High FIVE.

griffin your face

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by seeking innocence

i dont always care for dudes letters, but his dedication more than makes up for it. graff doesnt have to be pretty if its got the heart of an elephant.. five has the heart of a whole herd of packaderms.

this is true...but some times i question "heart" with: nothing else going on in ones life so one will bomb alot due to lack of responsibility and not caring.. when one has a family or resides in the uper tax bracket its harder to find time to "keep it real" yet this same person can poses heart

i think 98% of this dudes shit is busted but i can appeciate his placement and balls...but i question his heart, not dedication

Guest STONEY BROOK

I CANT FRONT ON YA MILLZ

HE DOES GET BUSY ..

BUT THEM BUBBLES HE BEEN DOING IN NYC DONT ROCK IN MY OPINION...BUT WITH WHAT I SEE HERE...THE KID DOES GET UGLY WITH THE PEICES ...HE GETS A 6 IN MY RATE BOOK AND I GOT A THIN BOOK

Originally posted by IHATEU

this is true...but some times i question "heart" with: nothing else going on in ones life so one will bomb alot due to lack of responsibility and not caring.. when one has a family or resides in the uper tax bracket its harder to find time to "keep it real" yet this same person can poses heart

i think 98% of this dudes shit is busted but i can appeciate his placement and balls...but i question his heart, not dedication

you can look at it like that, or you can look at it as him giving up all the rest of that shit so he can paint. thats all he does. he travels from city to city, crushing each one as he goes along. no one is claiming that to 'keep it real' you have to paint 10 times a week. its all relative. and if talent is somehow a reflection of heart, one can easily say that many of your friends lack as much heart as five. the beauty of graffiti is that it doesnt have to be pretty. skuf isnt pretty, but he has heart. its all personal opinion and we both know in the end it doesnt amount to a hill of beans. bottom line is at the end of the day, he lived it to the fullest and in my book, thats heart. to each his own.

i'm not the biggest fan, but how is this ugly?it's nice for what it is.and it seems he puts in work so why even hate?i just don't understand some of these politics.graffiti seems nothing but shit talking to me sometimes.and as far as ironman...you seem ignorant.you're basicly saying his shit's ugly because he doesn't have a nyc style.for god's sake, graffiti has been spread throughout the globe for a couple of decades now.i'm glad not everyone looks the fucking same.let graffiti be whatever you as an individual want it to be.graffiti shouldn't be a elitist group of ny wildstyle fanatics like you.who cares, just do your own thing.

I FEEL LIKE ARGUING ALITTLE SO ILL REPLY, I NEVER SAID IT HAD TO LOOK NYC ISH TO BE DOPE, BY ALL MEANS THERES FRESH WRITERS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD. ALSO, I THINK SOME OF YOU THOUGHT I WAS RAGGIN ON SKERTS TAGS, I THNK THERE FRESH, BUT IT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS A MANHATTEN STYLE TO IT, DONT GET ME WRONG , I THINK HIS STUFF IS AIGHT.

I ALSO THINK IHATEU HAS SOME REALLY GOOD POINTERS.

AND I THINK SKUF SHIT IS GOOD LOOKIN, HIS HANDSTYLE ALONE IS ONE OF THE BEST ACTIVE WRITERS HANDS IN NYC RIGHT NOW.

AND THE OPINIONS OF THE ONES WHO ARE STANDING UP FOR FIVE, I WOULD BET ALL OF YOU DO NOT LIVE IN NY. IM NOT SAYING WERE BETTER, THATS A WHOL EOTHER ARGUMENT, BUT NEW YORKERS SEEING SHIT FOR YEARS ON TOP OF YEARS JUST STR8 UP CRACK ON THIS GUY. IM NOT TRYIN TO HERB THIS GUY OR MAKE HIM SEEM LIKE HES WACK, IM JUST SAYIN I DONT LIKE TO SEE YOU SHEEPLE HANG ON HIS NUTSACK CUZ HES UP IN SCRIBBLE MAG AND 7 PEOPLE IN A ROW LIKED HIS SHIT SO THE EIGTH PERSON SAYS HE LIKES IT TOO CUZ EVERYONE ELSE IS ON HIS DICK. BECAUSE FOR THE MOST PART OF THIS GRAFF GAME OPINIONS ARE MADE THIS WAY, ACCEPT IT OR NOT, ALOT OF PEOPLE ONLY LIKE SOMETHING BECAUSE THERE BOYS SAY ITS COOL, AND THEY CANT MAKE UP THEIR MIND ON THEIR OWN. YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT I SAY BUT IT IS LIKE THAT.

