SERIAL GRILLER

Spring Break '92

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
28 minutes ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

You just a charcoal and wood chips in water kinda guy or full wood stacks? I don’t recall your setup. 

Chips for stuff like cherry, pecan, apple.  Wood chunks for hickory or mesquite.  Cedar planks.  Going to test out some new techniques coming up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No recent shots to share so I’ll post some old ones. That said, I think I’ve unlocked the secret to a proper grilled steak. Obviously starts with the quality of your meat as well as the cut. Inherently, the beef flavor is in the fat, so a fatty cut like Ribeye is my go to. 

I then smoke the meat in a Traeger to 125°. Before it gets to chat, I heat lump charcoal in one of those chimney things and get a Weber grill heated to so once my steaks are at 125° on the Traeger, I shift them over that nice sear and final cook to 130° final temp. While it’s resting (about 10 minutes) I’ll melt some home made cowboy butter on it. 

As far as seasoning, I largely want to taste the meat, so I keep it simple… I wipe the meat down with Wagyu beef tallow , apply a liberal bit of quality sea salt or kosher salt and sometimes a very light dusting of Chupacabra rub. 

Epic!

Wagyu beef tallow: https://a.co/d/9gZEf8M

Chupacabra Rub: https://a.co/d/fp5iHXg

Cowboy butter recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/cowboy-butter-recipe-7974944

I’ve been on the cowboy butter tip lately, but sometimes will also add or instead do a good chimichurri. Here’s a great recipe: https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-chimichurri-sauce-242335

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Props 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

image.png.4c2355cdc913fa288c66ab923eae014a.png

FYI NOES

I have been struggling it out with my electric grill and getting some pretty good meals out of it.

So far I have only been using high heat or the smoker setting and have yet to try turning the heat down. It is limiting to not have any sort of indirect option but given the choice of using this or having to go downstairs and set up 20 feet from the building per apartment rules I am happy with the corded option. Never having to think about fuel is nice also but certainly not enough to turn down propane or wood if I had the freedom to choose.

• Like 1

I mean…I can’t see anything you have going on there but I’m sure it was all delicious🤣. My buddy owns a bar restaurant up the street and does all his shit on electric smokers. Doesn’t taste half bad or any different then what I get off the pellet imo. I think it’s all what you are doing for prep end of day. If you have trash seasoning game and a 1500 smoker vs some rinka dink nonsense setup and a trash seasoning game it’s gonna hit the same probably. If you have top notch seasoning game it’s gonna be the same deal but not bad I mean. 

image.thumb.jpeg.dd833646491a47b76426007a93ba6daa.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.44433ab29ab0b8f8ee40c84ec67a7524.jpeg

Today felt like a grill day.  Smoked some beef back ribs and threw on some corn and a kielbasa later.  Smokey flavor worked well on all.  Ribs are a pain in the ass because of the silver skin.  Anyone got tips on that?  I've seen that 'use the back of a knife and then peel it off with a paper towel' bullshit, has never worked.

• Like 2
  • Props 2

On 3/31/2024 at 8:22 AM, misteraven said:

No recent shots to share so I’ll post some old ones. That said, I think I’ve unlocked the secret to a proper grilled steak. Obviously starts with the quality of your meat as well as the cut. Inherently, the beef flavor is in the fat, so a fatty cut like Ribeye is my go to. 

I then smoke the meat in a Traeger to 125°. Before it gets to chat, I heat lump charcoal in one of those chimney things and get a Weber grill heated to so once my steaks are at 125° on the Traeger, I shift them over that nice sear and final cook to 130° final temp. While it’s resting (about 10 minutes) I’ll melt some home made cowboy butter on it. 

As far as seasoning, I largely want to taste the meat, so I keep it simple… I wipe the meat down with Wagyu beef tallow , apply a liberal bit of quality sea salt or kosher salt and sometimes a very light dusting of Chupacabra rub. 

Epic!

Wagyu beef tallow: https://a.co/d/9gZEf8M

Chupacabra Rub: https://a.co/d/fp5iHXg

Cowboy butter recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/cowboy-butter-recipe-7974944

I’ve been on the cowboy butter tip lately, but sometimes will also add or instead do a good chimichurri. Here’s a great recipe: https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-chimichurri-sauce-242335

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Grilled broccoli?!

next level

2 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

image.thumb.jpeg.dd833646491a47b76426007a93ba6daa.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.44433ab29ab0b8f8ee40c84ec67a7524.jpeg

Today felt like a grill day.  Smoked some beef back ribs and threw on some corn and a kielbasa later.  Smokey flavor worked well on all.  Ribs are a pain in the ass because of the silver skin.  Anyone got tips on that?  I've seen that 'use the back of a knife and then peel it off with a paper towel' bullshit, has never worked.

