SERIAL GRILLER

Spring Break '92

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i only use flame and a wire brush to clean it..

then oil my racks when they're warm with seasoned oil

[ATTACH]109900[/ATTACH]

pre pens game grill'n w/ the wifey

[ATTACH]109901[/ATTACH]

and a couple of anti-leaf salads on the side

i've been trying out the seasonal ales.. don't recommend the summer ale, f'lemon zest in beer.. but like sam would say, "that shit'll gitcha druunk"

it was all good

• 2 weeks later...

gas grills have better temperature control. but fuck a grill, i want a smoker. my uncle used to weld smokers out of barrels. and there's this one dude who rolls around my town with a trailer behind his truck that has a giant smoker on it. he posts up in grocery store parking lots and sells ribs and brisket sandwiches. i think that's what i wanna do when i grow up. he looks like he smokes crack, but i don't judge, the man knows his meat /nh

beef bbq ribs using sweet baby rays. best method? sear on 400 degrees ... slather once with bbq sauce to make it stick to the meat a lil, and so it gets a nice grill pattern right off the top. flip once after 5 minutes, pull off after another 5 minutes, then set in oven to bake at 200 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, check on it after 15 minutes to see if it's to your liking. doing this gets the char pattern right and keeps it tender. this method is known as "braising" i think, i learnt it on teh food network. by cooking at a low temp it melts the fatty parts and ligaments until (if it's bone in) you can just pull the bone out from the middle of the meat. sweet shit right here. here's a pic of my plate a few weeks ago:

01243096780374000000236527_0.jpg

shitty pic from my camera, plus i only have one tiny rib showing... lame.

also, this is how your grill is supposed to look in Texas:

bacon and colby cheese mixed in with the burger patty (80/20, not that lean bullshit...), filet mignon chillin in the back, Johnsonville Beer Bratwurst on the top rack, and our one and only veggie.. corn in the husk, slathered with butter and seasonings. un. fuck. wit. a. ble.

01243097174249000000236527_0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest, we were pretty hammered, so we just cooked it like we'd cook a rare steak. We seasoned them with some lawry's and a pinch of old bay, then once we had the coals going really good we just did a few minutes on each side. We both like our meat pretty damn bloody, and i'm under the impression you're supposed to cook venison as rare/medium rare for the best flavor. I'd say we did maybe 3-4 minutes per side for the chops and around 5 for the steaks since they were a bit thicker. I'd say just guage it as you go, but someone with more venison knowledge than me might know some tricks or ways to cook them even better.

Also, it seems a lot of people get some of their venison made into sausage, because it stores more easily. If you have an opportunity to get ahold of some of that, you definitely should. I've had venison sausage from 4 or 5 different people and every time its fucking amazing.

To be honest, i like the flavor, even though some people think its too gamey. I still season it like a steak, but i don't try to cover the flavor or anything like that. If its your first time trying venison, i suggest you do the same and get a real feel for what it tastes like. If you don't like the gamey taste, you can always season it more after cooking, or cook it differently the next time around

To be honest, i like the flavor, even though some people think its too gamey. I still season it like a steak, but i don't try to cover the flavor or anything like that. If its your first time trying venison, i suggest you do the same and get a real feel for what it tastes like. If you don't like the gamey taste, you can always season it more after cooking, or cook it differently the next time around

good call.. develop your own preferences by trying it plain first!!

really if i had my way, i'd get some fillet, some butterfly chops, then turn the rest into smoked jerkey..

• 1 year later...

I'm no professional, but Adobo is my usual catch-all for dry rub seasonings. throw in some salt and pepper, some chili seasoning as well, and you have some serious chronic on your hands.

On another note, why don't American grocery stores have what is called Costillitas (literally means, small ribs). its a lot more liberal with the fat being left on, and cuts in a different direction across the bone so you have a lot more meat. it ends up being like a huge piece of bacon on a bone haha

tocineta+y+costilla+chorizos+de+cerdo+ahumados+cali+valle+del+cauca+colombia__B4B4D_2.jpg

this is kinda what it looks like