Batman: The Dark Knight

Weapon X

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest spectr

ok i will rewatch the first batman sometime soon and see if it holds up to the test of time, i know its been about 5 years or so since ive seen it

no the first batman was the only good batman movie. everything else has been garbage granted batman begins was the second best but come shit really wasnt all that. weak plot, weak acting, weak batman, sorry to say it but it was weak.. but hey at least it wasnt batman and robin weak i will give it that.

Batman Begins was great. You know nothing-

i can wait for ghost rider movie to come out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIFWlnrV6d0

NO.

And the Tim Burton Batman flicks were ok, just a little too fantasy-based...They got to the point

where it was too cartoonish about where that Prince song starts in the first one.Bat-Dance like

whuuuut.

Nolan's version was pretty decent, even if it did take forever to get going..

this one shouldn't be too bad, provided he doesn't do something stupid like try to include Robin.

I'm hoping for a Harley Quinn appearance, though...

• 4 weeks later...

From Darkworlds

NEWS: Nolan talks DARK KNIGHT

On his BETTER THAN FUDGE blog, writer Josh Horowitz has posted an excerpt from his upcoming MEAN MAGAZINE interview with BATMAN BEGINS director Christopher Nolan, concerning the sequel:

Horowitz: Batman Begins dealt with a range of themes from revenge to how we confront fear. What themes will you be exploring in The Dark Knight?

Nolan: I suppose in loose terms I can say it’s about things having to get worse before they get better.

Horowitz: It’s that note the first film ends on of escalation?

Nolan: Very much.

Horowitz: Is there anything to be inferred from the name you’ve chosen for this film, The Dark Knight?

Nolan: Ultimately yes. [Laughs] But I’ll leave that for people to infer.

Horowitz: This is the cryptic portion of our chat.

Nolan: Yeah. [Laughs] The title has been chosen very specifically. It’s quite important to the film.

Horowitz: I take it [the Joker] will be less Cesar Romero and Jack Nicholson than the Joker we saw portrayed in a comic like The Killing Joke?

Nolan: Yes. I would certainly point to The Killing Joke but I also would point very much to the first two appearances of the Joker in the comic. If you look at where the Joker comes from there’s a very clear direction that fits what we’re doing very well.

AND THIS IS A POST BY A DUDE WHO KNOWS HIS COMICS ON ANOTHER BOARD I LIKE TO VISIT:

The Joker first appeared in BATMAN #1 (1940), courtesy of writer Bill Finger and artists Bob Kane and Jerry Robinson. Credit for the actual creation of the character has long been a bone of contention between Kane and Robinson. Robinson has claimed the inspiration came from a pack of playing cards, while Kane claimed to have come up with the character on his own. As for Finger, his contribution to the character can’t be denied. Finger, who was known for keeping a truly enormous reference file, rejected Kane’s initial sketch for the new villain as too clown-like, and provided the artists with photo stills from the 1928 film THE MAN WHO LAUGHS, which starred Conrad Veidt as an English nobleman who has had an unsettling smile permanently carved into his face. The makeup worn by Veidt was most creepy, and a clear inspiration for the Joker’s appearance. Note particularly the bags under the eyes, the creased brow and distinctive high hairline.

conrad.jpg

joker2.jpg

In the Joker’s first appearance, he’s not quite the wacky loon he would become in later appearances; however, he’s murderous as ever. Making his presence known via a radio announcement, the Joker declares his intention to kill millionaire Henry Claridge that very night at midnight and steal his famed Claridge Diamond. Despite the battalion of police guarding the millionaire, at the stroke of midnight Claridge drops to the floor, dead, with his facial muscles pulling back into a hideous smile.

smile.jpg

Furthermore, the police find that the diamond is already gone, having been replaced by a glass phony, accompanied by a playing card bearing the Joker’s likeness. As it turns out, the Joker had committed the crime the night before, injecting Claridge with a version of his Joker venom that takes 24 hours to take effect.

jokerinrepose.jpg

The Joker strikes again later that week, with a radio promise to steal the Ronkers Ruby and murder its owner. This time, the Joker, hiding inside an ornamental suit of armor, kills with a poison dart gun bearing his deadly Joker venom.

armor.jpg

The Batman first encounters the Joker while attempting to stop the murder of Gotham gangster Brute Nelson, who had been badmouthing Gotham’s newest criminal.

jokervsbatman.jpg

Joker proves to be a physical match for Batman, and the Joker manages to escape, and goes on to make his next radio threat, this time to Judge Drake, who had once sent him to prison. While the Judge seems safe, under the personal protection of Gotham’s Chief of Police, things are not always what they seem.

chiefjoker.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Toronto International Film Festival is going on right now.

I'm copying this out of the Toronto Star interview with Ledger.

Q How about playing the Joker in The Dark Knight? I have to admit, I would never have thought of you for the role.

A I wouldn't have thought of me, either. But it's obviously not going to be what Jack Nicholson did. It's going to be more nuanced and dark and more along the lines of a Clockwork Orange kind of feel. Which is, I think, what the comic book was after: less about his laugh and more about his eyes.

• 3 weeks later...

UPERHEROHYPE

Chris Nolan on The Dark Knight

Source: Melissa Greenwood August 30, 2006

ComingSoon.net sat in on an edit bay session with director Chris Nolan for The Prestige (lots more on that next week!) and the helmer talked a bit about both his blockbuster hit Batman Begins and its upcoming sequel, The Dark Knight.

Nolan said he was very surprised by Batman Begins' success, "for the simple reason that I felt we had really poured our hearts out in making a good film and that on our own terms we had succeeded. I never really expected to satisfy critics and Batman fans and regular audiences equally. I mean I thought maybe we'd get two points on the drawing board if you like, but the fact that all three seemed to respond well, that was a big surprise to me. I mean it felt like you were going to lose one aspect or someone… I think we were very fortunate in that regard, it's very gratifying."

Talking about the follow-up, in which Heath Ledger will play The Joker opposite Christian Bale, he mentioned that they're changing things up. "I think what people responded to well about 'Batman Begins' is how different it was from their expectations so I think we would be foolish to not recognize that and to [try to replicate that now predictable blueprint]. I think we'll be doing something very different for the sequel. I certainly wouldn't have any interest in trying to repeat experience or the formula we've made, because particularly being the origin story, it's a very unique thing, a very singular experience. My interest would sort of be to move on from that and to do something quite different."

The Dark Knight is coming in June of 2008. The Prestige, starring Hugh Jackman, Bale, Michael Caine, Scarlett Johansson, Rebecca Hall, Andy Serkis, Piper Perabo and David Bowie, opens October 20.

AND

Caine Starts Filming The Dark Knight in March

Source: Michael Caine September 25, 2006

Michael Caine says on his official website that he will reprise the role of Alfred Pennyworth in The Dark Knight starting in March:

In January I start shooting a remake of "Sleuth" with Jude Law directed by Kenneth Branagh with a very different screen play from the original by Harold Pinter. After that in March I reprise my Butler roll in the second "Batman" again directed by Christopher Noland starring Christian Bale. This one is "The Joker" and the Joker is Heath Ledger. Great casting.

Visit the link above for more of his post.