ROAD TRIP

soupBDC

Is coming up in june and is to be around touristy parts of Europe i'm afraid. London, Paris, and Florence mostly and I'm thinking a new sort of camera's in order. I was gonna buy a folding road bike but funding is a bit short. So the question is, photos or footage? Photos I could possibly sell but I've never owned a camcorder before so I dunno. What's everyone say? Digi camera or digi videocam?

Unless someone's got a g' rolled up somewhere they'd care to hand me without juice.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Fuck that. Im either copping a digital high def Sony video camera or an EOS D5. None of this 'oh my camera can take movies' bullshit. I haven't been shooting photography in a minute and my old roomate fucking blew past me and is making bank. I'm talking about, nearly a $10k photography setup living in Pasadena while he goes to Art Center free of charge. http://www.carbonmetrictree.com/

So for the practical choice is the Canon, but I'm still eying that Video cam thinking of all the crazy artsy shit I can do with it, then buying a lipstick camera and taking footage of bike trips and stuff. I just dunno if I need to get it before I leave for europe. Either way Im gonna be happy. Maybe I'll flip a coin, or just leave it open for discussion.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you mean a Canon 5D.

Realize that it's 3000 for 12 MP that you'll probably never use. Also that it's the same FPS as a 30D, and that it only takes the EF lenses. Not the EFS.

Basically it's for people that have a huge amount of money built up in Canon 35MM lenses and they don't want to start over. Personally I think you'd be fine with a 30D or even a Rebel XT or XTI.

Plus the XT series is A LOT smaller and easier to lug around with you.

Oh, and also with the money you save NOT buying a 5D you can spend on a sweet lens.

You could get a good zoom for a couple hundred. You could get a IS (Image Stabilization) lens for about 5 or 6. Those are good for taking longer exposure shots without a tripod. I think they say it's up to 4 seconds. That will be good for most night shits where there is still a fair amount of street lights.

Or you could get a wide angle for about 6 to 8.