Abstracts

Bojangles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I'm on the bird right now. (NH?)

Swindle, I bribed my girl's son with a dollar today to try the Vegamite then I finally tried a tiny lil' nip. I'm gonna' get brave this week and eat it as directed.

Not to derail this thread, but it tastes like blood and pennies.

Let's paint that bird!

I'm on the bird right now. (NH?)

Swindle, I bribed my girl's son with a dollar today to try the Vegamite then I finally tried a tiny lil' nip. I'm gonna' get brave this week and eat it as directed.

Not to derail this thread, but it tastes like blood and pennies.

Let's paint that bird!

blood and pennies :lol:

i checked the post office, package hasn't come yet (<- no homo) i've got faith though.

true words above..

For arguements sake... ima post this story i found online...

discuss?

Is this a story of a child prodigy or a joke at the expense of the art world? In the curious case of Aelita Andre, it could be both of those things - or neither.

In October, Mark Jamieson the director of Brunswick Street Gallery in Melbourne's Fitzroy, was asked by a Russian-born photographer whose work he represented to consider the work of another artist.

Nikka Kalashnikova showed Jamieson some abstract paintings by an artist named Aelita Andre; Jamieson liked what he saw and agreed to include it in a group show, alongside work by Kalashnikova and Julia Palenov at his gallery later this month.

Jamieson then started to promote the show, printing glossy invitations and placing ads in the magazines Art Almanac and Art Collector, featuring the abstract work. Only then did he discover a crucial fact about the new artist: Aelita Andre is Kalashnikova's daughter, and then she was just 22 months old. She turns two tomorrow.

"I was shocked and, to be honest, a little embarrassed," Jamieson said, but he decided to proceed with the exhibition.

Jamieson said his gallery had a policy of supporting emerging artists, although that policy did not usually extend to artists quite so young. He said it was difficult to judge abstract art.

Kalashnikova said she and her husband, Michael Andre, did not set out to mislead the gallery. They simply wanted Aelita's work to be judged on its merits. "I wanted to get it out there and get a separate opinion," she said. "Of course, every mother is proud of their child. I didn't tell him [Jamieson] because I had all these feelings going through my head - fear, embarrassment."

She said Aelita began painting shortly before she could walk. Both parents are artists and Aelita was used to seeing them work on canvases on the floor.

Aelita's dad said as soon as she began drawing in her Montessori play group he could see her creations were different from other children's. "It immediately leapt out as a defined representation of something in an abstract form."

When shown the works without any information on the artist, The Age's art critic, Robert Nelson said his first impression was of "credible abstractions, maybe playing on Asian screens with their reds.

"They're heavily reliant on figure/ground relations."

After learning Aelita's age, Nelson said he was not particularly surprised. "I have kids and when they were little I used to do lots of painting exercises with them. If it is a child's work it's not a child alone. We're happy to credit the child but it begins with a parental concept."

- Story by Clare Kermond for SMH. Photos by Wayne Taylor

080109100928_cherry-blossom.jpg

080109100642_aelita-2.jpg

080109100633_aelita1.jpg

I gave the Baboon a try last night, these sketches are the only ones i was moderately satisfied with. Im the most satisfied with the second one. Ive never been very abstract i suppose, or maybe its my approach? Maybe i should look at it the way i used to do abstracts? Anybody remember those i posted? Crits are welcomed. The other works are great stuff. Im going to work on more of the Baboon today, and then give the tucan a try. Let me know what you think.

100_0071.jpg

100_0072.jpg

100_0073.jpg

I think on the female one, people will stumble and be afraid to truly go abstract.

I predict more cubism pieces than abstract.

Not that that's bad but that's what I see happening.

Don't be afraid to let loose people and really blow it out of shape.

P.S. Good job Elizabeth. I really like the head a lot.

I like Elizabeth especially the facial Area.

Also i like bojangles up top.

I say Hayabusa recommend the next exercise.

I mentioned this exercise because i wanted to show how to look at an image and deconstruct or be influenced by an image without having to fully represent the image exactly. Abstract is at times objective, but most times non objective. Meaning that the thread had some posts that involved more objective imagery that was basicly stylized not really a true abstract image. I wanted to get it back on track a bit.

Also Complex the image is a great picture but i can see everyone just basicly copying the image in a abstract style but not an abstract image. The eyes being defined would only mean that it would be more easy to recognize it as a face. The Baboon i think lead more to the imagination. I think my piece even came out too much of an image and more a stylized interpretation. Thats why i love the exercises it makes us get out of our comfort zone. I would never look at an image like that and be inspired to paint in my normal way.

Not sure if you understand but if not its ok carry on. Hayabusa What is the next project.

Here is a brief defintion also of non objective are or as i call it abstract just so i dont lose anyone.

"Non-objective art does not contain a recognizable subject. Rather, the artist manipulates the elements of art (color, shape, line, form, space, value, texture) by using the principles of design (balance, repetition, unity, rhythm, proportion, harmony, variety, emphasis, movement). [Note: There are many different beliefs about which words make up the elements and principles of art and design.] The word "non-objective" can be broken down, literally, into the words "no object." When one looks at a non-objective piece of artwork, they will see various arrangements of lines, shapes, colors..etc. Sometimes these compositions make a pattern or design. Many people believe that non-objective art is not "real art," but non-objective artwork can be found in the rugs we buy for our homes, the prints on our clothing, and the covers of notebooks, folders, and CD's. Jackson Pollack and Piet Mondrion were two artists with non-objective styles."

T;7021670']I like Elizabeth especially the facial Area.

Also Complex the image is a great picture but i can see everyone just basicly copying the image in a abstract style but not an abstract image. The eyes being defined would only mean that it would be more easy to recognize it as a face. The Baboon i think lead more to the imagination. I think my piece even came out too much of an image and more a stylized interpretation. Thats why i love the exercises it makes us get out of our comfort zone. I would never look at an image like that and be inspired to paint in my normal way.

i agree, when i mapped it out in my head it did come out as an interpretation then abstraction