This surprises the shit out of me dog. The skin imo doesn’t need to come off if you score it up diamond shape style with a real good knife. A dull butter knife makes for pretty quick removal though shits easy. 

7 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

This surprises the shit out of me dog. The skin imo doesn’t need to come off if you score it up diamond shape style with a real good knife. A dull butter knife makes for pretty quick removal though shits easy. 

I can't recall ever seeing instructions where it's left on.  If you don't take it off your seasonings are not getting through on that side.  I've also found that it cooks to a crisp that needs to be peeled away anyhow when eating.  As I said, I've never seen the whole skin just peel away in one piece with a butter knife and if I had continued on that route yesterday I would have been left with a bent knife.

Idk there are tons of videos out there of dudes that don’t suck at ribs going straight skin on or just scoring the back which definitely lets seasoning in. Personally I haven’t removed it entirely in a while and don’t think it’s very important especially if you’re seasoning right and wrapping shit with the sauce flex. I will remove it next go and shoot my own video. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

NYT 👎.  I used to use them as a reference often but then they made that section subscriber only.

My sister in law gives us a subription every year for Christmas, so I never think if it. I will say they get the thumbs down for a lot of other reasons on occasion, not the cooking section but others.

Here is copy paste from the recipe I linked, I think if you clear cookies or browse private you can probably still see?

Total Time
1½ hours, plus marinating
Rating
(1,167)
Notes
Read 163 community notes
Brining a chicken before roasting can make for a particularly juicy, tender bird. Using feta in the brine adds a complex and earthy flavor to the mix. Don’t skip the step of taking the chicken out of the brine an hour before cooking. This allows the bird to come to room temperature and dries it out a bit, which helps crisp the skin. This recipe calls for a lot of black pepper, and if you like a spicy bite, don’t afraid to go for the full 2 tablespoons. Or bring the amount down for something milder. In either case, do grind it yourself; the pre-ground stuff is missing all the essential oils that give freshly ground black pepper its woodsy, floral notes. Roasted potatoes make an excellent side dish. —Melissa Clark

Featured in: An Issue That Feta Can Solve

Learn:
How to Roast Chicken

Save

Give

INGREDIENTS
Yield:
4 servings
4ounces feta cheese, crumbled
3½teaspoons kosher salt
13½- to 4-pound whole chicken
1 to 2tablespoons cracked black pepper, to taste
2tablespoons dried Greek oregano
2large lemons
¼cup olive oil, more as needed
1large bunch arugula or other sturdy salad greens, for serving

PREPARATION
Make the recipe with us

Watch
Step 1
The day before serving, combine 2 ounces feta, 2 teaspoons salt and 4 cups water in a blender and blend until smooth. Put chicken in an extra-large resealable plastic bag or a container large enough to submerge chicken, and cover with the feta brine. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.

Step 2
Before cooking, remove chicken from brine and transfer to a towel-lined tray. (Discard brine.) Pat chicken dry with paper towels and allow to come to room temperature for 1 hour.

Step 3
In a small mixing bowl, combine remaining 1½ teaspoons salt, the pepper, the oregano and the zest of the lemons (about 1 tablespoon). Liberally cover chicken in herb mix and gently massage entire bird. Halve lemons and place 3 halves in cavity (save remaining half for serving). Using kitchen twine, tie legs together.

Step 4
Heat oven to 450 degrees. Place a large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Add oil and heat until it just smokes. Place chicken, breast-side up, in pan. Transfer entire pan to oven. Cook, basting once or twice, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a knife, 50 to 60 minutes.

Step 5
Remove pan from oven, then stir remaining crumbled feta into juices in pan and stir well. Let chicken rest for 10 minutes in the pan before slicing and serving on a bed of greens, with feta-laced pan juices on top, drizzled with a little lemon juice from the reserved lemon half.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

What am I looking at here fam?? Looks to be one very heavily sauced rack and then maybe another one strategically missing all of the middle and end? Did you do these in the oven?

2 racks of baby backs. They were smoked in a Green Egg and then lathered in sauce. I got the picture after they were strategically partially eaten. My friend made them. They were really good.

9 hours ago, LUGR said:

2 racks of baby backs. They were smoked in a Green Egg and then lathered in sauce. I got the picture after they were strategically partially eaten. My friend made them. They were really good.

What size egg does your homie have? Them things are pricey. Even the small which is smaller than a Webber is like 8 bills I think. 

3 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

What size egg does your homie have? Them things are pricey. Even the small which is smaller than a Webber is like 8 bills I think. 

He has the XL. It’s pretty cool, has it all hooked up to his phone for monitoring heat.