rehab

HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing that can happen is for the dude to change other aspects of his life, along with the rehab. You can't be going to rehab, then hang out with the same people going to the same places...it generally doesn't work well.

The best thing in the world to do, if you are really looking to help dude out, is, get him away from the same old haunts. When you are hanging out with him, help reinforce the councelling by going to new places, being positive, not drinking or getting fucked up around him, suggesting whole new areas to go and maybe introduce him to some other people who aren't around the shit his is trying to get away from.

Its really gotta be a multi faceted attack on habits to make an impact.

I'm lazy and didn't read all the posts above.

I went to rehab, by my own deciscion. The place I was at used the 12 step program, which I think is total bullshit. Whatever, if it helps people, go ahead, but the best thing I got out of that place was the time with myself, and without drugs and alcohol. I was there for 3-4 months, came home, hung out with the same people at the same places, sober.

3 and a half years and counting.

I hope that helps, Heshy. I have some experience watching people close to me go down a spiral as far as you can get taking casualties the whole way down. Most of my extended family has been ravaged by some kind of addiction.

My Dad died an addict, broke, alone, and in a wheelchair, trying to wheel his way to the store to get more alchohol. He never could kick any of his habbits. I remeber him teaching me to make his drinks, I remember him callin to me from the bathroom when I was like 7 to get him all his "shootin up" eqipment from his bedroom. He'd get counselling, and then be sober for like 3 weeks. Then his buddies would help him celebrate his sobriety by throwing him a party with a keg, and coke, and everything else he didnt need at that time.

The only time he stayed sober for any length of time was when he wasn't in close proximity to the people and places where all of that shit was, AND he had other distractions, like family vacations, or visitng relatives who had their shit together......I dont know man. Best of luck to your buddy.

Straight edge is a shitty term for a people that have made the choice not to party, deal with it. Rum, my lifepartner in crime Dazem, HATES punkrock music, hates loud music . He likes Beck,Bjork,CCR and driving fine german autos.........nigguhs straight edge, in the sense that he doesn't like to get fucked up. Do you have to call yourself that? no. Do I call myself that? sort of, I used too but now I'm an adult that doesn't partake in your bullshit. got it? good

A few years ago I tried to check myself into an inpatient rehab clinic but since I wasnt suicidal they turned me away. They told me to try an outpatient program. I went one day. Nothing changed at all. I ended up going to jail repeatedly for numerous drug/alcohold related shit before I helped myself. I hope everything works out for your friend though...