack of self control. I shouldn't even care, that's 100% their business, and I prefer just minding my own. It's a practical excuse to hate the people I should be wanting the best for, my fellow citizens.

31 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I'd don't like the super resentful feeling I get looking a fat people, like here I am staying in shape, eating healthy etc. and this fat fuck is driving up my taxes/insurance costs for lack of self control. I shouldn't even care, that's 100% their business, and I prefer just minding my own. It's a practical excuse to hate the people I should be wanting the best for, my fellow citizens.

That's exactly how I feel when people make a "hobby" out of drinking all the time, pickling their liver.

And smoking..... and vaping.

My favorite stupid thing people say about this is, "we're all going to die of something."  Ok, well when you're dying in the hospital 40 years before the average life expectancy, not able to do what you want to do, being pumped full of chemicals, with breathing tubes in your nose, in constant pain, while someone else foots the bill because you cannot afford it..... welp smoking was totally worth it.  Same with what happens during kidney failure or liver failure.

I don't agree with the "you can do whatever you want as long as you're not bothering me."  I don't want to live next to meth cooks or people that do any kind of hard drug.  I don't wish to regulate people using government, I just would like for the government to wash our hands of these vices that are dragging us down as a society.  Just think, no more DUI fatalities, no more smoking caused lung cancer or emphysema.  The amount of money spent on these things is usually more than the person that afflicted themselves can afford and SOMEONE has to pay the bill.

It's also a sign of being bad with your money.  When you don't own anything, and complain about minimum wage, and the cost of living, etc etc etc.... the last thing I want to see is you smoking a cigarette or drinking cheap piss water beer while saying so.  It's contention with yourself and not with the government not raising the minimum wage or "making housing cheaper" for you.  You could afford more if you were not, quite literally, pissing money away or exhaling it as gray smoke.

Of course, I'm not directing this at you or anyone else, but I just don't think that these things are good for our society.  I could get behind the medicinal effects of marijuana, but not tobacco and not alcohol..... and I don't even smoke or otherwise consume weed anymore.  I just recognize the benefit, and there is zero medicinal benefit of alcohol or tobacco yet they're the most abused substances probably on the planet.

I don't hate anyone that chooses what they do, I just think our greedy government/industries like money so much that they don't care how it affects others.  I bet there are a ton of people reaping the benefit of huge tobacco/alcohol industry payouts and they don't drink or smoke themselves.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

1 hour ago, Dirty_habiT said:

That's exactly how I feel when people make a "hobby" out of drinking all the time, pickling their liver.

And smoking..... and vaping.

My favorite stupid thing people say about this is, "we're all going to die of something."  Ok, well when you're dying in the hospital 40 years before the average life expectancy, not able to do what you want to do, being pumped full of chemicals, with breathing tubes in your nose, in constant pain, while someone else foots the bill because you cannot afford it..... welp smoking was totally worth it.  Same with what happens during kidney failure or liver failure.

My grandfather drank and smoke from the age of 13 until he was in his 70s, he died at 91. He outlived every single one of his siblings, and the vast majority of his friends. People are built different.

Some people never smoke and get lung cancer. Some never drink and drive and roll their car over because they wren't paying attention. Not saying smoking and drinking doesn't increase risks, but there are plenty of variables in the world to increase your chances of death without alcohol and tobacco.

Who else is paying the bill because you can't afford it? Pretty vague statement.

1 hour ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I don't agree with the "you can do whatever you want as long as you're not bothering me."  I don't want to live next to meth cooks or people that do any kind of hard drug.  I don't wish to regulate people using government, I just would like for the government to wash our hands of these vices that are dragging us down as a society.  Just think, no more DUI fatalities, no more smoking caused lung cancer or emphysema.  The amount of money spent on these things is usually more than the person that afflicted themselves can afford and SOMEONE has to pay the bill.

There's plenty of things dragging us down as a society that isn't tobacco and alcohol. Of course alcohol and tobacco can be abused and result in negative consequences. So can food, guns, cars, Nyquil, water.. 

