The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5wksht.jpg

Large Blaze At Guinness Factory Site

Plumes of thick black smoke billowed across the city skyline as a dozen fire crews battled to bring the inferno under control and stop it from spreading to a nearby ammonia plant.

Two firefighters were taken to hospital after an ammonia blast when a small release of toxic fumes hit them.

Local residents were told to keep their windows and doors closed as the smoke filled the air along the River Liffey.

Motorists were also told to avoid the St James' Gate area as smoke clogged roads and one of the city's Luas tram lines was closed.

Pat Fleming, assistant chief fire officer with Dublin Fire Brigade, said it took three and a half hours to get the inferno under control.

"It was a large scale fire," he said.

"Our main objective was to confine it to a building of origin which we did.

"There have been no injuries to any of the Guinness staff but two firefighters have been taken to hospital for precaution."

It is understood the fire broke out near the Victoria Quay entrance when workmen tried to repair a felt roof with a blow torch and it caught fire shortly after noon.

Mr Fleming said ammonia was stored at the plant and was protected, but said if it had been released the incident would have been very serious.

A brewery spokeswoman said the fire started at a storeroom which was rarely used and contained plants and empty storage tanks.

this was last week and it is all ok now...

drinking this at the moment.

img_2523.jpg

belgium kriek beer - malt beverage with cherry flavor.

it doesn't taste like beer. it tastes more like carbonated kool-aid.

i actually kind of like it. although, i think it's good to drink just one.

Ugh I can't stand lambics or saisons. They taste like watered down champagne but somehow people hype the shit out of them. I just don't understand....plus who wants to drink a $10 or so bomber that tastes like kool-aid?

• Like 1

i've decided that one of my 2010 goals is to brew some beer. not sure where to start, but here goes nothing.

Read over this.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/index.html

While picking up a starter kit like one of these

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdBySubCat.aspx?SubCat=11166&fd=1

Also you will want to start off with recipie kits at first, here is some info about them.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/recpkits.asp

Interesting. I always took it as a French thing, but it's actualy from the French speaking region of Belgium. As I said, the flavors are pretty light so you should be ok. I wouldn't be too leary though, earlier on here I mentioned a brew that had a few flowers used in it, pretty good. Hops are flowers. Still, personal taste prevails. I think you'd be ok w/ it.

I first heard of Sam Adams Utopias last week. Apparently its has the highest ABV of any commercially produced Brew on the market @ 24%. They make a batch every few years and bottle it. Why have i never heard of this? Am i the last person on earth to know

? has anyone had it? Is it worth it? Thoughts?

utopias.jpg