Time Travel to Be Unlocked Later This Year

Poesia [ ] T

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I remember reading somwhere that if time travel were to become real, it would only be possible to travel forward, and not backwards. Therefore you'd be stuck where you went. I don't know the logistics of this theory, I just thought I'd share.

But really how can you travel forward? It hasn't happened yet. "TIME" is just a measurement that we created. You have not lived an event in the future to re-live yet.

the universe is too random to predict. I could walk outside and stab someone right now or hand them a flower. How is it dictated which future I end up in?

this is exactly what we need to be fucking with right now, tearing holes in the space time continuum to see what we find in them...

Especially russia, at least we know if it works you will be able to buy the tech on the black market in the back of soldier of fortune mags just like I copped my new wifey

Steven Hawking posted a theory in "A Brief History of Time" that time (as comprehended by man) might be viewed on a beam... similar to light and sound. To travel through time there would need to be a mode of transport able to move faster than the speed of light along this beam so as to "catch up" with the past... or capable of slowing down enough to move backwards along the beam towards the future. I don't know if it could ever be proven true... but it's an interesting idea.

Well, from what I can tell, tachyons are faster than light particles that can travel either forward or backward in time depending on their "charge".

It's been proposed to use them as a means of communication, but there's too much background noise due to the energy fields.

No, the point is that that a tachyon moving "backward" in time is in fact a misinterpretation of a tachyon moving forward in time. The two are equivalent, but a tachyon moving backward in time would violate causality. A hypothetical tachyon 'detector' would thus necessarily emit tachyons rather than absorb them. In any case faster-than-light particles are at best highly speculative; they probably don't exist. And no information can be transmitted by tachyons in any sense approaching that of "time travel."

/yesphysicsmajor

Edit: Go here - http://12ozprophet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111989&highlight=physics

No, the point is that that a tachyon moving "backward" in time is in fact a misinterpretation of a tachyon moving forward in time. The two are equivalent, but a tachyon moving backward in time would violate causality. A hypothetical tachyon 'detector' would thus necessarily emit tachyons rather than absorb them. In any case faster-than-light particles are at best highly speculative; they probably don't exist. And no information can be transmitted by tachyons in any sense approaching that of "time travel."

/yesphysicsmajor

Edit: Go here - http://12ozprophet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111989&highlight=physics

I was trying to explain the wiki to Poesia to the best of my ability.

You're probably more up to date than I am. I always defer to the better source.

/nophysicsmajor

just watched primer after u guys said 2...good movie..gave me a headache tho..(the last forth,) saw deja vu..it was more hollywood and less science than primer..good movie as well..and is donnie darko a time travel movie?

time travel movies include (butterfly effect, jacket) if any1 wants to see any.