controversy over a muslim entering US congress

johnny

man, what a cocksucker this congressman goode is.

Washington, D.C. 23 December (Asiantribune.com): Responding to Congressman Virgil Goode's uncomplimentary statements concerning Muslims and immigration, Muslim American Society Freedom Foundation’s Executive Director sent an English translation of the Quran to the Congressman.

Congressman Goode stated in his letter opposing Congressman-elect from Minnesota at the November 7 general election expressing his desire to take his private oath-taking on Islam’s Holy Book Quran, sent early this month to his constituents in the State of Virginia and released to the nation’s 300 million population to read, that he does, "not subscribe to using the Koran in any way." Goode wrote, "We need to stop illegal immigration totally and reduce legal immigration and end the diversity visas policy that allow many persons from the Middle East to come to this country".

Goode added: "I fear that in the next century we will have many more

Muslims in the United States if we do not adopt the strict immigration policies that I believe are necessary to preserve the values and beliefs traditional to the United States of America."

In the letter to Representative Goode, Muslim American Society’s Mahdi Bray suggested that, "the Congressman read the chapter from the Quran entitled Hujjrat (49th chapter,verse 13) which states ' O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other).Verily the most honored of you in the sight of God is (he who is) the most righteous of you... '"

He also suggested that Goode refresh himself with the biblical passage that says "love thy neighbor as thyself".

Finally, Bray highly recommended that Representative Goode read the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, specifically the portion pertaining to the free exercise of religion.

Bray further commented that, "the Congressman's statements were

prejudiced and reflected how little he knows about both the immigration policy and Islam."

In an Asian Tribune news analysis carried on 22 December edition titled ‘Election of the first Muslim to US Congress a threat to America’s traditional values, says Republican Congressman’ suggested that the Congressman needs a fresh lesson on foreign affairs, Islamic World, America’s new Global Public Diplomacy and American value system.

"It seems like 1950's style Dixie deja-vu all over again. Many Southern politicians during that era wanted to shut Blacks out of public life and warned against the integration of African-Americans into the social and political fabric of America. 'The race mixers needed to know their place in a white mans country' they would often say. It seems as if Congressman Goode is serving the same bigoted soup, just in a different bowl. The Congressman doesn't need to apologize, what he really needs to do is educate himself about Islam, America's fastest growing religion. Like Congressman-elect Keith Ellison, I am both a Muslim and an African-American."

"Many of our ancestors who were forcefully brought here to build our great nation were Muslims or descendants of Muslims. Muslims have always been in America and we are here to stay. I hope when Congressman-elect Ellison takes his oath, he not only takes it on the Quran, but requests to use the one owned by Thomas Jefferson; one of America's founding fathers, kept at the National Archives. Perhaps such a move would educate the dear Congressman from Virginia concerning the longstanding contributions that Islam has made to American life."

The Freedom Foundation is the public affairs arm of the Muslim American Society (MAS), a national grassroots religious, social, and educational organization. MAS is America's largest grassroots Muslim organization with over 50 chapters nationwide.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i don't see anything wrong with it. freedom of religion right? as long as he's pro-american and for the forward movement of his country there is nothing wrong. it's the right-wing christian evangelists who would like to destroy the constitution and say he can't swear in on a koran or be a member of congress. i understand the whole fear/anger of arab muslims after 9/11 and several other terrorist attacks around the globe, but he looks like an african-american muslim, not an arab muslim or someone of middle eastern descent.

*also it's interesting thomas jefferson owned a quran... never knew that.

this is why i cant fuckin stand most people. fuck this guy fuck all of these people who think they are doing this country right by promoting the most retarded back asswards culturally isolationists bullshit. you know, if someone said this shit of christians, it would be slander this, heathen that.. fuckin i... fuck everyone.

this country reaps what it sows.

Read america alone by Mark Steyn. You all probabley don't realize what a threat islam is to your comfortable way of life. The way demographics are changing is going to have a huge effect on how dominant Islam is going to become if we keep up our appeasement. Whats funny is that your all going to spout off about how intolerant I am and defend the Muslims when you have no idea of how intolerant they are of what you believe.

You mischaracterize some of our chriticism. I recognize the ideological conservativism and repression Islam can present. My mother grew up in a muslim household and was very much affected by the power and ideological dynamics it created.

The issue as I see it is that this is just representative of the general xenophobia and ignorance that exists. If this guy were openly athiest and didn't want to swear in on the bible at all, this same shit would happen. Fuck it would be even worse.

We are a country so obsessed with the pragmatism of our chosen ignorance. It is no suprise that this shit happens with a country full of dunces. Ignorance and intollerance will exist aslong as there are people unconcerned with learning, or whole in accepting the teachings they are given with only pretext. Any ideology that is accepted without question by any one person is dangerous.

You mischaracterize some of our chriticism. I recognize the ideological conservativism and repression Islam can present. My mother grew up in a muslim household and was very much affected by the power and ideological dynamics it created.