IM NOT UNTRAINED IN MY OPINIONS TRUST ME, I AM A STYLE FINATIC, I LOOK INTO PEOPLE WORK FROM ONE COAST TO THE OTHER, INSIDE AND OUT, I LOVE TO LOOK AT THE ANGLES ETC IN SOMEONES PIECE, AND THINK ABOUT WHAT THEY WERE THINKIN AND ALL THAT. BUT YO, THIS GUY GETS TOO MUCH CREDIT, NUFF SAID. HES STR8- UP DOO DOO .

I APPOLOGISE FOR MY BLUNTNESS

AND HIGH 5 IS A DIFFERENT WRITERS

posted before but still a Jem.

taken from www.scribblemagazine.com

<span style='color:darkred'>Graffiti seems to be a touchy subject these days when it comes to the politics of it. what does graffiti mean? is it still graffiti if it is done legally or is it only true graffiti if it is done illegally? does a graffiti artist partake in both actions or does he stand strong on strictly illegal graffiti? will the ever-growing popularity of legal graffiti bring the demise of the artform? does it not reach a point where it is no longer graffiti but simply another form of art? should a writer be allowed to say that they are only in it for the legal walls? does this statement in itself not show contradiction? paradox? irony? can a writer become acertain age when it is legit to say that one can not afford to get in trouble, due to family, jobs, etc.-where exactly is the line drawn? is it possible to become one with graffiti, to be a walking, bombing replica of what graffiti means . . . what exactly would it take and how would you know if it were so? the above photos are part of one writer's six month tour that may have accomplished this deed. For these six months, FIVE. has traveled from the midwest to the west coast back over to the east coast, leaving behind an abundance of markings in and on many parts of our feeble society. these days he always seems to be on the move, even when he is back in his hometown. occasionally we get to meet up totalk about what he has been up to over some coffee; well, at least he drinks it i can't even stand the smell of it. last time we met he gave me 9 disposable kodak cameras, which documents the last six months of his life. after developing them I was overwhelmed from how much he actually sees on a daily basis. me, i sit in my office staring at a computer screen asking myself one simple question, "should my experiences rise above that of the norm and follow a life such as five." a hard question to answer . . . in one sense, FIVE lives and breathes graffiti, and that in itself has to be the one of the greatest feelings that life could offer. living on the road, on top of rooftops, occasionally renting a random apartment to settle for a few months, just long enough to collect himself until he can't stand to sit still and is pushed on by a greater force that lies within himself. writing on everything and anything that he sees fit on a daily basis. back to my question: do I rise above, or do Ienjoy the stability of having a home to go to, or a job that in reality holds me down to a routine that often becomes tedious and only occasionally catching atag, which in comparison to FIVE's life work seems to be less than adequate. have i myself slowed down because of my own beliefs? my one concern that seems to be the determining factor is that I truly believe that graffiti is simply meant to be done illegally. So then, how can I myself continue to paint with this belief in the back of my mind, while others such as FIVE are out there experiencing life at it's fullest and most fresh? Or, and I would love to convince myself of this, does it take both of us to make this equation work? he puts in his work on the streets, whereas I secretly spread the disease by being a businessman, providing this magazine that just might inspire as many people to write graffitin as any tag or piece done by somebody like FIVE out on the streets. When a passion exists, such as the one writers have, it comes loaded with risk and satisfaction... is graffiti a one way road and getting up the ultimate goal? Or are there different steps that can be taken that essentially reach the same goal? no matter what the answer is, I give thanks to writers such as FIVE from the bottom of my heart for the inspiration given freely to millions of onlookers, and for reminding us on a daily basis that there is much more out there than our beloved AMERICAN DREAM. do not be fooled . . . graffiti is much more than a simple tag or piece, one must have a true understanding and love for the acts that graffitirenders upon us, no matter how you answer the question.</span>

FIVE ALIVE!

