CABLE TV, HELP ME!

RELAPSER

ok so.

i've got a cable connection that a friend hooked up for me directly from the line coming off of the pole closed to our house, and at the time, the only tv we had hooked up was our living room one that was running on the same cable coming in from outside.

a week or so ago i got the idea to get a splitter and 100ft of coax cable (from the dollar store, not high quality) and wire it in so that i could now have cable on my bedroom tv as well. but. i'm only getting like 3 channels, and the ones i'm getting are pretty fuzzy. i talked to the girl that hooked it up and she told me to check that my tv was set to 'cable' (which it is) and to run the channel search to find all the rest of the channels.

so basically i've been sitting here for the past 30 minutes refreshing my channels, but it stops after about 8% and reading 6-10 channels. i've got a 20in vizio flat panel in the bedroom and i'm out of ideas to get it to work.

somewhere online told me to get a powered amplifier, but i don't know if i need that or not and if so, i don't know which to get.

help me 12oz?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

swapped out the super long cable with another one that i found laying around, now i'm getting more channels, but only around 10 or so, i'm still missing around 60 channels that i've got in the main room...i've got 1-8 but nothing higher than that.

right, ok like someone mentioned before. cable signals travel on waves like most other types of signals we humans perceive with our senses. the further the signal travels on its wave the more it loses quality (if left to its own devices). this is called "attenuation".

so you got a couple options on how to resolve it. you can get a device which uses electrical current to boost the signal. a signal amp. you can stop being a cheap fucker and at least have the sense to spend money on decent cabling (since you are getting service for free), i personally recommend highly shielded RG6 cabling. you could also make sure your splitter is a high quality splitter with a good signal to noise ratio (SNR). you could check for loose fittings (the shiny steel thing at the end of the cable wire). you could be a badass, climb up the pole and change out the splitter up there since its likely been there for quite some time..

best of luck,

yr friendly neighborhood cableguy.

• Like 1

ok so.

i've got a cable connection that a friend hooked up for me directly from the line coming off of the pole closed to our house, and at the time, the only tv we had hooked up was our living room one that was running on the same cable coming in from outside.

a week or so ago i got the idea to get a splitter and 100ft of coax cable (from the dollar store, not high quality) and wire it in so that i could now have cable on my bedroom tv as well. but. i'm only getting like 3 channels, and the ones i'm getting are pretty fuzzy. i talked to the girl that hooked it up and she told me to check that my tv was set to 'cable' (which it is) and to run the channel search to find all the rest of the channels.

so basically i've been sitting here for the past 30 minutes refreshing my channels, but it stops after about 8% and reading 6-10 channels. i've got a 20in vizio flat panel in the bedroom and i'm out of ideas to get it to work.

somewhere online told me to get a powered amplifier, but i don't know if i need that or not and if so, i don't know which to get.

help me 12oz?

FOUND YOUR PROBLEM

You need a converter, every things digital now.

that^ after feb2010 all tv is digital and to get more than the basic channels (1-19) you need a converter box.. an amp would only let you see the basic channels more clearly, not give you access to more channels

that^ after feb2010 all tv is digital and to get more than the basic channels (1-19) you need a converter box.. an amp would only let you see the basic channels more clearly, not give you access to more channels

I get sixty channels for free, popped the lock on the box n took off the janky ass block they had on I dunno if I get more cause the cable only has to run like thirty ft from the box.