The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

I think Corona is OK as a beverage, since people drink ice tea, bacardi breezers and other types of soft drinks anyway.

The clear bottle just wont do any good to it's beer qualities. IMO there are several cheaper beers just as good, with low carbonation (?) and bland taste.

It's ben a while since I had one though... I should try again to see if I can enjoy it.

Landshark...Corona for the white man.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*rant*

Screw all that aging beer nonsense. All beers are best when they are had fresh, You may have bigger bolder beers like a barlywine for instance that required some aging just to get the flavor profile to mesh well so it fits the parameters of the style but this is usually always taken care of before the beer would even hit the shelf at the brewery. I think its all a marketing ploy by breweries just so they can pop off stuff that is "Aged" for a few years at a higher price, good for them if fools by it. Sure you can lay beers down for years and they will still taste good. but really its gonna taste its best when had fresh like its supposed to be.

Well, I've never really aged beer, just held out on a more expensive beer until I thought I had a good enough reason to finally drink it.

There's a pretty shitty general store, the closest one to me, that I usually buy my mild barley wine in because everything in that store is going to be at least a year old. The bottles sometimes have miscellaneous liquids caked on the outside of it, but the beer tastes great.

nothing magic hat is anything to speak about

3105195945_48306a875b.jpg

founders backwoods bastard

its out now, very rare, only ten cases sold in chicago so be on the look out, i bought half a case.

GL-ChristmasAle.jpg

great lakes christmas ale

this is great might be one of my favorite winter seasonals so far

i saw a mini keg of two hearted ale for 20 bucks if its still ther next week im buying it

Going to go through a few different things tonight while watching this UFC shit. 1st up: Sierra Nevada Kellerweis. I actually like this, not bad. I was glad that they added something new to their brews. HOWEVER, still no match for the real deal as made by the Germans, could be a little stronger on the flavors.

label_250.jpg

anyone have any of these yet?

the rep was in yesterday trying to spit game. support chicago blah blah blah...

the only thing i saw before my eyes was that backwoods bastard i didnt give a fuck about anything else.

okay heres the real question.

would you get a mini keg of the bells two hearted ale or the winter nut brown ale?

he has one of each for around $20 bucks. i can't decide

Switching to Japanese Whisky in a minute, but last off is Abita Pecan. Thought this was good the 1st time around, ate some pecans while I drank it. I think this delivers, not too strong on the pecan taste but the flavor is there. Anyone know about their other brews? I've been hesitant to fuck with them.

Eugene City Brewery Honey Orange Wheat Ale- brewed/bottled by Rogue. Ok, but very light on the flavor, more of an aftertaste if anything. Have to reference the Midwest again- Milwaukee Ale House had something similar, think it was w/ orange blossom, much much better. If you're in the area at the right season check it out. This other stuff is just ok.

Blanche de Namur

Think someone posted this a page back. Belgian beer, I'll give it the seal of approval. The orange peel is the predominant taste, liqourice/coriander on the aftertaste, but not strong for those of you who don't really drink beer. I'm a big fan of the Belgian brews, they were kind of the rage at the time that I started drinking beer for the taste instead of just to get hammered.

104892.jpg

Just got this tonight, but I'm really not sure if I should try aging it or not.

Buy two. Try one now and then save one.

*rant*

Screw all that aging beer nonsense. All beers are best when they are had fresh, You may have bigger bolder beers like a barlywine for instance that required some aging just to get the flavor profile to mesh well so it fits the parameters of the style but this is usually always taken care of before the beer would even hit the shelf at the brewery. I think its all a marketing ploy by breweries just so they can pop off stuff that is "Aged" for a few years at a higher price, good for them if fools by it. Sure you can lay beers down for years and they will still taste good. but really its gonna taste its best when had fresh like its supposed to be.

Yeah, this is just not right.

I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but just try more beers. This isn't some marketing conspiracy. It' is pretty simple to understand that something (beer) is made by a slowly catalyzing chemical reaction. Like all chemical reactions they will continue until there is nothing left to react. When there are strong beers with lots of sugar and higher yeast contents, they take longer to metabolize all the sugar.

Have you ever had a beer that tasted "too" alcoholic? That beer can probably stand to sit by itself in a dark cellar for six or more months.

Have you ever had two of the same types of beers at different periods in their aging process? I'd bet you money that there is a big difference in what you would taste of it.

Yes, there are some beers that should be enjoyed fresh. Most beers that are strong in the hop profile are those that should be had soon after brewing. This notion is reflected in beers such as Russian River's Pliny the Elder, Dogfishhead 90 Minute IPA, and others of the IPA and Pale ale ilk. There are others that should be enjoyed fresh, but for the most part these are the best examples I can think of at the moment. Oh and lagers and pilsners. Not really their thing.

But yeah, not all beers should be aged, but many can, and it makes many fucking amazing.

I have a case of this:

tg0_8349.png

sittin in my closet. I've had one already. I'll probably have another soon. And then in six months I'll have one, and in a year I'll have one.

It will be delicious.

Beer is no different than wine or any other fine thing that appreciates with age.

Do some research, try some more beers, and be less paranoid.

Buy two. Try one now and then save one.

Yeah, this is just not right.

I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but just try more beers. This isn't some marketing conspiracy. It' is pretty simple to understand that something (beer) is made by a slowly catalyzing chemical reaction. Like all chemical reactions they will continue until there is nothing left to react. When there are strong beers with lots of sugar and higher yeast contents, they take longer to metabolize all the sugar.

Have you ever had a beer that tasted "too" alcoholic? That beer can probably stand to sit by itself in a dark cellar for six or more months.

Have you ever had two of the same types of beers at different periods in their aging process? I'd bet you money that there is a big difference in what you would taste of it.

Yes, there are some beers that should be enjoyed fresh. Most beers that are strong in the hop profile are those that should be had soon after brewing. This notion is reflected in beers such as Russian River's Pliny the Elder, Dogfishhead 90 Minute IPA, and others of the IPA and Pale ale ilk. There are others that should be enjoyed fresh, but for the most part these are the best examples I can think of at the moment. Oh and lagers and pilsners. Not really their thing.

But yeah, not all beers should be aged, but many can, and it makes many fucking amazing.

I have a case of this:

sittin in my closet. I've had one already. I'll probably have another soon. And then in six months I'll have one, and in a year I'll have one.

It will be delicious.

Beer is no different than wine or any other fine thing that appreciates with age.

Do some research, try some more beers, and be less paranoid.

My rant and opinion are based off of my last 5 years of brewing. I think you are misunderstanding what i mean. I am fully aware that specific styles of beers will require time to condition and that may even be as long several months, To me this is still fresh and that is only because the beer even though it may be a year old at this point has conditioned so that it should taste as it was set out to taste by the brewer.

What is not cool is when a bottle of beer is sold at double or triple its value because it is 4 years past its date of production like some oh la la wine shit and even though it may in fact be drinkable because of the amounts of residual sugars and alcohol volume that helped it hold up better with time it is now entirely the opposite of what the brewer who made the beer at the time had set out for you to drink and enjoy.

I just find the whole train of thought silly. I know people that have hundreds of beers just hanging out "Aging them" to me its a waste.