IF you like "glamorous" styles... five is not

your man! --- but being from cincinnati, I've

seen all his shit, from the begining... and he

started out doing clean-ass peices, with

3-D tricks and clean gradations. Somewhere along

the way he decided to "be original" or different from every other writer and just get raw and gritty about it! He can do "traditional" styles but chooses not too. -- The reason he gets jocked is that he is like an invisble floating monkey. He puts his shit in crazy ass spots, that nobody would have thought of getting to. and the quantity is impressive. Also his dedication is unparallelled, He's been arrested, locked down, on the run, out on bail, on probation, in jail, locked down somemore, and yet he still keeps going! Graff is basically his life. Out of the 8 or so years I've known him he has basically been a homeless graffiti outlaw for at least 7 of them, always crashing in one spot just long enough to get over and leave. I can see where people that would see flicks of his stuff, would think he is unskilled, due to the rawness, but it's because they don't know the story behind the man. If you want to see his older "clean" style, look for photos of the original Scribble Jam circus wall, that he did with TeeDee, Sub, and some other TSC guys.(circa 94) Basically, You can hate him all you want... he doesn't care about other writers opinions, if he did he wouldn't paint the way he does. Hes in it for the adventureous "get over" factor... and there is nothing wrong with that.

Note: Iron does have a good point though, I dont want people following in his footsteps... that's his thing... not and excuse for toys to get ugly.

hey

decided to add my two cents in much to ya'lls shagrin i am sure but. .whatever.

you are right that i have seen his shit in scribble and whatnot. he has gotten pretty popular off of a non-traditional style. but like some have pointed out he has spots(nuts spots at that) in probably every major city in the u.s. which is pretty cool. and i hate to be cliche, but we do need people to show us that graff can be whatever we want it to be. i like that about him.

i like five a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

five,six,seven,eight

whatever. tell me someone who is more "all-country" than five.....

try to live in cincinnati and pretend that you don't understand...

this guy has more work riding from FIVE years ago, all illegal, than some of you have up anywhere...

the channels and legals are full of refined "fine art" -which has it's place (namely somewhere that you can roll up and chill for hours without disturbance or rush....) but simply cannot compare to the innovation of this kid. using two cans of cheap paint and stock tips. scaling vertical walls. enduring 10 degrees. always good for a witty pun. some of his shit is simply impossible.and as for the r.i.p. nace on that billboard- you can say what you want about it bein ugly (man it's rough, ain't it?) but that shit was done in the shock of loss, in a daze, in THE BROAD DAYLIGHT, at a busy intersection. he just waltzed up and busted it, quick fast in a hurry, don't worry, five vision ain't blurry.

i knew it was some other shit when i saw this guy skatin through town one day by himself with two gallons of bucket he scavenged from the sid eof the road....

there is only one logical reason for all this fanfare about a single writer.....he's a fuckin genius.

he ain't you. he ain't seen or phase2 cast and he sure as hell aint nyc....

he's an inspiration to more writer's than you'll ever be....

myth is stronger than opinion.....

http://cincygraf.topcities.com/

IRONMAN: i agree, i think 99% of five's shit is crap, but unfortunately, we are the minorities in that view...(and , obviously, i can tell we both big city eastcoasters...) but the bottom line for me is this: the dude does does paint, and paints a lot, and ill take that over nothing anyday. i wholeheartedly agree that it makes kids think they can skip all the years to learn (the years that 5 obviously skipped) and go straight into bobming....its kind of like wanting to be a musician, and you want so bad to be on stage and in videos, so you skip the whole "learning to play" part and just make up some dumb noise shit and call it avant garde....i mean, hey, i see through the ruse but if you can sell ice to an eskimo, more pwoer to ya. im never gonna flick a crappy ass jumble of shapes no matter where its painted, but 20 kids will. as ive learned the hard way debating about this, IRONMAN< our day of quality graff is over....60% of new kids think the more crappy your letters, the more original you are....they think WEST FC pieces are simple and lame...well, fuck it, we're getting old....

thats why i gotta give props to VIZIE, whose tag appears above one of those lame (like, my first throwup EVER lame) five throwups.....VIZIE< from the little i see, is from the midwest, and strikes a nice balance between new styles and classic, real letters....that kid is banging...even that hand right there...OKAE too, although i havent seen as much. those two tags are the only quality graff (besides the MERZ later on) in the whole thread.

so, IRONMAN, im with ya, but were not gonna win this argument on THIS board.

