Technological Singularity

Important

This concept of the future is alien to most people right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity

i suggest listening to the whole thing. mckenna helped me get a grasp of what the singularity would be like more than anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLCsEnbi2oM

man was talking about the singularity before most. dont ignore.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Why the word singularity? Technological singularity is semantically incorrect for the theories they are describing,

that was my first clue this was going to be "deep thinking" fodder for college stoners.

I gave it a chance but still couldn't take more than 5 minutes of that.

• Like 1

the word singularity works well for describing this idea in my mind. i dont know what you mean about it being semantically incorrect regarding these theories. the way i'm thinking is that the singularity is sort of a culmination of events. i think time travel could be a result of this. the most accurate description of time travel i have heard is like this, if time travel was invented, you would only be able to travel back in time to the point when it was invented. no further, since you could not go to a time where time travel did not exist. comprehending the idea this way it follows that time travel would be like a jump to a higher dimension. like an instant snap over to the other side. i imagine it like we crack the universe.

I guess I'm confused since most of what they described had nothing to do with reaching a threshold in technology where it can advance on it's own.

I didn't hear anything original/different about how this process would lead to advances and finally create a unified theory allowing time travel but it has it's own catch phrase.

It did hear a lot of stuff aimed at explaining to stoned college kids we should reintroduce shaman into our lives, apparently an integral part of advancement.

I guess this is what separates discussions on "Technological Singularity" from normal discussions of reaching AI thresholds.

Maybe if I have put bong graphics in my youtube video people will take my own concept of vaginal singularity more seriously.

(vagina so advanced it causes an endless orgasm in every place place/time requiring weegie boards to help us deal with this advance)

One day my friends, one day.

i think if we hit an ai threshold where learning is self perpetuated by the machines, time travel would be an instant result. i cant ignore my intuition. people talk about reintroducing shamanism into society, i think because they feel like the experience induced by psychoactive chemicals is in some way like a microcosm of what the singularity will be like.

do you know what the actual meaning of the apocalypse is?

An Apocalypse (Greek: ἀποκάλυψις apokálypsis; "lifting of the veil" or "revelation") is a disclosure of something hidden from the majority of mankind in an era dominated by falsehood and misconception, i.e. the veil to be lifted.

this definition fits along perfectly with what, in my mind, a higher dimensional leap would be like.

If you look at where we were in 1950 with computers the size of an entire floor of a building (and sometimes multiple floors) to holding hand sized 1.2 ghz computers (smart phones) you can see that technology is advancing exponentially. Every year we make a larger leap forward

taking us one step closer to ?????

I think we have already reached a type of technological singularity. The very edge, maybe.

this goes along with the technology addicted thread... but i honestly believe we created our own enemy with the rapid advancement of technology.

We have been top of the food chain with no real enemies besides ourselves for so long, and now we have something thats smarter, faster, and has more potential than we do.

We have all become slaves to technology...just as we have mad animals ours. (cows, pigs, horses, you get it.)

Technology is using us to advance itself into something we will eventually not be able to grasp.

The worst part is the is no way of stopping it now.

The human race is done evolving.

Within our lifetimes there will be changes that will out due anything our world has ever seen.

We evolve every day, though. Our minds are constantly evolving. That's the cool thing about being human.

Scientists now report that our brains are actually shrinking in size, but this is because the real shit goes down in the folds of our brains. That's where the masses of neurons reside. Neat shit.

it is mostly the accelerating nature of technology and information exchange that is concerning me. the idea is that a paradigm shift will take place. i think metaphor is really the best way to get the picture across.

MCKENNA WARNING. in seriousness though i think he uses a great metaphor here. child birth. skip to like 2 mins in

i also think this is a great metaphor

as material bodies, we may be in tune with some kind of invisible frequency around us. if this frequency was changed, we would be forced to reassemble into a form of higher complexity. what we would experience before reaching this higher complexity is a breif state of chaos. as a global society we are seeing more and more signs of control structures falling apart. moments of chaos are occurring more and more often around the globe. when i look at 9/11, i see a clear example of how something is going to have to change drastically. look how much is happening in the wake. look how much people are spreading information. it feels like technology is heading us toward something like pure connectedness. read about what it would be like to experience the 4th,5th, and 6th dimension. if technology fused all of our minds together that would literally be the higher dimensions. the most correct theory of time travel also fits this description, as does our concept of the apocalypse; ie all secrets being revealed or the veil to be lifted. this is spooky stuff.

There is no way any computer we've created yet that can come close to human intelligence.

We've perfected calculators but when it comes to creativity and actual intelligence they fail by comparison.

I understand the concepts you guys are speaking about but I don't think you understand just how linear a computers "thought process" is and the extent of their current limitations.

I don't have the exact language to explain it but what I'm trying to say is we have many distinct advantages millions of times over computers intellectually.

There is no way any computer we've created yet that can come close to human intelligence.

We've perfected calculators but when it comes to creativity and actual intelligence they fail by comparison.

I understand the concepts you guys are speaking about but I don't think you understand just how linear a computers "thought process" is and the extent of their current limitations.

I don't have the exact language to explain it but what I'm trying to say is we have many distinct advantages millions of times over computers intellectually.

The current think is that quantum computers may solve this.

what i was trying to say was that we are destroying ourselves through our own creation. own creation. not that computers are an intelligent life form.

did you listen to this? 2:45 in

i dont think technology is destroying us. its not a death that we're experiencing it is a rebirth or a transition. we are definitely seeing evidence that we are heading to a higher state of emergency. things are just going to snowball from here.

time travel is possible in theory, but how likely are we to invent technology any where near the complexity of what it would take to harness an amount of energy that doesn't even exist on this planet, or manipulate anti-gravity..

i'm not saying it isn't possible, but i mean....come on

time travel is possible in theory, but how likely are we to invent technology any where near the complexity of what it would take to harness an amount of energy that doesn't even exist on this planet, or manipulate anti-gravity..

i'm not saying it isn't possible, but i mean....come on

How do you know it takes that much energy? That is also theoretical.

Why the word singularity? Technological singularity is semantically incorrect for the theories they are describing,

that was my first clue this was going to be "deep thinking" fodder for college stoners.

I gave it a chance but still couldn't take more than 5 minutes of that.

be that as it may, im stoned... and in college as we speak.

still, by 2045 our artificial intelligence will surpass human beings collective intelligence, leading to recursive self improvement, and bigger brains.... i guess idk

again, stoned

first, consider computers to be non-linear, capable of making decisions based on importance and a matrices full of variables

its already happening.