The next presidential election

fuse=--action

I'm worried that it will hinge on some false/ignorant promise of pulling us out of Iraq. And the only reason I'm worried about it is because I believe that, for the most part, people are idiots. I'm worried that some politician will make the bogus prromise of pulling us out of Iraq, and that the general population will fall for it.

Here's why such a promise would be false/stupid:

For a quite some time now, the middle east has been kept at a certain level of stability by the power dynamic between Iraq and Iran. We removed Sadam because our leaders saw him as a ruthless tyrant. They didn't bother to take into account the delicacy of middle eastern politics. If they had, they would have noticed that Sadam was a tyrant, but he was a very also effective ruler. You can tell me all day about how terrible he was as a person (killing his own countrymen and all that) but I'm already very aware of that. The problem that we have created by removing Sadam is that we have destroyed the balance between Iraq and Iran. We have created a virtually powerless Iraq. If we were to pull out any time soon, Iran would move definitely move in. Iraq would resist, but let's face it, all that would amount to is a lot of Iraqi deaths.

You may say, why does this matter to us? Well, Iran definitely has a nuclear program capable of producing nuclear arms in relatively short order, and they definitely do not like us. Also, taking control of Iraq would put them closer to Israel, which they have also expressed great dislike for.

In short, pulling out of Iraq any time soon could cause much more trouble in world affairs than staying. I don't think that the American population is attached to world events enough to realize this and that a false promise could lead them astray in the democratic process.

Share your thoughts and such.

-fuse.

p.s. This is my first crossfire thread.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

The Democrats just took the House and Senate. An exit strategy should be materializing (at least conceptually) sooner than the next election.

I'm completely ignorant as to what this could mean for the rest of the world but my guess is that people will continue killing one another in the name of religion, benevolence and civility right up until the end of man, regardless of what we do.

Of course that's no reason to stop trying.

hilary clinton vs rudy giulliani

Please god no !!!!

I feel it going that way too ...but I hope someone is smart enough to not let Hilary run to the top of the pile ... its not the right time for the first woman to get that office. Plus if she is the Dems choice they wont win. We have too much clean up to do after the last 6 years of this white house and 12 years of this senate/house.

I am very curious to see how the next two lame duck years roll out. I hope the Dems don't try to impeach Bush ... it would make a further mockery of the impeachment process after that same group of political spinners did it to Clinton.

I think you will see a black man as president before you see a white woman - I just dont think that Hillary Clinton would get voted in is why. However, about the election, i'm all for the Democrats here, republican presidents more often than not tend to make a mess of things - look at Harding, Hoover, Nixon especially, and more recently Bush jnr, with Iraq.

They didn't bother to take into account the delicacy of middle eastern politics. If they had, they would have noticed that Sadam was a tyrant, but he was a very also effective ruler. QUOTE]

This is a very good point that is becoming more apparent everyday. As terrible as Saddam was, it's the only way to run a Muslim country composed of two sects that hate each other more than they hate Americans.

I think Obama can manage to transcend any racial prejudices brought upon by most WASPS with his brains and charisma. While whites historically vote in greater numbers than minorities, I think seeing a guy like Obama on the ballot will galvanize minorities to vote in far greater numbers. I've got high hopes for the man. OBAMA '08!

Why don't you name them? The most recent referance you've made was from like 1846...

ron paul, roscoe barlett, jimmy duncan, john murtha (just for his war position, he sucks on everything else) walter jones is decent... he is now against the war totally. david vitter. tom tancredo.

in my opinion ron paul is the only totally principled politician in congress.

notable politicians from this century include robert taft, howard buffet, albert ritchie, and james a reed.

I think you will see a black man as president before you see a white woman - I just dont think that Hillary Clinton would get voted in is why. However, about the election, i'm all for the Democrats here, republican presidents more often than not tend to make a mess of things - look at Harding, Hoover, Nixon especially, and more recently Bush jnr, with Iraq.

How can you leave out Reagan? The man was terrible. Crack, "trickle-down" economics, senility, congressional hearings on song lyrics with Frank Zappa, the "Moral Majority", evangalism, insane defense spending like "Star Wars", the list goes on.

How can you leave out Reagan? The man was terrible. Crack, "trickle-down" economics, senility, congressional hearings on song lyrics with Frank Zappa, the "Moral Majority", evangalism, insane defense spending like "Star Wars", the list goes on.

Yeah, we pretty much have Reagan to thank for the fucked up situation we are in today. Bush would not have been possible if Reagan had not paved the way.