The best reasons to believe that there is a God

nsmbfan

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pascals wager is a very reasonable thing to consider.

my favorite from the wiki page:

uncertainty in skepticism - it is not certain that everything is uncertain.

switching gears, I heard a conversation at a homies house, it was on a movie. one guy was saying there is a definite size to the universe, due to the expansion and big bang and all. but what lies beyond our universe? kinda blew my mind.

before the universe, there wasn't time or space. what was there?

different topic I know.

the pascals wager is something I will keep in my mind for years to come I'm sure. decision theory LOL. i guess it's like playing the lotto, can't go to heaven if you don't play!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ok im not reading through 300 damn pages so just hear me out i think...alot just think for hours and i started thinking about life and whos right religion or scietists(Scientology is not scientists here scientologists are fucking retarded) here is what i came up with in the bible or whatever it said that on the 4th day god created the sun. On earth one day is measured by the earth revolving around with the sun positioned in the same exact place the next day. well for the first "3 days" there was no sun...........so isnt it just possible that those first 3 days were not actually millions and millions of years long?

i kinda go with present time and past time thinking in order to confuse myself even more to where I start not to give a shit:

FACT: We know more about the moon than the deepest of our oceans.

^^^^

with that in mind, how can scientists even come close to say that the universe was created by a big bang....the mother fucking universe. Planet earth is a fucking dust particle in the vast ocean of the universe and we are making assumptions and notations that we figured out already how the universe was created? the fuuuuuuck? we don't even have an explanation for how thunder/lightning is formed and thats on the same fucking planet, and we're gonna go so far to say and explain whats going on trillions of billions of light years away?...fuck that.

now i'm not saying that proves god exists or doesn't exist. All i'm questioning is the logic of the human race and our ignorance and our conceitedness in our logic.

you have to kinda understand the human race in general, we are a pretty conceited life form.

i remember not too long ago mankind believed it was impossible that we would ever rule the skies, and we proved our selves wrong. Everyday texts books are being outdated because we learn more about ourselves and this planet.

so who's to say we're just...i dunno, wrong about everything? (thats a rhetorical question). My theory is not to put too much trust in the human race.

Time is relative. Three days for god could be millions and millions of years. The creation epic of the bible (which is based on the older sumerian creation epic) is symbolic and interpretive. Religion and science are both partially right. Both present pieces of information and are not complete or absolute by any means. Ideas grow and evolve as we assimilate more and more information. Your best bet is to take in as many views as possible and draw your own conclusions.

A new theory proposes that there was no big bang:

http://io9.com/5603595/there-was-no-big-bang-at-the-start-of-the-universe-says-physicist

thats basically what im saying and im glad someone found a way to simply put it i like how you summed it up there

that's also why I don't understand how they can measure the age of the universe.

I understand the rewinding time thing till it hits a singularity, but seriously? At what point during that rewind was earth created, and in which our concept of a year was started ? if you rewind, the earth is gone at some point, or at least smaller and with a different trajectory around the sun, so how does one continue that linear thought of time? we measure years by revolutions around our sun. without the earth or sun, how do we measure time?

it's hogwash. invented by trust fund hippies from Berkeley.

I don't discuss dogma because dogma is the false light. I thought I explained this. The esoteric meaning of religion is the true meaning. Which is why I advocate assimilation of multiple viewpoints.

Also one should meditate on one's own inner voice. You might be surprised by what you find. The brain can act as a multidimensional radio receiver. Some people are more attuned to this than others but anyone can do it with practice.

this^^

tellurian owned this whole thread. almost every page. propped.

*fixed
thats really true its makes me think that some cavemen where chillen in the cave hood and one of the smarter ones told the rest that if they gave him their most valuable and useful possesions, that the mightly lord of all creations would be pleased and bring good luck throughout their lives.......true today ever watch those fake ass religion fund raisers? "ok people we only need 10,000 more dollars and hopefully reach our 300,000 dollar goal. remember if we dont make that 300,000 dollars, gods gonna call me home. please dont make me leave this wonderful world." then even if they dont reach it you see this sleeze, chillen on his back porch of his mansion in beverly hills dirtbags con money out of 85 year old ladies that have to eat canned catfood for a week because they sent their last 40 dollars in to "save the man on tv talking about the lord"

Guest Ginger Bread Man
Time is relative. Three days for god could be millions and millions of years. The creation epic of the bible (which is based on the older sumerian creation epic) is symbolic and interpretive. Religion and science are both partially right. Both present pieces of information and are not complete or absolute by any means. Ideas grow and evolve as we assimilate more and more information. Your best bet is to take in as many views as possible and draw your own conclusions.