@Dirty_habiTI feel you, I'm just so anti government I always see the benefits of deregulation as outweighing the negative aspects of freedom every time, with zero exceptions. Like with the drug thing, I say knock yourself out if that's your thing. I know plenty of "responsible" coke heads for example, why infringe on their rights. Then again, I'm not here to stop the people who can't handle it either, if the weak are culled from the herd a little more then so be it. If they end up abusing their kids, or violating my rights, the culling process gets accelerated. Same thing with gambling, smoking, booze, you name it. Most of us can handle it just fine, and the harm done by all the regulation, kids getting caught up in the criminal justice system for doing what we all did over it outweighs the small benefit of all that criminalization/regulation if there actually are any benefits from all that. Personally I don't see any benefit.

As far as meth cooks, and the safety issues that brings up for entire neighborhoods it's a non issue. If it were legal to cook, and sell/distribute meth, it wouldn't be happening in peoples homes like it is now because a home cook could never compete with the price/quality/quantity of a lab. Same reason nobody is making aspirin or other legal pharmaceuticals in the trailer park now. As far a selling it goes, if it's not being taxed to death by a nanny state like how they do legal pot, you also wouldn't be buying it from someone's home either. Also, DUI's are a blip in history between hopping on your horse after a night at the tavern, and hopping into your self driving car after leaving the bar. Sort of a non issue moving forward and the technology is availiable now, it's more an issue with the legal framework needing to catch up. I remember going through a phase in my early 20's where I'd end up riding around with drunk drivers almost every weekend and having a great time. With that said, I'd never do it now, along with a lot of the stupid shit I did back then.

Me personally, the only thing that I feel like may be looked at as irresponsible health wise is my continued affinity for semi dangerous sports like skateboarding, snowboarding, and MMA.  I've never broke a bone yet or been hospitalized for any reason at over 40 years old now, other than having a high fever once when i was a kid and my parents freaked out and took me to the emergency room. I think a lot of that is genetics, and just plain luck in general though, so I have no foundation to take a holier than thou stance when it comes to anything really. I mean I've exposed myself to xylene and other solvents rarely wearing a mask/gloves back when I painted graffiti, and all the fist fights I've been in. Fist fights are prone to easily going wrong, so is skateboarding with no helmet, horseback riding, snowboarding in the back country, etc. So yea, I definitely do look at a smokes, and lard asses and judge a little, but at the same time there's people more in shape than me who haven't done any of the risky behavior that could probably judge me. So I try not to judge out loud, or prevent it from me being friends with someone I actually like because that lot seems to get smaller and smaller the older I get.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, abrasivesaint said:

Who else is paying the bill because you can't afford it? Pretty vague statement.

Your heath insurance company, and every one of the customers using it. Cancer usually costs a half a million dollars minimum per patient, and I believe obesity costs even more (collectively). So unless you're self insured, or willing to euthanize yourself once it catches up to you, you're fucking everyone else over by smoking.

Edited by Mercer
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1

Just now, Mercer said:

Your heath insurance company, and every one of the customers using it. Cancer usually costs a half a million dollars minimum per patient, and I believe obesity costs even more. So unless you're self insured, or willing to euthanize yourself once it catches up to you, you're fucking everyone else over by smoking.

Fair, but so isn't everyone working in a high risk job, no?

Just now, Mercer said:

High risk jobs are a necessity, smoking isn't.

Also fair. But if the argument is smoking increases costs of insurances due to medical costs, and dhabz argument is smoking should be removed from society due to these un-payable medical bills and degradation of society wouldn't it be a better argument that obesity is a incredibly large problem with a higher death toll and causes higher rates in insurance due to higher costs in medical bills therefore shitty food should be removed from society as well?

Obesity rates have risen through the decades yet lung cancer deaths related to smoking are falling (roughly 154,000 in 2018, 143,000 in 2019, and estimated 138,000 in 2020 according to the American Cancer Society.) I rounded up.