Global Warming

toke_wdc

Yeah, I live in Amherst MA during the school year and shit was crazy this last year. Mad mild winter, then all of a sudden it wouldn't stop fucking snowing, then raining, snowing then raining... all the way up till graduation which was May 19, I believe. We had like one nice week during the spring and that was it.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i went to live earth caus it was my mates 21st and we wanted to see some of the bands that were playing. It was so funny seeing all these little hipster fags that wouldn;t have any concept of what protecting the environment is wearign shirts talking about how muvch thye lvoe the planet and gay shiz like that.

But yeha i didn't even know it was run by Al Gore or whatever until i got there and i thought it was pretty gay, as if any of the dickheads there are going to go home and actually start turning off lights when theyre not in use or driving fuel efficient cars because they got drunk or on pills and went to a concert

Yeah, I live in Amherst MA during the school year and shit was crazy this last year. Mad mild winter, then all of a sudden it wouldn't stop fucking snowing, then raining, snowing then raining... all the way up till graduation which was May 19, I believe. We had like one nice week during the spring and that was it.

Shit, you got in to Amherst as an undergraduate? You must be as smart as you seem.

does anyone else find it funny that the live earth concert is going to be responsible for hundreds of thousands of tons of carbon emissions?

yeah the blatant hypocrisy of that just made me kinda shake my head.

and on top of that, i don't think it really opened any eyes at all. unfortunately, i get the feeling that the crowd was split between people that are already pseudo-environmentalists (you know, down for the cause because it's cool... not thinking about the previously mentioned carbon emissions) and the "less talk, more rock" crowd.

• 4 weeks later...

Hypocrasy is common amongst "environmentalist". I was recently told my photography sucked in a round about way by a pseudo hippie. I'm used to that but her reason was for crits was this. (Keep in mind I take rooftop shots of NYC)

"I think photography is to show the beauty of nature now how man destroys it"

This cunt lives in the countryside in a huge house that no doubt takes allot of resources to heat and maintain. Not to mention the encroachment on habitats and burning of mad gas to maintain her minority free lifestyle. Holier than thou Hippiecritz. My response to her was "we should all take the same pictures, that would be interesting." I wish I knew more about her to lay into her more at the time.

Hypocrasy is common amongst "environmentalist". I was recently told my photography sucked in a round about way by a pseudo hippie. I'm used to that but her reason was for crits was this. (Keep in mind I take rooftop shots of NYC)

This cunt lives in the countryside in a huge house that no doubt takes allot of resources to heat and maintain. Not to mention the encroachment on habitats and burning of mad gas to maintain her minority free lifestyle. Holier than thou Hippiecritz. My response to her was "we should all take the same pictures, that would be interesting." I wish I knew more about her to lay into her more at the time.

Truth. Urbanism doesn't destroy the environment, but unrestrained suburbanism. I live downtown and I can walk everywhere, I live in a multistory apartment that serves a large population in a minimal amount of space, I can go on but you get the picture.

^I've seen some of your photos and they don't suck. That stupid ass bitch was most likely just that.

I mean how the fuck you gonna tell someone what the fuck they're supposed to take pictures of?

That's like telling an artist what he's supposed to paint pictures of.

Come on.

Why you even sweating what some opinionated hippy has to say about what you take Photos of anyways?

Truth. Urbanism doesn't destroy the environment, but unrestrained suburbanism. I live downtown and I can walk everywhere, I live in a multistory apartment that serves a large population in a minimal amount of space, I can go on but you get the picture.

Urbanism doesn't destroy the environment? Cities are immense polluters, just look at the smog in LA. Your apartment building that compresses masses of people in minimal space also generates largescale pollution from all the air conditioners, guzzles natural resources to provide heat and hot water, and creates an abundance of garbage all in one localized area. Plus, you might walk everywhere, but far too many people don't (including me). Just look at all the cabs in NYC, or all the assholes in cars in Boston, or the clogged freeways during rush hour traffic, when people commute to and from the suburbs to their jobs in big, centrally heated and air-conditioned office buildings. Look at the rate of respiratory problems in the city compared to the suburbs and rural areas. Look at all the light pollution, you can't even see the stars when you're in Boston. Then there's major airports next to nearly every single major city in this country.

Urbanism doesn't destroy the environment? Cities are immense polluters, just look at the smog in LA. Your apartment building that compresses masses of people in minimal space also generates largescale pollution from all the air conditioners, guzzles natural resources to provide heat and hot water, and creates an abundance of garbage all in one localized area. Plus, you might walk everywhere, but far too many people don't (including me). Just look at all the cabs in NYC, or all the assholes in cars in Boston, or the clogged freeways during rush hour traffic, when people commute to and from the suburbs to their jobs in big, centrally heated and air-conditioned office buildings. Look at the rate of respiratory problems in the city compared to the suburbs and rural areas. Look at all the light pollution, you can't even see the stars when you're in Boston. Then there's major airports next to nearly every single major city in this country.

I think living as a human being (unless you're some tribal bushman) is going to cause pollution. If you take the people living in a big building in a city and compare them to the same number of people living in a suburban area the urban people pollute less. It takes more energy to air condition a bunch of houses than a bunch of small apartments/condos. Urban people drive less and everyone uses airports not just the city slickers.

I think living as a human being (unless you're some tribal bushman) is going to cause pollution. If you take the people living in a big building in a city and compare them to the same number of people living in a suburban area the urban people pollute less. It takes more energy to air condition a bunch of houses than a bunch of small apartments/condos. Urban people drive less and everyone uses airports not just the city slickers.

My point exactly. The cities simply concentrate the effects of the human population in smaller places, leaving larger swaths of land for "nature." I effect the environment far less living in the city than I do in the country. If everyone lived in the suburbs or country, we'd be in trouble. The light pollution that fermentor speaks of would be everywhere. There essentially would be no "country" to escape to.

Fermentor, you're usually on the right track with your statements, but I think you need to reevaluate your opinion on this one. Just a short google search turned up these sites, providing evidence of the smaller environmental footprint of urban areas per person.

http://www.olowalu.net/index.cfm?fuseaction=ig.page&PageID=158

http://www.sciencenetlinks.com/lessons.cfm?DocID=280

"To understand that while cities have unattractive features, the density of human life enables energy efficiency, mass transit, recycling, and other benefits which are difficult or impossible in rural areas. Thus, the impact of any given individual urban dweller on the environment may be less than that of a suburban or rural individual, while quality of life may by some measures be higher."

Move to the city... be green.

I dunno, man, cities definitely pollute a lot. Sure there is recycling and mass transit, but there is a hell of a lot of pollution regardless. Just think of all the sewers.

Personally, I think there is a population problem but there is no solution to it. At least none that doesn't create human rights violations, which I am against of course. Actually, the solution is scientific revolution, which is slowly happening. It's just a matter of whether or not it will happen before we destroy ourselves or after.

Edit: By scientific solution I mean ways to deal with pollution and garbage, not some crazy theory about killing people or forced abortions or some stupid shit.

To the contrary.

It may seem counterintuitive, but I tend to think our mastery of rational thought and scientific revolution is actually one of the main reasons for our population issue to date.

Medicine alone is responsible for way too many people being alive that wouldn't otherwise. Not only that, but think about our propensity to chane environments through technological advancement. It is our rational impulse at all that removes us from our earthly bounds.

Ironic that rationality is the most animal thing about us.