A new theory proposes that there was no big bang:

http://io9.com/5603595/there-was-no-big-bang-at-the-start-of-the-universe-says-physicist

counter part to this theory

https://badphysics.wordpress.com/2010/07/28/nobang/

I don't discuss dogma because dogma is the false light. I thought I explained this. The esoteric meaning of religion is the true meaning. Which is why I advocate assimilation of multiple viewpoints.

Also one should meditate on one's own inner voice. You might be surprised by what you find. The brain can act as a multidimensional radio receiver. Some people are more attuned to this than others but anyone can do it with practice.

I'm sorry, but I'm never going to appreciate your views. Your words are too poorly defined, and your random application of theories from either pseudoscientific standpoints or re-interpretations of long standing religious/spiritual tranditions will prevent me from ever respecting what you say.

Not to sound rude. I'm just saying.

this^^

tellurian owned this whole thread. almost every page. propped.

Are you kidding? There is barely an intelligible meaning in those statements. "esoteric meaning is the true light" That means about as much as talking about the existence of a round square.

esoteric-

adjective

understood by or meant for only the select few who have special knowledge or interest; recondite: poetry full of esoteric allusions.

belonging to the select few.

private; secret; confidential.

(of a philosophical doctrine or the like) intended to be revealed only to the initiates of a group: the esoteric doctrines of Pythagoras.

I apprciate talking about the differences between a canonical view of a religion, and less commonly held views of a religion, but to say something is esoteric and there for true, is aboslutely absurd. It doesn't say anything at all. Something that is esoteric is just knowledge that only a few people have. It doesn't speak to its validitiy.

Tossing words together that aren't commonly used doesn't make it true or even remotely valuable. It often just displays a poor command of the english language.

"The brain can act as a multidimensional radio receiver"

CMOOOOOONNNNN. I should think my various threads and posts regarding philosophical thought should display I'm all for using one's mind to expand their conception of reality and perception, but this sort of stuff is just whitewashed new age metaphysics.

that's also why I don't understand how they can measure the age of the universe.

I understand the rewinding time thing till it hits a singularity, but seriously? At what point during that rewind was earth created, and in which our concept of a year was started ? if you rewind, the earth is gone at some point, or at least smaller and with a different trajectory around the sun, so how does one continue that linear thought of time? we measure years by revolutions around our sun. without the earth or sun, how do we measure time?

it's hogwash. invented by trust fund hippies from Berkeley.

Not to troll, but:

The way things like this are figured out is an interpolation of data from various factors. Everything from measuring the relative acceleration of celestial bodies away from eachother, to measuring the background radiation supposedly left behind from the big bang.

If you are wondering what the actual mathematic tool used to interpolate prior data from a current set, it's the foundations of calclulus, e.g. the integral. To move from one function to a prior one.

Science and particularly astronomy has been the fondationsn of modern progression for an very long time.

This perspective on time isn't necessarily linear either. It's a misnomer to attribute such a title to contemporary scientific perspectives on the history of the universe as such. There are a myriad of them, equally as complex and robust in their capacity to explain artifacts of the early universe. I'm not saying we shouldn't discuss science in full, but that lay views on scientific statements are often missing the nuance which shows the beauty and elegance in the construction of the experiments and their subsequent observations which give credence to the validity of their conclusions.

Alright, I'll let you go back to talking about the "true light" or whatever.

/yeahsortaumadsinceverythreadthatstartsoutgoodaboutreligionormetaphysicsgetsruinedbecauseofpsuedoscienceandnewagebullshit

It's nothing more than the attribution of coincidence to correlation. I appreciate the notion that there can be shared themes among developmental periods for people born within a certain range of eachother. Or that things like seasonal affective disorder can affect the hormonal levels in a pregnant woman, thus their children being born with a certain shared inclination to a given disposition. But I do not, and will not believe it has to do with the stars alignment with planets.

Coincidence versus correlation. It's something a lot of people need to learn.