The issue as I see it is that this is just representative of the general xenophobia and ignorance that exists. If this guy were openly athiest and didn't want to swear in on the bible at all, this same shit would happen. Fuck it would be even worse.

We are a country so obsessed with the pragmatism of our chosen ignorance. It is no suprise that this shit happens with a country full of dunces. Ignorance and intollerance will exist aslong as there are people unconcerned with learning, or whole in accepting the teachings they are given with only pretext. Any ideology that is accepted without question by any one person is dangerous.

word, except you spelt criticism wrong. im not muslim but i respect if someone wants to believe in something. there will always be muslim people. judging them by some radicals is rediculous. we need to see people and life on more of an individual basis and realize there are always gonna be people who do outrageous seemingly senseless things, better they do it for their beliefs than cause of a rock song. fuck what the few radical muslims did but more than enough people paid for it with their lives. but anyway the thing with congressman goode shows the ignorance that we have while choosing the people who run our country. this guy like went through a time machine from the past to the future to say that shit or something. you should have to pass a standardized test before voting cause that fool is an asshole. i bet he respected ali. maybe one day the ignorance will be behind us and we can look back and recognize how disgusting and primitive that shit is. overall fuck that guy man. what a douchebag.

I can't believe it, but this rep from Virginia is probably going to get away with saying such bigoted things. I think it's a good thing, that Minnesota elected a Muslim. And, Steve Harper, the crisis of Muslim populations in countries like France and England are due, in part, to the exclusion of Muslims from high powered positions.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind it if our neighborhoods started having more mosques, Turkish coffee shops and Middle Eastern food, so long as that went hand in hand with accepting gay rights, women's rights, and freedom of religion. I don't think that's so far fetched a concept, and in order for that to happen, there has to be inclusion in government.

Again, the problems with Muslim populations in other countries, are usually caused by the ghettoization. Inclusion is the best strategy.

have any of you listened to what the Muslim man in question has to say?

i heard a long interview with the dude; he acknowledged that his being a Muslim is not the key principle of his political aspirations and that, as he said it, his extent of being a Muslim was "trying to keep up with his prayers and make it to the mosque on Friday". he actually sounds much more pro-African American (which we need in govt) than pro-Islam.

he's "kosher" by me.

I can't believe it, but this rep from Virginia is probably going to get away with saying such bigoted things. I think it's a good thing, that Minnesota elected a Muslim. And, Steve Harper, the crisis of Muslim populations in countries like France and England are due, in part, to the exclusion of Muslims from high powered positions.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind it if our neighborhoods started having more mosques, Turkish coffee shops and Middle Eastern food, so long as that went hand in hand with accepting gay rights, women's rights, and freedom of religion. I don't think that's so far fetched a concept, and in order for that to happen, there has to be inclusion in government.

Again, the problems with Muslim populations in other countries, are usually caused by the ghettoization. Inclusion is the best strategy.

Yup. as per the norm, it is usually issues of socio-economic status being masked by more surface issue titles such as islam vs. whatever.

In Houston, I know this entire Islamic complex is being built a few minutes away from my parents apartment. I am curious to see it when it is finished.

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, turkish food is the tits.

word, except you spelt criticism wrong. im not muslim but i respect if someone wants to believe in something. there will always be muslim people. judging them by some radicals is rediculous. we need to see people and life on more of an individual basis and realize there are always gonna be people who do outrageous seemingly senseless things, better they do it for their beliefs than cause of a rock song. fuck what the few radical muslims did but more than enough people paid for it with their lives. but anyway the thing with congressman goode shows the ignorance that we have while choosing the people who run our country. this guy like went through a time machine from the past to the future to say that shit or something. you should have to pass a standardized test before voting cause that fool is an asshole. i bet he respected ali. maybe one day the ignorance will be behind us and we can look back and recognize how disgusting and primitive that shit is. overall fuck that guy man. what a douchebag.

What you don't understand is that even though you respect Muslims for their beliefs, there are many Muslims that don't respect you for not having the same beliefs as them. The problem I have with Muslims is the so called moderates refuse to stand up to the radicals in a meaningful way.

What you don't understand is that even though you respect Muslims for their beliefs, there are many Muslims that don't respect you for not having the same beliefs as them. The problem I have with Muslims is the so called moderates refuse to stand up to the radicals in a meaningful way.

Sounds like Christians have that problem, too.

THIS IS TRUE OF ANY UNCHECKED IDEOLOGY. What you dont understand is that Islam is not special. It is no different than anything else. Christianity, Islam, who fuckin gives a rats ass. They are all oppressive in different incarnations of the varying degrees of belief and practice. Science does the same as well. Truth has a way of suppressing all that isn't and since most truth is subjective to a given person or perception of belief, then most people's ideologies are disavowed or suppressed in some fashion.

In my own nihilism I do not allow the concept of truth beyond the relative aspect of it, so I suppress the relevance of any ideology as objectively true. This is a condition of human belief. It just so happens that Islam is in the forefront of our perception of ideological suppression and as such you can only see it and nothing else in that way.

Stop telling us we don't understand.