Originally posted by IRONMAN

im so tired of sein people jock this guy, his shit is str8 butt ugly,

and the worst part is, all the new jacks who come out after him who dont wanna take time to learn their handstyles and a good throw up latch onto people like this and give him maad props. cuz thats the easy way out to gettin fame, and they one day hope to get recognition for doin the bare minimum. the quality of the overall graff scene suffers

ive been in this game for alot of years and ive seen people come and go, and it does bother me to see someone who does such ugly shit get credit, it used to be you had to draw in books before you even botherd doin a piece on a wall or it would get criticized immensly or just str8 up gone over without any second thought.

the quality of style gets worse with every toy who gets the balls to go across country to bomb. (dont get me wrong hes put in the time on the streets,as hidious as his made up tags are ...... ) his type is too caught up in the quantity aspect and not enought effort in the quality aspect.

i know alot of the "mid westerner" type are gonna claw to death at me for this, but ive had previous conversations with people on this guy already, same conversation witha fellow nyc native and a "midwesterner" and i was amazed at how the new yorker was repulsed by his stuff , but the midwesterner was like " yo dude, he is sooo dope maan"

i really dont care about anyone elses opinion on this topic, because i have come to my own conclusion, people who grew up seing only nyc classical "soul" and style and redderick and exacution , see someone like this as a half stepper.

to further try to get my point acrossed, i will now give some good examples of people who are not from nyc,but obviosly pay attention to how throwps are dne etc, stemming all the way back to the floater days on the bmt' and irt's but got there style up to par, and definately worth the honorable mention .

SCREW'S simple styles as seen on the new update to paint my face . he definatel ha a strong nyc feel to his suff, although i wouldnt say that about his "old" tag , for those who know what im talking about, please do not blow spots on this forum.

ADEK from sf, has a strong nyc feel, athough im gonna break alot of you guys hearts with this, this guy is a one hundred percent str8 up biter off of brooklyn's "ader" from his tags to his throwies to his str8 letters. sorry guys, i had to school some of you, i cant help it, i saw alot of people drooling about this guy a few weeks back.

"KERSE" has a strangly wierd nyc feel in his "k's etc etc ,and his boy skerts tags, look new yorkish.

"grey has a out of place in sf look, which is strongy reminiscent of ny style in a good way, kudos to this guy, even though i heard hes gassed in the head.

thats all i can think of off the head for now, the floor is open for discussion.

i just looked up incompetent in the dictionary, guess what i saw?

i just read this whole thread, and for the first time i feel i came away with something. what that is exactly i'm really not sure, but thank you anyway.

as far as five goes, i'm not a big fan of his stylisticly speaking, but i am almost envious of his dedication and heart. paint on man, paint on...

Guest sodapop7

Re: FIVE ALIVE!

Originally posted by big-ass-worms

IF you like "glamorous" styles... five is not

your man! --- but being from cincinnati, I've

seen all his shit, from the begining... and he

started out doing clean-ass peices, with

3-D tricks and clean gradations. Somewhere along

the way he decided to "be original" or different from every other writer and just get raw and gritty about it! He can do "traditional" styles but chooses not too. -- The reason he gets jocked is that he is like an invisble floating monkey. He puts his shit in crazy ass spots, that nobody would have thought of getting to. and the quantity is impressive. Also his dedication is unparallelled, He's been arrested, locked down, on the run, out on bail, on probation, in jail, locked down somemore, and yet he still keeps going! Graff is basically his life. Out of the 8 or so years I've known him he has basically been a homeless graffiti outlaw for at least 7 of them, always crashing in one spot just long enough to get over and leave. I can see where people that would see flicks of his stuff, would think he is unskilled, due to the rawness, but it's because they don't know the story behind the man. If you want to see his older "clean" style, look for photos of the original Scribble Jam circus wall, that he did with TeeDee, Sub, and some other TSC guys.(circa 94) Basically, You can hate him all you want... he doesn't care about other writers opinions, if he did he wouldn't paint the way he does. Hes in it for the adventureous "get over" factor... and there is nothing wrong with that.

Archived